wolf codex expectations: what are yours?

Not to start negative, but I do think we will see many kit retirements.

Wolf codex expectations:

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if these kits get the wolf model retirement.

Kit retirements
Space wolf dread
Krom
Lukas
Njal
Blood claw/grey hunter box
Harald
Arjac
Canis
Cyber wolf
Fenrisian wolves
Rune priest
Iron priest
Wolf guard terminators

Kits I wouldn't be shock if get updated

Bjorn/space wolf dread (larger, redemptor ish)

Fenrisian wolves

Super upgrade kit (on par with og claw pack sprue)

Wolf guard terminators

Arjac or njal (I don't think we'll see both)

I think we'll get 2-3 more detachments

Damn, those Fenrisian Wolves.. Never had any.. Maybe time to pick some up?

I´m out of touch with 40k and current fluff.. But that Primaris Space Wolves upgrade sprue seems a little - weak? I could need, want way more bitz. So, more Primaris Space Wolf bitz!

And bring back Ranulf! :D

Ranulf, now there's a name I haven't heard for many a winter... If I recall correctly we'll need lots of plasticard to bulk this fellow out. Done by Kim... something back in late eighties early nineties?

Also I wouldn't mind the old GH/BC box to go away if it gets replaced by something to fluff our Primaris a bit more.

19 hours ago, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

Damn, those Fenrisian Wolves.. Never had any.. Maybe time to pick some up?

I´m out of touch with 40k and current fluff.. But that Primaris Space Wolves upgrade sprue seems a little - weak? I could need, want way more bitz. So, more Primaris Space Wolf bitz!

And bring back Ranulf! :D

Tge new DA upgrade sprue was pretty comprehensive and I suspect ours will be similar 

Recent trends have shown finecast either being discontinued or replaced with plastics. However dark angels still have a fine cast character and a metal character. So there is precedence that may save some of our characters. I’m not worried about our plastic character kits.

My prediction is a mixed bag.
Primaris kits- Logan, Njal, Ulric(?), dual purpose infantry kit Claws/Hunters, terminators.

No change- Krom, SW dread, Harald, TWC, Iron Priest, Fen Wolves, Wulfen.

Discontinued- Arjac, Lukas, Canis, Cyber wolf. Harald probably is here too but I want to believe he won’t be. Sky claws/swift claws gone- maybe converted with a unit upgrade kit?

New kit- Leman Russ.

Edit: Long Fangs still around. Online only. Devastator kit plus upgrade sprue

Edited by Wolf Guard Dan

On 4/9/2024 at 11:22 AM, Brother Harnil said:

Ranulf, now there's a name I haven't heard for many a winter... If I recall correctly we'll need lots of plasticard to bulk this fellow out. Done by Kim... something back in late eighties early nineties?

Also I wouldn't mind the old GH/BC box to go away if it gets replaced by something to fluff our Primaris a bit more.

Yupp, Kim Syberg! His army looked amazing. I could of course not get even close to that so instead did not paint.:! :biggrin: But i kept converting so some sort of inspiration there.. :blush:

More of a joke of course, Ranulf is sadly not coming back. But he is not forgotten! :cool:

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 15-04-21 185.pdf.png

On 4/9/2024 at 9:39 AM, Wolf Guard Dan said:

*SNIP*

My prediction is a mixed bag.
Primaris kits- Logan, Njal, Ulric(?), dual purpose infantry kit Claws/Hunters, terminators.

No change- Krom, SW dread, Harald, TWC, Iron Priest, Fen Wolves, Wulfen.

Discontinued- Arjac, Lukas, Canis, Cyber wolf. Harald probably is here too but I want to believe he won’t be. Sky claws/swift claws gone- maybe converted with a unit upgrade kit?

New kit- Leman Russ.

Edit: Long Fangs still around. Online only. Devastator kit plus upgrade sprue

This isn't a bad guess except Ulrich is quite new and they will likely not cross the Rubicon with him cuz he's old. 

I have been fearful of a new Wolves codex. I was completely and utterly disappointed in the Dark Angels codex. I'm moving away from them for now, and when I look at what happened (more bad than good) and apply it to Space Wolves here's what I'm hoping:

The baseline Detachment: Dead on arrival. GW for whatever reason has only fixed one unusable detachment (DEldar).  I expect that like the Unforgiven, the Wolves will have no hope for repairing the clunky saga based detachment.

Models: Guessing for 2 Characters, and 2-3 kits. One will be new (IE: no replacement). 

