My Lychguard Modeling blunder

Prot

So I'm not sure what to do with this.

IMG_6623.jpg

What you see before you is my attempt at getting these guys done for testing Obeisance Phalanx tonight.

I was in a rush and this is idiotic but the necks of the Lychguard are very much wedged in backwards. That is to say the heads would sit very odd (I tried) without modification. I doubt anyone else has done this but I've found it irreparable. 

I'm pretty peeved with myself but I've decided to cut the necks with a blade to re 'angle' them to be suitable for the heads. I can't think of another fix since I can't remove the necks.

Wish me luck, I'll post another picture of my debacle. And if anyone else has actually done this, let me know!

Brother, unfortunately your image is flat-out broken. However, I can easily imagine what you mean, and though I haven't done it myself, others on the internet (a 15 second google search reveals a reddit thread on this exact topic) have, and seem to do the same thing-- just cut the neck to fit and add a little extra plastic glue to melt the plastic together properly.

If I recall, there's a trapezoid shaped piece at the bottom that would have been inset to hold it in place between the two torso halves. Shaving that piece off at the edges may allow you to push it down into place.

Is it possible to pry the body back apart? Your points of ingress for a flat edge could be in the arm holes or bottom, those will be covered by later assembly.

Oh I just re-read and think I understand better. Seems like cutting the neck down slowly and test fitting the heads as you go is your best bet if you can't pry everything apart.

I am currently almost finished with building all the Necrons from the 9th command & recruit boxes. Let me tell you something which comes from someone who is in the hobby since the early 90s:

Building those bloody, modern Necrons is a thankless task compared to everything else which had been on my table (SM, CSM, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Night Goblins, Khemri, Dark Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Undead, Warriors of Chaos, etc.). All the connecting rods are way too thick and your best friend is the modelling knife to cut them into shape. Yesterday I built the scorpion guys and those actively resisted being put together. Just take a look at the construction manual for the scorpion stuff and it will blow your mind why the sculptor has decided to put them together in such a weird fashion. It´s a convoluted, unhelpful design philosophy from someone who didn´t take the straight path but thought around three corners. 

When I am finished building these guys there won´t be any further investments in the entire Necron range. You steal my time and thus my wallet remains closed. 

Posted (edited)

Well I've actually been doing this since the late 90's myself... and I've painted dozens of armies. And yes, I have to agree the Necrons (and probably Admech) are the most frustrating I've ever put together. This is my 3rd Necron army of over 5K points. (I don't count the old White Dwarf metal ones, though they sure were cool at the time!)

So I had a game last night with the Obeisance Phalanx and had to get these guys in some state of play. I shaved the necks down to fix the angle. I think they look okay.

After priming they are so bright I decided to do a heavy oil wash of brown / black and remembered to take a picture:

image.jpeg.3f4432da5c47d4de6b6b17f743ab05b3.jpeg

Edited by Prot

7 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

I am currently almost finished with building all the Necrons from the 9th command & recruit boxes. Let me tell you something which comes from someone who is in the hobby since the early 90s:

Building those bloody, modern Necrons is a thankless task compared to everything else which had been on my table (SM, CSM, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Night Goblins, Khemri, Dark Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Undead, Warriors of Chaos, etc.). All the connecting rods are way too thick and your best friend is the modelling knife to cut them into shape. Yesterday I built the scorpion guys and those actively resisted being put together. Just take a look at the construction manual for the scorpion stuff and it will blow your mind why the sculptor has decided to put them together in such a weird fashion. It´s a convoluted, unhelpful design philosophy from someone who didn´t take the straight path but thought around three corners. 

When I am finished building these guys there won´t be any further investments in the entire Necron range. You steal my time and thus my wallet remains closed. 

I forget where on the net this was, but someone said that the modern necron range was designed by someone who knew they'd never have to build it themself. I presume by 'scorpions', you're talking about the Skorpekh Destroyers? Because yeah, agreed, they're a pain to put together. Szarekh is worse, though, IMO.

I'd say those heads are looking just fine, you did a fine job rectifying your assembly issue.

As someone who's also built just about every type of model GW's made over the years, I've always hated the Necron ball joint approach. Immortals and Warriors were more tedious for me to build than the old flat-hand bolter marines or the half-metal models that were terribly balanced and required extensive pinning. I got lucky on my Finecast Nightbringer, purchased 2nd hand, and my Finecast Cryptek. I couldn't bring myself to buy the running Overlord though, I felt as though my luck with the medium had ran out.

The finecast Overlord was probably the worst finecast model I ever got. Bubbles in the cape, badly warped staff that broke repeatedly, and the whole body was warped forward a bit so he looked off balance.

Edit: that was a lie. I bought finecast Szeras and truly had no idea how it was supposed to go together. I was either missing a piece or it was miscast or there was just a weird hole in his thorax or something (on top of all the warping) so I never even built it, just chopped some bits off to put on others. THAT was the worst finecast model I ever got.

Edited by Tyriks

28 minutes ago, USNCenturion said:

the pegs of all the ETB models not fitting into their holes thereby ensuring the two halves you’re trying to assemble can’t sit flushly together

What I've found works best is to just shave down the pegs for all GW models a little. 

Necrons are the second fiddliest army I've had to deal with- Harlequins were worse, but only because a 60lb dog smashed 1500 points of them and they all snapped off of their spindly ankles (took a while to fix that mess). Necrons at least seem to be fairly solid once they're put together, even if the process of putting them together sucks.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

On 4/18/2024 at 4:26 PM, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch said:

the modern necron range was designed by someone who knew they'd never have to build it themself.

Veeery common engineering problem, unfortunately! :happy:

On 4/21/2024 at 5:17 AM, Lord_Ikka said:

What I've found works best is to just shave down the pegs for all GW models a little. 

Yea, I clip the end off them a bit. They're designed for a micron level slush fit, so adding any paint at all will make them near impossible to fit without bending components, I've found.