Black Library app removed from App store and deleted from iphone.

Ive not seen any users here talking about it, but a watcher of my videos reached out to me yesterday and apparently the Black Library app has been removed from the App store (unknow about the playstore) in Canada, which removes the app from the iphone. This user had close to $500CAD worth of audio books they can no longer access.  

The user received no email or warning from either GW/Black Library or from Apple/App store.  Their refund policy also appears to only cover things bought this year so with most purchases being over a year old they are up the proverbial creek. 

Any other Frater seen this or use the BL app on iphone?

-Bando

I just found it on the app store in the UK 'Black Library Audio'.  It's also still on my phone from when I used it many years ago (before finding audible).

Curiously the audiobooks that I did buy a few years ago have now disappeared, with no obvious way to bring them back.  

19 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

I just found it on the app store in the UK 'Black Library Audio'.  It's also still on my phone from when I used it many years ago (before finding audible).

Curiously the audiobooks that I did buy a few years ago have now disappeared, with no obvious way to bring them back.  

i did check the UK store which does still have it. 

Black Library Audio app still exists in the USA play store.  

Is your viewer from Quebec?  I know they banned all companies that don't offer French, and GW said 'Lol ok' and just removed services from Quebec.

If that's the issue, tell him to take it up with his local government. 

Edited by DemonGSides

I'm Canadian, from Ontario.

Never used the Black Library app, but just searched for it on the Google Play store and I cannot find it. 

Could be related Quebec's Bill 96. Warhammer+ wasn't available for Canadians for a small period of time due to that. 

Edited by killersquid

Can our Canadian frater still log into the website and access their purchases?

I’ve had issues where the BL app doesn’t show all my purchases, but I believe at least they show when you login on the website

13 minutes ago, killersquid said:

I think it's due to company's which offer content have to include Canadian content in order to exist here, and gw has no can-con, so are not allowed.

Coming next month, the Iron Bluejays hailing from the Icy World of Toron Toh. Famous for their riding caps worn on their helmets. 

Black Library app doesn’t seem available in the app store. Oddly enough, warhammer tv, which is the app that would potentially be affected by the can con rules is still up. As far as I know, the can con rules apply only to streaming video content (Netflix, Prime, etc) not to e-books or even audiobooks.

As an aside, is the person in Quebec? Quebec only allows sales of items that have french translations also for sale. I know GW sells french translations of almost all their products. Not sure why they would have pulled the whole app even if that was the case though, they could have just removed the books without translations until they were available.

I absolutely hate the fact that we don't own what we pay for. Legal compliance being the reason or not, the idea that the company can remove access to purchased content from users and not refund them for all purchases is preposterous.

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

I absolutely hate the fact that we don't own what we pay for. Legal compliance being the reason or not, the idea that the company can remove access to purchased content from users and not refund them for all purchases is preposterous.

It's the same with digital video games, digital movies/television shows, any kind of medium there. Unless you have the ability to and actually follow up on backing the files up locally, they're gone the second the service is unavailable.

There's a reason physical mediums (records, books, etc.) are quite popular amongst some of the people working in the tech industry*. It's quite hard for BL, or any company for that matter, to take away the Siege of Terra books I physically have.

* They're also popular elsewhere of course, but I think there's a more direct population of them amongst the people that work in or adjacent to this sort of stuff. Being that close to it, you learn really quickly that you don't have any control over something someone else has.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Yep. If anyone really enjoys something and wants to hold on to it, they should have a hard copy of it somewhere. Either printed, on physical media, or a digital version on a drive they own.

5 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

This is exactly why I will always be in support of physical books for rules.

4 hours ago, Cenobite Terminator said:

GW  should have made a press release with a full explanation. This is no way to treat a paying customer.

Heh, people keep raving about "incredible GW customer service", years after it's gone downhill.

Edited by Kastor Krieg