Notable inclusions are;

• Fiction/Lore article for Necrons, plus a 14-page gallery of miniatures
  • Final installment of Tale of Four Warlords
  • Golden Demon winner Martin Waller's Deathwatch force
  • New rules for Boarding Actions
  • Final part of the studio's Necromunda campaign
  • Three short stories(?)
  • Ultimate installment of John Flindall's Tome Keepers serial

And of course, most importantly, a tease for White Dwarf 500.

image.png?ex=661d2cf5&is=660ab7f5&hm=268

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

Wow.. issue 500 is pretty incredible. Don't think there are that many magazines around now that have lasted that long.

My first issue was 126 (the Eldar issue), making me feel rather old!

Keep in mind they reset the numbers a while back, so the real number of magazines is much higher.

Edit: apparently a while back means 2014, though they did make it a weekly release for the first 131.

Edited by Nephaston
more info

So reading the Wikipedia page on the subject:

"White Dwarf continued to be published on a monthly basis until issue #409, January 2014. On 1 February 2014, the magazine moved to a 32-page format, published weekly and renumbered from issue 1... The weekly version of White Dwarf lasted for 131 issues and in September 2016 the magazine returned to its monthly format, also subsuming Warhammer Visions. "

Counting from 2016 (1 issue per month) they must have gone back to 409 (the monthly issue count) and then continued to count from that one to get to 500 now.

Goodness, I had dropped out of following WD in the early 10s (after the drop in quality around the infamous 'Giant Issue'). But as a company they were just so awful around that time; starting WD from issue 1 again (and thereby invalidating the proud history of the mag) absolutely feels like the sort of thing that was going on at that time - in amongst Finecast, perennial price rises, RoW sale bans and shooting out C&D notices to all and sundry like they were candy.

I don’t mind them either, as just another random Chapter amongst many.  Trouble is they seem to be taking the place where we would have gotten lore on any one of a thousand other minor Chapters (which I’m pretty sure was the idea in the first place).  WD needs to maintain a balance between their own boys and other random Chapters in their internal stories.

14 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Nope, all included this issue 500 is technically Issue 909.

As @Pacific81 points out, there were 409 monthly issues from the 1970s until 2014, then 131 weekly issues from 2014-2016, then restarted monthlys effectively from #410 (although it wasn't until #450 that they restarted a numbered issue on the cover), so total issues next month will be 631 (500 of which are monthly, 131 weekly).

3 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I don’t mind them either, as just another random Chapter amongst many.  Trouble is they seem to be taking the place where we would have gotten lore on any one of a thousand other minor Chapters (which I’m pretty sure was the idea in the first place).  WD needs to maintain a balance between their own boys and other random Chapters in their internal stories.

Or you know, not-Marines.

I think WD needs to help GW maintain the balance between Marines and not-Marines.

If I was in charge of WD, I would release material in reverse Codex order, so the poor chumps who get their dex last get something from WD in the beginning of the edition, and so that those who got all their toys during edition honeymoon still have some novelty coming their way at the end of the ride.

4 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

I think WD needs to help GW maintain the balance between Marines and not-Marines.

If I was in charge of WD, I would release material in reverse Codex order, so the poor chumps who get their dex last get something from WD in the beginning of the edition, and so that those who got all their toys during edition honeymoon still have some novelty coming their way at the end of the ride.

I agree with you, but this has being going on for an awfully long time. I remember a friend at school (around 1990) complaining when marines got given T4 as part of an expansion and became 'super humans' in the fluff. You already had the plastic marine boxset (RTB01) which was cheaper than the mostly metal Orks, and tons more minis available so almost everyone collected them.. unfortunately, that is what sells, so its what gets the coverage and the releases!

On 4/1/2024 at 7:35 AM, Joe said:

• Ultimate installment of John Flindall's Tome Keepers serial

So its no longer Callum Davis writing them. Huh. Sadly, I cannot say that I noticed.
I keep hoping the Tome Keeper stories can be good, the chapter has such untapped thematic potential.
Alas, we keep getting lead where we could be mining gold.

14 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Totally agree wrt the marines/non-marines split.  I was only referring to the marines section within that.  While I like the idea of reverse releasing material, I’m not sure that we would ever get that kind of service from GW.  Hell, I’m not convinced that they even know what they have planned for codex #98 when they have just released codex #1 of a new edition.