GW nuking model lines

The topic is only something to talk about because of AOS, but I think 40K fans should likewise be concerned.

for those who haven’t heard GW is nuking like the entire original storm cast range and sending them to legends.

obviously this is concerning for marine players, considering a lot of FB units could get this treatment, and even some primaris units like suppressors seem like they could potentially face this treatment.

I'm most mad about the Warcry stuff, honestly. Those are some really nice minis.

But yeah this does not bode well. Most of these kits aren't even that old and there's some really nice minis getting the boot. Also the entire Bonesplitterz/Savage Orc line getting culled is awful.

Some first born units could go away?? This is a new and surprising turn of events that I could never have imagined! 

To be less sarcastic, suppressors did cross my mind when seeing this news. Some of the older stuff going wasn't such a big surprise but seeing so much of the Stormcast go, which are quite recent models was unexpected. Obviously some will be getting new models like the Liberators (who got a glow up in my opinion, the new Stormcast are much better than the old) but I wonder if some units are just gone. 

It feels like confirmation that GW does not plan on supporting any models for competitive play (or even for fun, regardless of what they say) for longer than a decade, and everyone should assume that your model collection is on borrowed time to contribute to GW’s model churn needs for their continued money-making.  Yes, even early Primaris Marines are likely in this category, because the company sells models, not games - which makes you “wonder” (hint, this is sarcasm) why they sell certain things at all, and why they don’t just sell individual models that could be squads if you buy enough instead.

At this point, GW really should invest in a degradable or recyclable polymer for their models - chucking (especially in the garbage) several hundred/thousand points worth of models in a 5-10 year old range that last effectively forever is just really wasteful.  No one that is good with models going out this quick should have any issue with that either…

Edited by Bryan Blaire

What's most wild to me is getting rid of models that came out within the past 3-6 years.

There's always been the adage of build how you like because the rules change, but I don't think anyone thought that units were getting cycled out of sale/any mainline support after 6 years. That'd be like if blade guard and outriders and such got removed for 11th.

Forget churn with points and options, they're just making churn with units for sale now.

After looking at the list in the WarCom article, I'm surprised about those ranges having so many kits in the first place.

People have joked often about the number of new primaris units since 2017, but the Stormcast line alone seems to have been equally bloated and I can't believe they have comparable sales numbers. It seems to me that GW tried to push these factions unsucessfully in AoS and they finally have decided to cut their losses, or to try again them in TOW.

In comparison, I think 40k is already past its big purge of older/commercially unsuccessful models (with some exceptions), and GW has been comparatively more cautious. Using Kill Team kits as tests of popularity, and giving new ranges or refreshes only the bare minimum needed (like with LoV or WE)

16 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

What's most wild to me is getting rid of models that came out within the past 3-6 years.

There's always been the adage of build how you like because the rules change, but I don't think anyone thought that units were getting cycled out of sale/any mainline support after 6 years. That'd be like if blade guard and outriders and such got removed for 11th.

Forget churn with points and options, they're just making churn with units for sale now.

I think this is the real concern and some folks here and elsewhere are missing it.

Its not that Stormcast are being nuked or that some of their 'oldest' kits are going away.

Its that nearly the entire range from scarcely two editions (a mere blip these days with GWs accelerated cycle) got fully nuked. Its like having everything in Indomitus suddenly getting nuked at once right now!

Thats insane, especially since most collectors I know at least tend to build their armies over fairly long spans of time, this is peak 'if only someone could help me spend my bags of money!' thinking.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Stormcast and Marines are going to suffer the triennial bloat that comes with being the poster boys of each new edition, so if new lines are added (e.g the totally unnecessary Infernus marines)  rather than updated (e.g new terminators), then sooner or later something that is still 'new' will eventually have to go. 

I don't know a lot about Stormcasts, and Space Marines are different because of the Firstborn legacy line, but maybe 11th will see things like Suppressors, Aggressors, Inceptors get rotated out rather than redone, and it will seem like it's too soon but it'll turn out they're 12 years old or something equally mental. 

GW are releasing new models and kits at a staggering rate.

If you go back in time 25 years, things didn't move as quickly. Model lines grew slowly and new factions were a rarity.

Simultaneously to the rapid release of new models, they appear to constantly be struggling to meet demand for what already exists. Entire swathes of ranges are sold out at any given time. 

I predict that they will become more ruthless over time. I expect to see the sword come down on older kits across all games and armies. I think Imperium factions are the biggest culprits in 40k - I wouldn't be surprised if all of the classic Astartes are removed by the time the next codex update drops. I just hope that any gaps in the range are addressed by that time - I'll take an updated Landraider or Spartan for the Primaria range.

Age of Sigmar has evolved so much from when it 1st launched. The lore around factions has been substantially changed as well. Stormcast have evolved in appearance, style and scale from how the range used to look - I'm not surprised to hear they are cutting the older models away.

Ultimately, GW really need to tidy their model lines up, and neaten up the faction identities.

Bear in mind a bunch of it is being replaced rather than squatted, mostly the Skaven and Sigmarines obviously. 

This shouldnt be unexpected though, its exactly what they did with 40k regards trimming down the number of datasheets and separating the SGS and GW ranges wherever possible, The Warcry warbands and stormcast in particular were very bloaty but id certainly have hoped the former could see play as a "Cultist warband" sheet that covers them rather than a dozen individual ones? 

Ech, its not good but its the reality of business sadly, and something thats been happening for decades, its a PR hit but im happier that GW is being honest about it rather than letting people invest in (un)dead lines in the run up to a new edition.

Edited by Noserenda

GW needs a long term plan for their games and stick to it. But that's just wishful thinking.

12 minutes ago, Lay said:

GW needs a long term plan for their games and stick to it. But that's just wishful thinking.

They have it, it's called: "See which ranges sell well and axe the ones that don't." 

To be fair with the mercurial customer base it is a legit strategy. That can't commit to 20 years of model production if the designs don't click with the audience.