Mech Infantry List

Thinking about giving this list a go for the weekend. Trying to reduce my pile of shame so I am going to build my Rogal this week to have it fieldable by the weekend. I know catachans appear to be the preferred infantry for mech guard because of scout but I dont want to mix up squads and do not currently have enough painted alternative guard models to pull it off anyway, plus the colors would look weird. I was going to field my Iron Wing DA but decided my guard looks better and thats another box off my pile. (I really need to work on chaos, got like three boxes of terminators, some raptors, possessed.....) and then theres legion and bolt action, and heresy,,,

How does this look? My expected opponent is fielding either orks or blood angels, I didnt really cater to either and I am hoping it wont be as CP intensive as my all infantry army is.

Tank Commander- Executioner-plasma sponsons, lascannon, heavy stubber, Grand strategist

2 Regimental Enginseers

6 x cadian squads vox, plasma, melta, sgt with pistol and chainsword

6x chimera 2x heavy bolters, heavy stubber

2 basilisks hunter killer, heavy bolter

Leman russ demolisher with lascannon, 2 multi-meltas, heavy stubber, hunter killer

Leman Russ Exterminator with lascannon, plasma cannons, heavy stubber, hunter killer

Rogal Dorn

---3 heavy stubbers

---2 multi-metlas

---pulverizer cannon

---Oppressor cannon and co-ax AC

My only suggestion would be finding a way to slip Leontus in there just due to the amount of order spam he enables, as well as being able to order your tanks, or another Tank Commander instead of the exterminator.  Can order the basilisks, and the two leman russ, can also order the Chimera to MMM, getting them 13" which might matter early on since you're eschewing the Catachan's benefit of deploying forward.

Only other suggestion might be to drop one squad of guys and their transport to sneak some Scout Sentinels in; they've got great synergy with the basilisks and can utilize the Reinforcement strategem to just constantly come back from the grave, which I don't think you'll be doing as much with on your infantry, if at all.  The +1 to hit from the order, plus the removal of the Indirect Penalty, PLUS Heavy (All effects can layer as they are each targeting a different aspect of the firing solution) means you're hitting on 2's and rerolling 1's (Unless I've messed something up along the way, but even at 3's and rerolling 1's, not a bad place to be), and probably obliterating almost any infantry you're running into, and putting at least a few wounds on tougher units.

I'd consider upgrading the demo russ to a TC. it gives you an extra order to run around with one of the other battle tanks. Other thought would be infantry squads with lascannons to take advantage of firing deck on the chimera. 

Not really a list critique but I've still found indirect to be underwhelming unless you really lean into it and stack buffs. Leontus, scout sentinels, fields of fire(which probably means Creed as well), hellhound or exterminator for even more AP. And then its just str 9 or 10 so really struggles into a lot of opposing armor. 

46 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Weird you have a TC and engineseers but no one who can order any of your infantry around.

Noticed this too when i saw his list.

Honestly I'd drop 1 squad of cadians and their transport to add in 2 cadian castellans and a commissar for some orders. Or drop the commissar for drill commander. This gives you some order options for the infantry.  

To be honest, the infantry are there simply to jump out and sticky objectives and maybe get lucky and get back into their transports which is why I picked Cadians over regular infantry where I would have taken the lascannon. Thats why I am not too concerned on infantry orders, especially on piddly little 10 man squads(I normally run 6 20 man blobs + command squads).

The scout sentinels is an interesting option. I am mostly bringing the Bassies for either removal of enemy home objective holders or slowing down enemy units. Two things they are very good at. Most people drop weak cheap units on their home objectives and Bassies excel at these targets. That and slowing an assault squad with Dante is totally worth it almost every time. -

I try to avoid named characters when possible. I think they are a crutch and I am old school from the days when you needed permission from your opponent to bring them. That and the Lord Solar isnt going to show up to a dinky company sized skirmish and he sure as heck wouldnt have gotten where he has by micro-managing junior NCOs on the front line. 

After running some numbers, grudgingly I can drop one squad and its chimera and replace them with two lascannon armed sentinels and upgrade the demolisher to a tank commander, if anything just for the fight on death thing. 

Can Tank commanders order themselves this edition?

No self orders, the TC doesn't have the Squadron keyword. Lord Solar could command them since he can command any AM unit.

I get the reticence, but Lord Solar is just so good for ordering vehicles.  I wish there was a generic "General" unit that could be a slightly weaker version, like only getting 2 orders instead of 3 but can order anyone. 

5 hours ago, Galron said:

After running some numbers, grudgingly I can drop one squad and its chimera and replace them with two lascannon armed sentinels and upgrade the demolisher to a tank commander, if anything just for the fight on death thing. 

Ok, this is an improvement cause the sentinels will allow your basilisks to ignore the indirect penalty and if you give them Take Aim they will hit on 2s (4+ base, +1 BS from order, +1 to hit from heavy) and re-roll 1s. Outside of that the list looks good for what you want to do. Last thing would be which TC to give the enhancement to. Either the demo to work the front line or the executioner for back/mid field support.

happy hunting.