10 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Perhaps the two eyes on the shield decoration symbolise Big Horus and Little Horus.

One is representing the legion, the red eye is Horus' personal symbol wich was also used by marines with close ties to the Horus' and his legion like Sanguinius.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

Great model. I like the helmet but this is one of the very few models/characters where I feel the bare head is required and they nailed this one. Possibly my favourite bare headed sculpt. Really looks like he has had his face peeled off and stuck back on.

I really like the armor this model has, and I think the sword and board looks great with that Cthonian helmet. I do wish it came with a giant, two handed style Mourn-it-all option as well, but that's wishful thinking.  

I'd forgotten that Aximand had ever used a shield in the books as recent memories of him were in Slaves to Darkness and Solar War - I think I'd have preferred him wielding his blade two-handed like the art as an homage to the epic scene where he starts stalking towards Sigismund aboard the Persephone. Brilliant model overall, there's so much to love about it, and the first purchase I'll add to my Sons of Horus since I stopped playing them in 2017. Awesome job by the sculptor.

Now that we've cleared all the Beta-Garmon campaign book releases, I hope they show us the melee weapons pack(s) asap.

8 hours ago, Nephaston said:

That is if they don't knock out an Overseer sculpt or two before that.

Beta-garmon is to be released next week. So, I doubt that.

9 hours ago, Marshal Loss said:

Now that we've cleared all the Beta-Garmon campaign book releases, I hope they show us the melee weapons pack(s) asap.

Will GeeDubs have the balls to do White Scars next? They are the main adversaries of the Sons of Horus in Beta Garmon.

5 minutes ago, The Scorpion said:

Beta-garmon is to be released next week. So, I doubt that.

Tomorrow. It's being released tomorrow.

Lol man is aximand boring.

His warlord trait stands him up from losing his wounds; loken gets a LD test to stand up regardless of instant death AND has a warlord trait. 

He has a big honking shield, that is mostly over written by his iron halo and only bounces a str 4 when you pass an invul...

His sword of...debatably larg girth, one of the very first named weapons used by a character along with garo's libertas, is a 5+ murderous strike.

He's literally just a paragon praetor who doesn't get a warlord trait, and looks extra uninteresting next to every other SoH named character (and there's a lot of those now).

On 4/6/2024 at 4:43 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

Lol man is aximand boring.

His warlord trait stands him up from losing his wounds; loken gets a LD test to stand up regardless of instant death AND has a warlord trait. 

He has a big honking shield, that is mostly over written by his iron halo and only bounces a str 4 when you pass an invul...

His sword of...debatably larg girth, one of the very first named weapons used by a character along with garo's libertas, is a 5+ murderous strike.

He's literally just a paragon praetor who doesn't get a warlord trait, and looks extra uninteresting next to every other SoH named character (and there's a lot of those now).

He has basically the standard Armour of Pride warlord trait, which isn’t that good, except with a shooting phase reaction. The stupid thing is that he’s objectively worse than Marr, whose rules are on the next page, while costing more points to take. That Castigatus combat shield doesn’t make sense at all. He’d be better off without it, because it robs him an attack. He’s downright shamefully badly written. There has got to be a mistake in the rules with the shield at least. Why would he have it?

28 minutes ago, Mardi said:

He has basically the standard Armour of Pride warlord trait, which isn’t that good, except with a shooting phase reaction

Oh man, I didn't even realize that was a base trait lol; kinda proves how low value it is considering my SoH opponents have never taken it. Both seem to be shooting phase though, which definitely gives the vibe that his rules were tossed together and the model...might not have originally been meant to be Aximand.

59 minutes ago, Mardi said:

That Castigatus combat shield doesn’t make sense at all. He’d be better off without it, because it robs him an attack. He’s downright shamefully badly written. There has got to be a mistake in the rules with the shield at least. Why would he have it?

The uh, "good" news is that aximand has no pistol or other weapon available to give him that extra attack. But ya, the shield basically does nothing rules wise, and is doubly funny that it's a boarding shield when he's only ever had a combat shield in the odd short story.

Yeah Aximand's rules are unfortunately a bit pants. It's weird given that he's consistently described across both the earlier Abnett and later (e.g. French's Solar War) material as a strategic genius. I get that they wanted to play up his parallels with Loken but leaning into that tactician aspect would have made more sense to me than yet another 'gets back up' SoH ability and helped to differentiate him from the many other XVI characters.

I was also surprised to see that Aximand doesn't appear in the Beta-Garmon campaign book's narrative at all - he's listed as a name under the traitor host, but that's it.

18 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Oh man, I didn't even realize that was a base trait lol; kinda proves how low value it is considering my SoH opponents have never taken it. Both seem to be shooting phase though, which definitely gives the vibe that his rules were tossed together and the model...might not have originally been meant to be Aximand.

The uh, "good" news is that aximand has no pistol or other weapon available to give him that extra attack. But ya, the shield basically does nothing rules wise, and is doubly funny that it's a boarding shield when he's only ever had a combat shield in the odd short story.

Ah, crap I misremembered the rules on both accounts. Yeah, idk why they didn’t bother to make an unique warlord trait for such an unique character. Seems like a quick and dirty work to be honest. That combat shield is just plain weird. I have a suspicion that they are going to release Castigatus combat shields soon with plastic breachers, or an upcoming exemplary battle book with Chieftain squads in it. I mean he’s not terrible for 170 points, Marr is just better for 160 points. Aximand is just very bland compared to similar characters lorewise like Pollux, Dynat or Sedras.