looking to sell some stuff, how have you done it?

I have realized that I'm going to sell off my backlog of stuff I bought in my Í don't really like Warhammer but I'm going To buy it anyway' phase. currently looking at eBay but that's not my first choice. 

tldr

I'm not sure where to sell my backlog

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
No advertising trades in posts (signatures is fine)

45 minutes ago, Axineton said:

There’s specific Facebook groups that deal with selling Warhammer stuff that you can try. Or good old fashioned eBay. 

I want to sell this stuff quickly, how fast do these platforms deliver results?

1 hour ago, terminator ultra said:

I want to sell this stuff quickly, how fast do these platforms deliver results?

In my experience stuff sells faster on eBay if you put a reasonable ‘buy it now’ price on it rather than waiting for bids. If your main goal is to get rid of the stuff rather than make money you should be able to clear it all out pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

It helps to be reasonable with the price.  If someone can buy it for the same price at their flgs why bother with EBay?  Some of the stuff listed on there is just silly.

Agreed.

Recently put up some small groups of models on a local "eBay". Used it a handful of times to buy a few things. Used eBay way back..

But what annoys me alot is most people bid the last minutes.. I guess it is good to have exposure time but, nothing happened with mine until the very last.

And i even put pretty low prices and more than reasonable Buy It Now, As I just wanted to flog the stuff, it bugs me having too much..

nah, nothing.. Felt like putting out free food for the vulchers but they were suspicious and wondered if it was a booby trapped carrion.. ;)

In short, loads of annoying behaviour.. I guess you need to be a pro..

If you have  big group, area - some local dudes picking it up in bulk might be good and less labout to ship stuff? So those Facebook groups? Local Discords etc.

EBay is the best way.  I've sold off lots of my Pile of Shame and various ancillary models there.  As other Frater have pointed out, they key is setting a respectable price as a 'Buy It Now' and allowing offers slightly below said price.  I've not engaged in auctions as I value the buyer's time - if you want it, it's available at this price.  If you set a very low price you'll see it snapped up quickly, but if you want a price more in line with the release price, be prepared to wait. 

For example, let's say you want to sell a complete Kasrkin Kill Team box, GW's list price is £37.50, so I'd put it up for £32, but allow offers from £28.  Individual models vary, but £3-4 is reasonable for troops, with a bit more for sergeants and the like.  However, if I wanted to sell the Kasrkin quickly, I'd put the box up for £20-25.  Ultimately, it's in the hands of the Ebay Machine Spirit, as I've seen some items identical to mine sell at a much greater price than my listing.

I've sold a few things on Facebook - there is more haggling over price and you have to actually deal with timewasters vs ebay where it either sells or doesnt.

Facebook also has a habit of relisting things for you, your choice if you think this is good or bad - getting random messages out of the blue asking about things you had forgotten you had listed etc.

You may get stung if the buyer chooses to pay you as a business (more protection for them though so I can see why particularly for more expensive items).

Facebook is particularly great for local selling though - cuts out the delivery fees for them and often the packaging costs for you.

Ebay - the fees are more prominent so factor that in but it is generally a lot smoother. I've generally sold larger value things on ebay as I feel less likely to get ripped off.

I cant remember whether it was ebay or facebook now, I've only ever had one actual issue with a sale (lego rather than warhammer) where the courrier had crushed the box of something BNIB . Impressive considering the amount of packaging I used. Despite including item protection they refused compensation as it was 'cosmetic damage'. Buyer returned this, at our cost - i think we did argue to get the postage costs back at least, so we have the item back but it has lost value to collectors. It is only a couple of dents to the box and it is sealed still but probably knocks £5-10 off the price I'd get plus rules out a number of buyers

Ebay - Probably the easiest, in terms of not having to deal with a buyer directly beyond shipping the stuff to them. Depending on the item and what value you put on it, selling it off can become an issue (if you think it's worth more than the market it'll just sit there), but overall I think eBay is the best option. Their policies are really focused on buyer protection, but as long as you have good tracking information even sellers are pretty much covered from scammers. 

Facebook Marketplace/FB buy-sell-trade groups/Craigslist/similar - These are ok, but more likely to have issues with buyers, either them trying to haggle too much or straight-up issues like no-shows for the transaction if you do a local pick-up rather than shipping. That being said, if you have a local FB buy/sell group then posting there might be a good way to get to know more people in the area and help you establish your own reputation for good dealings. 

I've been selling a ton of stuff on eBay (all buy it now, no auctions) and its been great. I typically list something for about 75-80% of GW's price and most moves quick. If it doesn't sell quick I just lower the price a little and then it usually does. I recently met a few people who apparently hate the hobby side so much they pay people to even build and prime their models (which is baffling to me!) which may be why some people will pay about as much as you can get from a FLGS.

I'll sometimes pay more than RRP for already built models.

It might seem odd, but if I'm in two minds about starting a new army and want to see if I enjoy painting them first, I'll look around for 20 termagants, or guardsmen, or orks or whatever.

It saves me having to find X amount more money to meet free carriage from retailers and saves time having to build them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 1:05 PM, Valkyrion said:

I'll sometimes pay more than RRP for already built models.

It might seem odd, but if I'm in two minds about starting a new army and want to see if I enjoy painting them first, I'll look around for 20 termagants, or guardsmen, or orks or whatever.

It saves me having to find X amount more money to meet free carriage from retailers and saves time having to build them. 

So your’re the reason I see those prices on eBay! Well good for you if that’s what you like. Now how to explain the price of badly painted models…

on the specific topic, I usually buy from eBay and sometimes sell. My target for buying is about 2/3 of GW price if it’s new on sprue but no box, including postage. When I sell, I tend to put together interesting combos that can’t be bought direct - but still price can fluctuate - can’t seem to shift my vintage White Dwarves any more, but models still go quick . Remember you need a couple sales under your belt to establish your 100% feedback record, so don’t start too big.