GW is going huge on maxing profits from tiny kits. I expect some sort of Wolf Guard. Rules might be as bad as inner circle, hard to say.

Replacement kits: Top guess is Wulfen and Termies.  Or Wulfen and TWC with.... a very expensive upgrade sprue for Termies coming in a small box with two small sprues and one sheet of decals.

Characters: this is a tough one.... so many good Wolves characters. I can't even guess at this. Even a case for Grimnar on foot could be made.

My biggest concern is the rules. So far the only successful DA players are using Ironstorm (main codex) ignoring all the DA codex stuff, and then using the shroud Speeder and of course Azrael. The rest of the codex can literally be thrown in the garbage. 

If you would have asked me 3 months ago I'd say there's no way they'd do this to Wolves. This codex has the opportunity to be very cool, and unique. I miss the 'specialization' this codex used to have, and the feel of being the Wolves is in danger here. Crossing my fingers....

Actually the Ravenwing Detachment is also pretty good for DAs so I have some hope that we get a good Detachment or two, even if Champions of Russ remains a dud.

I guess the real question is whether the Codex is already printed. I would not be suprised if it is alreay done and parked in a warehouse somewhere waiting for its release slot. If this is the case, the chance of a wholesale Detachment revamp seems unlikely.

1 minute ago, Karhedron said:

Actually the Ravenwing Detachment is also pretty good for DAs so I have some hope that we get a good Detachment or two, even if Champions of Russ remains a dud.

I guess the real question is whether the Codex is already printed. I would not be suprised if it is alreay done and parked in a warehouse somewhere waiting for its release slot. If this is the case, the chance of a wholesale Detachment revamp seems unlikely.

Well I played it, and while I agree the detachment shows promise on paper, I think in execution it falls flat. I've seen a few others try it to mediocre results. I wanted to try it myself and I think it's the 'best of the worst'. The bikes don't work unless you overcharge. If you overcharge you lose bikes (I lost 3 in one volley meaning I lost much more than my opponent in my shooting phase.)  The cost of the bikes is too high, which is something that may change one day. 

But like the Wolves, I'd worry that this is a medium to sell models they want gone and potentially end of life. (I know this is VERY cynical thinking on my part.) 

Personally I would not consider a Wolves codex that mirrors the function and capability of the Dark Angels codex to be something I'd play or want. I've seen enough threads from other marine players hoping they don't get "Dark Angel'd" to believe that GW will feel this and hopefully react positively. 

Wulfen are in primaris scale.

They confirmed years ago they upscaled the wulfen to be inline with primaris scale as they were done around the same time

On 4/13/2024 at 12:04 AM, Prot said:

I have been fearful of a new Wolves codex. I was completely and utterly disappointed in the Dark Angels codex. I'm moving away from them for now, and when I look at what happened (more bad than good) and apply it to Space Wolves here's what I'm hoping:

The baseline Detachment: Dead on arrival. GW for whatever reason has only fixed one unusable detachment (DEldar).  I expect that like the Unforgiven, the Wolves will have no hope for repairing the clunky saga based detachment.

Models: Guessing for 2 Characters, and 2-3 kits. One will be new (IE: no replacement). 

GW is going huge on maxing profits from tiny kits. I expect some sort of Wolf Guard. Rules might be as bad as inner circle, hard to say.

Replacement kits: Top guess is Wulfen and Termies.  Or Wulfen and TWC with.... a very expensive upgrade sprue for Termies coming in a small box with two small sprues and one sheet of decals.

Characters: this is a tough one.... so many good Wolves characters. I can't even guess at this. Even a case for Grimnar on foot could be made.

My biggest concern is the rules. So far the only successful DA players are using Ironstorm (main codex) ignoring all the DA codex stuff, and then using the shroud Speeder and of course Azrael. The rest of the codex can literally be thrown in the garbage. 

If you would have asked me 3 months ago I'd say there's no way they'd do this to Wolves. This codex has the opportunity to be very cool, and unique. I miss the 'specialization' this codex used to have, and the feel of being the Wolves is in danger here. Crossing my fingers....

So far 10th rules is quite inconsistent on "character leaded elite units" rules design.

Orks bully boyz detachment has quite positive response, while codex marine 1st company is a very weakest detachment in the whole game. A key fact is how wide the units the detachment could cover. "Nobz, Meganobz and unit leaded by Warboss model", the "leaded by warboss" part covers almost everything which hit hard and not a vehicle in an orks army. 

