why can an inquisitor wear terminator armor?

Go to solution Solved by AutumnEffect,

I seem to remember that terminator has a long list of requirements to wear it. so in theory, if I have a suit of terminator armor at home, could I wear it just as well as a unmodified inquisitor?

I've wondered the same thing.

Frankly, the scale creep from the original Malleus Terminator models and the modern plastics feels like a feature and not a bug: it is still identifiable as terminator armour, and it has the same stats... But looking at it on the table, in a full Terminator force, the Inquisitor would stand out from across the room as the little guy.

Terminator armour... but made for humans, not 8' tall genetic monstrosities.

11 hours ago, terminator ultra said:

I seem to remember that terminator has a long list of requirements to wear it. so in theory, if I have a suit of terminator armor at home, could I wear it just as well as a unmodified inquisitor?

Since Power Armor can be worn by unaugmented humans then I see no reason why Terminator armour designed for a normal human is impossible. They don't have access to all of the same systems that having a Black Carapace would allow, but you can still wear 'powered armour'.

An Inquisitor has, in theory, unlimited authority. Commissioning the right people and pulling the correct strings, they could get a suit of custom terminator armour. 
But I think it would be just that: custom. Even standard pattern terminator armour isn't something that you can pull off a shelf at the local Forge World.

Just like a SoB in power armor, unaugmented humans can use terminator armor, as there are no requirements to operate the armor that requires genetic/body modification. Without a black carapace however, the armor is less responsive and harder to control- the black carapace directly links an Astartes' nervous system with the armor, allowing for a smooth interaction between the though-impulses required for movement. A normal human, like a Sororitas, uses power armor in a way where the armor responds to the body's movement rather than the brain's instruction, making them have a delay in decision to move and actual movement. A veteran Sororitas, or other frequent non-Astartes power armor user, can minimize this delay through experience but it will always be there, making them just slightly worse in wearing the armor than Astartes.

This impacts terminator armor even more, as the massive armor plates and servo-muscles require even Astartes to move in a more deliberate and restrained way. It can take terminator-equipped SM quite a while to get used to the movement, as referenced in at least one novel about the Deathwing from a newcomer's perspective. Terminator armor even to Astartes is more of an exo-suit rather than bonded armor, as it was originally intended to be (termie armor is basically a modified exo-suit that was made for mining/exploring dangerous areas). 

Both SoB and Inquisition power armor is noted as smaller than Astartes armor, so it would be logical that a baseline human set of terminator armor would also be smaller than an Astartes one. Still quite large, but not the walking tank that is a terminator Space Marine. There are plenty of depictions of Terminator armored Inquisitors, from the old mini to those in novels like Inquisitor Sabbathiel (who has a terminator suit she wears for especially dangerous missions*). 

* Side note- do not look at the graphic novel depictions of Sabbathiel if you want to make sense of the physical aspects of terminator armor- they are wildly weird and anatomically crazy. More like a SoB Paragon Warsuit in style than what you would think of as a terminator.

I was gonna say cause it looks cool.....gallery_26778_17325_244769.jpg

but also in theory as an Inquisitor progresses through the ranks he/she probably received enhancements to augment their bodies and had redundant life systems.    

The rudiments of terminator armor predate space marines entirely, so it makes sense that the exoframes it is based upon would be usable by baseline humans.

It probably works the same way power armor does. Marines are blessed with the Black Carapace implant. This allows them to interface with their armor as though it were a 2nd skin. It operates the same with terminator armor. Baseline humans typically use plug suits or cyber implants that function along the same principles but are less efficient. I imagine it allows a slight delay in the system. An inquisitor working with power armor moves just a bit before the armor does. They still move with great strength but their reflexes are slower and they have to lead all of their actions by just a bit.

Terminator armor is, technologically, just upsized and reinforced power armor with integrated weapons. However, even marines find that terminator armor, with its great bulk, has a delay. It kills their reflexes. Now, compound that for a baseline human, who is already slowed by normal power armor. They'd move like uncoordinated and concussed children. I imagine they'd have to practice a great deal to get to fighting shape. It would take more than the marine's amount of training but inquisitors are nothing if not focused and stubborn.

57 minutes ago, librisrouge said:

The rudiments of terminator armor predate space marines entirely, so it makes sense that the exoframes it is based upon would be usable by baseline humans.

And if I remember correctly a very very old piece of lore (souvenirs, souvenirs....), it was in fact a mitlitarization of a predating civil piece of gear initially used for maintenance of plasma reactor core (understand hot repair procedures). So no need for black carapace.

1 hour ago, Bouargh said:

it was in fact a mitlitarization of a predating civil piece of gear initially used for maintenance of plasma reactor core (understand hot repair procedures). So no need for black carapace.

wouldn't it be extremely heavy though? like 800+ pounds?

4 hours ago, WAR said:

I was gonna say cause it looks cool.....gallery_26778_17325_244769.jpg

but also in theory as an Inquisitor progresses through the ranks he/she probably received enhancements to augment their bodies and had redundant life systems.    

Oo, I'll play too - and will second that it looks ace :thumbsup:

gallery_62972_10721_396946.jpg

• Solution
45 minutes ago, terminator ultra said:

wouldn't it be extremely heavy though? like 800+ pounds?

That's where the powered part of power armour comes into play.

Terminator and Power Armour have internal powered exoskeletons that support and enhance the movements of the wearer.

There are some experimental exoskeletons in development right now, you can find some videos of them in action.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

That's where the powered part of power armour comes into play.

Terminator and Power Armour have internal powered exoskeletons that support and enhance the movements of the wearer.

There are some experimental exoskeletons in development right now, you can find some videos of them in action.

that makes sense thanks (but wouldn't a human/inquistor be too short?)

Edited by terminator ultra

you realize that would be like painting your eyes right? unpainted is the natural state of models and putting paint on them (that then hardens) stop them from breathing. all your models are dead right now.

8 hours ago, terminator ultra said:

that makes sense thanks (but wouldn't a human/inquistor be too short?)

That's why I said the armour would probably be custom designed for them. They wouldn't be able to wear a suit designed for Space Marines, no. But there are and have been suits designed for humans.