Mystery Marines in Adrian Smith's classic Horus/Emperor art

I'm sure everyone remembers the absolute classic painting by Adrian Smith of the Emperor facing down Horus on the bridge of the Vengeful Spirit, above the shattered body of Sangunius. However, there's one background detail that I'd never really paid much heed to, but on closer inspection has me intrigued. These curiously unidentified Marines.

image.png.742d6f6eb26ae56f92fc93eeb1cdf970.png

Has there ever been any confirmation on who these guys are? The most logical explanation would be an older depiction of the Custodes, but IIRC the "golden armour and pointy helmet" look has been around for a long, long time, pre-dating this artwork(?)- I could be wrong on that though. I'm also wondering if they represent the "Emperor's Legion" which IIRC was retconned but was briefly mentioned in a few pieces of fluff, prior to the Heresy being more extensively fleshed out. They appear to be wearing Mk, 4 power armour judging by the legs, though the pauldrons, backpacks and helmets are different.

They are custodes. You have big gold focusing the attention on the right, with small black in the background; you have big black focusing the attention on the left, with small gold in the foreground (Sanguinius).  Having the custodes in gold would just turn the entire right side into a golden blob at first glance. 

13 hours ago, terminator ultra said:

dosen't stack up to me. looks like proto-marines in semi-terminator armor.

You do you but gw/fw has outright said they are Custodes

@Noserenda and @Valkyrion are correct – I'm near-certain there was an interview with Adrian Smith (and possibly Neil Roberts?) where this was clarified; and for the reasons Valkyrion notes, they were rendered to contrast with the Emperor's gold armour. 

Possibly on WarCom, but my mem-banks fail me.

Sadly, [END AND THE DETH SPOILERS]

Spoiler

Dan Abnett decided to ignore that iconic illustration for the final duel in The End and the Death vol.3.  In his version of the tale there are no Custodes with guns, SoH marines, or even Sanguinius dramatically laying dead on the floor. Not even the IF terminator that supposedly gave origin to the crux terminator icon.

Edited by Xenith
Spoliers, damnit. Let people ruin it for themselves.

99% sure they're custodes also, this was a period where things were still being kind of fleshed out and the heresy aesthetic hadn't been formed yet, they might have been going for omething more grounded that giant golden coneheads. 

Thanks all! That clears that up.

I have to say I like them a lot more than the current Custodes look (I don't dislike those, just these are so cool). On the plus side they appear to be wearing modified Mk. 4 armour, so making additional parts to convert Mk. 4 Marines (be they the current plastics, whatever newer ones lie on the horizon or newer-scaled STLs) should be fairly simple. From what I can tell you'd mostly need new shoulders, helmets, backpacks and bolters.