New Combat Patrol with Codex Release

Posted (edited)

All the current 10th ed Codex releases have had new Combat Patrols, that have replaced the previous ones (so I expect this one will too).

Also: value wise, the MoP equals the DA, the Possessed are a one-to-one with the Havocs, and the Cultists are £7.50/$5 (USD) less than the Helbrute. So, less value, but not tremendously so. (Also depends on if it includes the Kill Team upgrades for the Legionaries, but they're not pictured.)

I kind of wish that (rather than the regular CSM box) they had included the Shadowspear monopose models (with the Autocannon) and two (formerly Greater) Possessed, letting them run a squad of 7.

Edited by LSM

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, LSM said:

All the current 10th ed Codex releases have had new Combat Patrols, that have replaced the previous ones (so I expect this one will too).

Also: value wise, the MoP equals the DA, the Possessed are a one-to-one with the Havocs, and the Cultists are £7.50/$5 (USD) less than the Helbrute. So, less value, but not tremendously so. (Also depends on if it includes the Kill Team upgrades for the Legionaries, but they're not pictured.)

I kind of wish that (rather than the regular CSM box) they had included the Shadowspear monopose models (with the Autocannon) and two (formerly Greater) Possessed, letting them run a squad of 7.

I hate when they do things like make those CSM from shadowspear and then a few years later there is no way to get them. After the box drops, I get it not hanging around forever. But at least sell the half boxes (like CSM half of shadowspear) at a much less discount. Now there are models that are 5 years old that you can't get. It's silly.

Good news for everyone getting new combat patrols is maybe the Death Guard one will be table top legal this time around instead of 30 Poxwalkers. 

On 4/23/2024 at 6:22 AM, Brother Nathan said:

Looks like getting to the point i may need to figure out how to make iron warrior possessed(yes its fine to use possesed but id prefer a less mutated more mechanical solution... 

I felt similar with my Iron Warriors, giving your flesh over to daemons doesn't quite fit with the whole Iron within, Iron without thing. I ended up kitbashing the possessed with intercessors, and painting them yellow. Handing over a bunch of captured Imperial Fists to be deamonhosts seems much more Iron Warriors to me.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:26 PM, TrawlingCleaner said:

I wonder why they're changing the current one? Either way, it's a nice Combat Patrol although way less shooty!

All the 10th codex updates changed the content of combat patrol box. Usually include models with fewer total MSRP.

35 minutes ago, Freakshow668 said:

I felt similar with my Iron Warriors, giving your flesh over to daemons doesn't quite fit with the whole Iron within, Iron without thing. I ended up kitbashing the possessed with intercessors, and painting them yellow. Handing over a bunch of captured Imperial Fists to be deamonhosts seems much more Iron Warriors to me.

I was recently flipping through the 2002 Chaos Collectors Guide, and it has a picture of an Andrew Lewis' Iron Warriors army, which include a five-man Possessed unit. One is painted up as a Blood Angel, one an Ultramarine, and one is even converted out of an Eldar Guardian.

The (3.5) Codex of the time says that Iron Warriors Possessed are "unusual in that they harness bound Daemonic energies to power an array of cybernetic enhancements" but the trick is finding the bits to do it. It also creates an issue if you want to actually (mostly) use the Possessed kit, so "daemons stuffed into POWs" is a nice solution.

I've gotten Word Bearers vibes from both these Combat Patrols, so I'd say like the current one it's great for those kinds of army, but it's still good overall.

That said, I feel I'm one of the only people looking forward to their faction getting a new combat patrol, since there's a slim possibility that it will decrease the amount of Tzaangors in ours.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:37 AM, LSM said:

I was recently flipping through the 2002 Chaos Collectors Guide, and it has a picture of an Andrew Lewis' Iron Warriors army, which include a five-man Possessed unit. One is painted up as a Blood Angel, one an Ultramarine, and one is even converted out of an Eldar Guardian.

The (3.5) Codex of the time says that Iron Warriors Possessed are "unusual in that they harness bound Daemonic energies to power an array of cybernetic enhancements" but the trick is finding the bits to do it. It also creates an issue if you want to actually (mostly) use the Possessed kit, so "daemons stuffed into POWs" is a nice solution.

Yeah, my Alpha Legion collection has a full 10-man Possessed squad, but they're all painted in various loyalist chapters.  Great little narrative bit about "We won't do this, but we're not above shoving daemons into POWs."