Shotguns to make Catachans standout?

Was just thinking about what weapons or wargear the Catachan squad could get that would make them stand out, and make them a bit more useful while still being kind of fluffy.

i was thinking shotguns.

18” A2 S4 AP0 D1 <assault>

basically just allow everyone to replace their lasguns with shotguns, plus the two flamers.

would anyone else like to see this?

I'd love some Assault weapons on a scouting battleline scout, it would make Catachans even better mission units. And would look cool.

That said, not sure Catachans stories have enough widespread shotgun use in them to encourage GW to make a new kit that trades them out for the standard Guard Lasgun.

Probably more likely they get some kind of carbine design but with the same rules as regular Las.

At least currently, the catachan ability improves melee, but they are otherwise the squad least able to be kitted  out for it. The sarge doesn’t even get a chainsword.

In support of that, I think they should have access to upgraded melee weapons (2 attacks base vs 1 for notmal troops as an example), assault type specials , and options to replace the lasgun with a carbine(assault, 18 inch range) or las pistol. Perhaps instead of specials, a trooper could take a melee upgrade like a power weapon or fist instead.

The sarge of course, needs to be able to choose from a full suite of upgrades. His no melee weapon, only laspistol profile right now is just sad:(

If they did this we would then have the final piece of the guard puzzle, for those dreaming of throwing innumerable hordes of useless chaff at demon princes. They will die under the weight of our sacred emperor’s imperial guard, buried under our numberless corpses.