Time for the storm fang to go public?

Probably not any time remotely soon for the simple reason they would have to recast the kit. It's bedecked in Space Wolves paraphernalia. I bought the engines of one for a conversion and there's runes even on their housing I have to cover up. The Storm Raven's Blood Angel and Grey Knight sigils were just optional tack-ons.

The flying longship's probably going to remain space viking exclusive.

Edited by AutumnEffect

As a dedicated codex thumper I will respectfully decline the "opportunity" to have access to the fruits of fenrisian innovation on the grounds of most of them just being appalingly ugly.

Not to mention that for some vehicles it makes fluff sense to be exclusive, like death company dreadnoughts (the innards), land speeder vengeance (DA don't share), or the Stormfang (built around Helfrost tech).

If it was something like the Nephilim Jet it would make sense as that one allegedly got shared around a bit (much to the dark angels chagrin) or the Librarian Dreadnought (why would the Bangles NOT share?). Though admittedly the latter one appeals to me mostly due to the general appeal of character dreads. Imagine a Dreadnought ancient, or a techdread, or even something silly like an apothedread.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tacitus said:

Arent you the guy who says if you want to play Codex Compliant Marines don't ask for bespoke stuff?  And now you're asking for bespoke stuff? 

I’m just pointing out that several unique units from other chapters have gone vanilla, maybe it’s time for this one.

im not asking for anything ‘Bespoke’ I’m saying SW like BT and BA have a lot of bespoke stuff, so they can afford to lose exclusive access to this without hurting how unique they are.

i thought about the DW plane, but they don’t have that many truly unique units, so it makes sense for them to retain exclusivity over their plans.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I don't think there's much in the SW line that lends itself to generic-ization.

The Storm Raven was certain chapter specific, but it doesn't have anything inherently BA or GK about it. Easy to port it over.  I can't think of anything that's SW that isn't also festooned with bits and bobs featuring wolves and pelts.

They're more likely to make a new version and call it something else than make a Stormwolf available for all as it currently is. 

Edited by DemonGSides

15 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

Throne please, nothing more with Storm in it. Marines already have so much.

Just call it the Inclimate Weather Bird and have done.

The Drizzle Ship has a nice ring to it.

But as others have said, why would the Storm Fang become a generic vehicle?  It is very much a SW thing. 

1. They don't sell well

2. They don't really fit current primaris aesthetics well

3. GW stopped making chapter exclusive vehicle products for quite a long time. 

Stormfang would stay with SW. If there is any other destination choice, it can only be: legendary.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:10 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Over the years the BT lost exclusive access to the LR crusader, and the BA and GK lost shared access to the storm Raven, so is there any justification for keeping the storm fang exclusive to the SW?

To be brutally honest at the time BT lost exclusive access to the Crusader GW wasn't really supporting BT in general. BT and SoB still exist because they have stubborn player bases. The Storm Raven becoming part of the marine book IMO had more to do with the Heldrake than anything.  That thing was a terror in 6th, and the storm talon which was meant to be the generic marine flyer was an awful answer for one. The fact that they don't look chapter specific doesn't hurt, but I think it was more of a convenient solution to that problem than any other factor. 

As far as why I don't think they would make the storm wolf available to more chapters?

1) I don't think it did that well in the first place. 

2) I suspect at some point there will be a Primaris flyer, and with how fast they change editions I don't think we will be waiting too long.

3) As a space wolf player I suspect we're going to start losing things soon, and it's going to be the consolation prize. 

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter

2 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

1. They don't sell well

2. They don't really fit current primaris aesthetics well

3. GW stopped making chapter exclusive vehicle products for quite a long time. 

Stormfang would stay with SW. If there is any other destination choice, it can only be: legendary.

Baal Predator.  Furioso/Deathcompany Dread.  Libby Dread.  Ravenwing Dark Talon, Nephilim Jet Fighter, Dark Shroud, Vengeance. Bjorn. Murderfang. 

1 hour ago, Tacitus said:

Baal Predator.  Furioso/Deathcompany Dread.  Libby Dread.  Ravenwing Dark Talon, Nephilim Jet Fighter, Dark Shroud, Vengeance. Bjorn. Murderfang. 

Baal predator released at 2010

BA special dreads 2011

Nephilim and darkshrould 2013

Stormfang 2014

Today is 2024. 

3 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Baal predator released at 2010

BA special dreads 2011

Nephilim and darkshrould 2013

Stormfang 2014

Today is 2024. 

The Space Wolf dreads also came out in 2014 iirc.

Doesn't feel like a decade...

Stop reminding me how old I'm getting, Frater. I don't come here for existential crises.

Edited by AutumnEffect

We had one. It was called the Caestus Assault Ram and was used up until the Badab War when after 10,000 years of faithful and unerring service for some inexplicable reason all the marine chapter turned them all in to their local forge world and now only the first born marines remember how legendary they were. I loved that vehicle. Yeah its legends in both 30k? and 40k but its ridiculous priced combined with how bad they screwed over aircraft make it pretty unusable except in very large Apoc games.

It's a flying land raider.

It isn't great. It's overcosted.

Open it up everyone. Embrace the doggo.

Rename it stormfang, and stormfang gunship.

*Shrugs*

21 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Not going to happen because the vehicles has Space Wolf design elements and iconography as a core part of the model in all configuration. 

It'd neccessitate a new sprue that pretty much just contains alternate bits for all the bits from the other 3 sprues that have wolfy bits.

Feel like that's a pretty tall ask, but not inconceivable, just very very unlikely.