Ebon Chalice Tanks

Go to solution Solved by WAR,

Hey everyone.  

Long time for me to post here and or actually really do something with Sisters of Battle since the pandemic.  I got a bunch of boxes of shame for the new plastic sisters that been slowly gathering since the pandemic.  Now that I am actively trying to dive back into putting together a plastic army. I still want to go with the old 2ed Ebon Chalice look with a little blend of the more modern take GW did for them with the plastic launch.

Now here is the problem.  Years ago I did research and only found 1 mention anywhere that mentioned Ebon Chalice for their tanks.  With one Rhino being painted blood red.  While I do like the look.  Typical Sisters follow the Marine style of painting tanks.  With tank armor being black and the secondary being the main color.  In case of Ebon Chalice this be black and white/red. I know the game Soul Storm shows that set up the newer codexes also.

Thinking of following the same thing.  Problem is I am not actually very familiar with painting black tanks.  If anyone knows some good tutorials for that, or if can confirm the tanks are actually indeed blood red.  It would be great.  Will be a week or two before I am ready to paint the first tanks anyway.  Going to keep checking around.

Thanks all.

7 hours ago, Sume said:

Problem is I am not actually very familiar with painting black tanks.  If anyone knows some good tutorials for that

I have painted several tanks with black sections for my Alpha Legion, it's actually pretty simple. One of the key things is to drybrush the hard edges, as opposed to edge highlighting, which can give a 'neon'/Tron look to them. The drybrush is a) much much faster, and b) softer transitions. 

The black on these is:

1. spray chaos black
  2. paint over with abaddon black pot paint (as it has a satin finish as opposed to the matte spray)
  3. heavy edge drybrush eshin grey
  4. lighter edge drybrush codex grey

Alternatively, red is also easy

1. spray mephiston red
  2. all over coat of meph red pot paint
  3. shade recesses with agrax earthshade, skeleton horde, or either thinned 50/50 with contrast medium
  4. edge drybrush evil sunz scarlet
  5. edge drybrush wild rider. 

Hope that helps! 

large.IMG20231227201731.jpg.d593026e149b0bb4ce25046a9afce1db.jpglarge.IMG20231004171756.jpg.ce28621753a59abd854bd4e90f24b255.jpglarge.IMG20221013153539.jpg.49ef4adfcf38c285555430da092411f5.jpg

I did red with my previous force that I ended up selling a month before the widespread lockdowns. Very familiar with how I did that.  As I did indeed used the Khorne Red spray for a nice even base coat to start, then around 5 to 7 layers of watered down wakazda red and a massive brush.  I did end up edge highlighting with Evil Sunz Scarlet and then some Wild Ryder red.  Used the Carroburg Crimison in the edges.  Turned out rather well.

Black I still recall a few I painted nearly 20 years ago and I wanted to avoid the tron look for sure.  I will probably use the blue highlight I currently do on my armor instead.  To keep it a constant look.  Not a whole lot of videos I found about black tanks at least.  A lot of good ones for painting cameo for like guard.  Really didnt think about the dry brushing.  I been using it more often though as of late.  I found that a nice cheap make up brush is actually a wonderful tool to do dry brushing with.

Still as for the question of lore for tanks concerning Ebon Chalice, there is the one mention of the Rhino that is blood red on a 40k lexion.  Then I can't recall if it was the 8th or 9th ed codex that actually has an Ebon chalice tank painted.  Since the examples in the 2nd ed codex are for Martyr'd lady and I know most of the ones in Witchhunters are the same with some of the other orders.  Actually, I am pretty sure Bloody Rose comes up in the 2 newer codexes also.  Lore wise I do know Ebon Chalice has stuck with the same color schemes from the time they were known as the Daughters of the Emperor.  Maybe I am trying to find the wrong info and actually need to do some more digging on the Daughters of the Emperor.  Funny nearly 8 yeras later if you google search for a paint scheme on Ebon Chalice.  Google is going to show my thread here for the army and even images of my blood red tanks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, terminator ultra said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e044924a7ea3136b472c26f5d08c52c2.jpeg

to elaborate on this image, it is official and was in the card game in 2002. I don't know if it was still in date

That helps a bunch.  I didnt realize there was a card game back in 2002.  I poured over the 2nd ed, 3rd ed, 8th and 9th codexes also.  To see if GW had anything painted up for Ebon Chalice for a tank.  I dont recall if it was the 8th or the 9th that actually had one all black War posted up.  I do know when I first tried to find this information, I found on the 40k Lexium back in 2015/2016 just the one single blood red rhino.  I also own the Soul Storm RTS game that has them all black with white secondary.  Was trying to find something established as they are my favorite order.  Only thing I dislike about the 2nd color is the red highlights accenting the brazier area.  Don't feel its merited to draw attention to their chests if that makes sense.  The updated GW scheme kept the inner red robe, outer white robe, black armor, the silver bling, red gun casing, and black hair.  With the exception of the elite units using gold instead of silver for the shoulder bling.

The only actual GW vechile for Ebon Chalice I have found is in the 9th ed codex.  It's the tank displayed for the entry for Rhino.  

Edited by Sume

I think Agis did his original army in 3rd edition as it was in the chapter approved when we could take Redemptionist  as troops 

Edited by WAR
Remember what edition it was

I started to play 40k in 3rd ed.  At the time, one of the regular players that switched between fantasy and 40k showed me the different armies at the game store we played at.  Telling me the strengths and weaknesses of each.  Kept trying to push Space Marines on me.  Saw the Demonhunter codex and was intrigued.  Then the cover of the Witchhunters codex sold me on the army.  Later editions I soley miss the parts that got ripped out in 5th ed by Ward.

4 hours ago, Sume said:

I .  Later editions I soley miss the parts that got ripped out in 5th ed by Ward.

This is so true.  I need to resume working on my Order of the Valorous Heart  (and rebase them to match my other 40k armies). But I really am waiting for the codex so I can see what I want to do