No matter whether GW redo Champion of Russ, there will highly possibly be a SW detachment related to characters theme. Success or fail could be decided by one keyword. BA Sanguard theme is also quite possible. I feel BT would also receive such a detachment. 

On 4/13/2024 at 11:32 PM, Tokugawa said:

No matter whether GW redo Champion of Russ, there will highly possibly be a SW detachment related to characters theme. Success or fail could be decided by one keyword. BA Sanguard theme is also quite possible. I feel BT would also receive such a detachment. 

Custodes just got a very Character-heavy detachment so we know its a possibility. I'd say a Thunderwolf-based detachment is possible, even though Stormwing fits that really well.

Tactical Squad and Devastator Squad stayed in C:SM, so I'd expect Grey Hunters and Long Fangs to stay in for now. Assault Squads have been replaced fully by Assault Intercessor versions; Bloodclaws in name only?

Given that Bloodclaws can take two special weapons and 15 bodies while Assault Intercessors can't, I can see them keeping Bloodclaws in our codex or a primaris one like BT.

BTs have done a pretty good job of Primarisising a non-compliant chapter so it is possible. Crusaders get a similar loadout to Blood Claws so I will keep my fingers crossed. 

8 hours ago, Karhedron said:

BTs have done a pretty good job of Primarisising a non-compliant chapter so it is possible. Crusaders get a similar loadout to Blood Claws so I will keep my fingers crossed. 

GW finished BT primaris-ization work with only two kits: crusader and brethren. If GW give SW 3 kits on non character soldiers, is that enough to do the same work for SW?

10 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

GW finished BT primaris-ization work with only two kits: crusader and brethren. If GW give SW 3 kits on non character soldiers, is that enough to do the same work for SW?

Honestly I think with an appropriately executed up grade sprue they could do it there, and then add in a primaris sized thunder cav, so 2 kits. Now will they? Don't know, but I think they could easily do it that way. 

On 4/15/2024 at 4:33 PM, Tokugawa said:

The 5th edition relaunch of Space Wolves was just two kits (the Space Wolves pack kit and the Wolf guard Terminators) and character models that included Njal, Lukas, and Canis. Everyone was happy.

DA only got two infantry kits, too.

There was a second wave that finally provided models for Thunderwolves, Fenrisian Wolves, and Arjac. But they just existed as rules to start. That took a couple years, it felt like.

There won't be new Thundercav. GW took all the old ones out of the case for new photography recently alongside all the Primaris minis. Notable models left behind: Canis, Harald, Arjac, Njal.

Edited by Wispy

I was slipping out of the hobby just then or just before.. But that Space Wolves Pack was just the same old, basic plastics with a new accessory sprue with Space Wolf bitz, right?

I assume the Wolf Guard Terminators were similar, the same basic plastics as other Marines with a Space Wolf Sprue?

So those Thunderwolves etc got rules but no models for quite some time? Seems very un-like GW at that time..

Trying to catch up to the Space Wolf history in the hobby.. (I sold mine to a friend and kept some knowledge what was going on as I kept talking to him about it..)

Interesting.. New photos, for Codex, articles or some get-you-by list?

I expect the codex itself to be decent, but talked down initially via means of a game of telephone that doesn't view things holistically.

I expect some characterful models. 

I expect impatience, but I understand it. 

Edited by SvenIronhand

On 4/18/2024 at 6:48 AM, SvenIronhand said:

talked down initially via means of a game of telephone that doesn't view things holistically. 

This is such a great line that embodies 40k fandom in a nutshell.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:42 AM, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

But that Space Wolves Pack was just the same old, basic plastics with a new accessory sprue with Space Wolf bitz, right?

I assume the Wolf Guard Terminators were similar, the same basic plastics as other Marines with a Space Wolf Sprue?

No. The Space Wolves  pack and Wolfguard Terminator are entirely Space Wolves centric kits and re-used no codex models. The Pack was 2 unique sprues that let you build 5 Space Wolves in power armour with plenty of left over bits to mix and match with other kits. You could use it build Grey Hunters with bolters, blood claws with pistol/chainsword, or use all the special melee weapons (lightning claws, thunder hammer, etc) to build some Wolf Guard in power armour.

The Wolf Guard Terminators is the same idea - 3 Wolfy sprues that let you build 5 Wolfy Terminators with different loadouts. You could kit 5 with with fist/stormbolter or th/ss or dual claws, your choice.