What was your Favourite Edition of 40k?

What was your Favourite Edition of 40k?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5th Edition was where I played the most games and I really did enjoy the rulesets, even with some of the gaping flaws of Codex Creep etc.

4th isn't far behind, where I started my 40K journey 17 years ago (Eek! :eek:) alongside 6th Edition. But 6th's introduction of Flyers certainly presented a very unfun arms race of 'you must have flyers or you're gonna have a bad time'.

The later editions I've only played sparingly, but 8th was pretty decent as was 9th. 7th I was far too intimidated on the complexity from what I was familiar with.

Cambrius

I started in mid 5th but didn't play until 6th, but I have to be honest. I loved them because of the rules for/from Apocalypse, The Badab War, and Imperial Armor 2 (I still miss rules for the Land Raider Ares...)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved 7th, and it's formations. I thought it made sense to have forces that would assist and buff each other like the Land Speeder spotting for Whirlwinds. Though I do admit some of them were broken (looking at you Gladius Strike force free transports) I liked them the same way I liked the Apoc Formations from 5th.

My Love for 8th is really a love for the launch of it, I liked the clean slate of it all. It was nice having everything Imperium in 2 books plus the FW indexes. I thought there was some good streamlining of things too, as much as I liked templates from a tactile point of view, they were also not always clear and too easy to forget on a table somewhere. I also liked the Land Raider Design rules from the first Chapter Approved, and the Codex Supplements weren't too bad either. I just wish that the second SM codex hadn't come out just before 9th released, that was sort of a kick in the jimmy and a big chunk of the reason I didn't play any 9th.

5th overall. The actual rules in 5th were almost perfect, except for wound allocation for mixed profile units. 

The armies also generally had a lot of customization and flavor, but without pointless bloat (e.g. strats) or gimmicks like allies and flyers. It was also the edition of the Dark Eldar relaunch, and the second best codex ever written, being 5e DE.

On the other hand, Chaos Space Marines, my all time favorite faction, were in an absolute mess with a barely playable heap of a codex if you wanted to play anything remotely thematic. Also, I have PTSD from 5E biker Nobs.

Edited by Rain

21 hours ago, Scribe said:

You love to see that core 3rd-5th experience.

8j6tfg.jpg

4 hours ago, Rain said:

5th overall. The actual rules in 5th were almost perfect, except for wound allocation for mixed profile units. 

The armies also generally had a lot of customization and flavor, but without pointless bloat (e.g. strats) or gimmicks like allies and flyers. It was also the edition of the Dark Eldar relaunch, and the second best codex ever written, being 5e DE.

On the other hand, Chaos Space Marines, my all time favorite faction, were in an absolute mess with a barely playable heap of a codex if you wanted to play anything remotely thematic. Also, I have PTSD from 5E biker Nobs.

I only hit the last page on the thread, but these two have basically stated everything I'd like to say on the topic.

If they had only kept the points system and the foc, then 10th might have been more comparable to 5th:ermm:

Some of us, are just never going to get over, this lascannon has the same value as a heavy bolter logic:laugh:

I'm not sure you can call it logic:tongue:

Edited by Emperor Ming

37 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

If they had only kept the points system and the foc, then 10th might have been more comparable to 5th:ermm:

Some of us, are just never going to get over, this lascannon has the same value as a heavy bolter logic:laugh:

I'm not sure you can call it logic:tongue:

Im from the opposite perspective... I never got the logic of the difference between a lascannon and heavy bolter being focused on points rather than pure functionality all those years ( I dont know if thats true for these weapons specifically). It was something I always considered kind of lazy resulting in army building thats more remniscent of doing groceries with a limited income than tactical planning for the next game.

However a heavy bolter/lascannon and a bolter, that I do agree on, it cannot be the same point cost. And even for my taste ( who prefers less different point profiles to work with.) the steps taken went too far. You have a bare core, then a + per model added to the unit and a different + for adding a heavy weapon and a different + for a special weapon etc. but to differ those among each other, thats where you use good game design.

Mind you, from what I undertand they still cant do that right, but at least with the current mechanic Im naively hopeful they will at least try harder...... next edition.... maybe

Not trying to be argumentive or change your mind, I know alot love the "grocery shopping" list building, just explaining it from the other side of the coin. ;)