Ossiarch Bonereapers as Ruinstorm Daemons?

Just spitballing an idea about using ossiarchs for a daemon army, instead of the traditional daemons.

I think the ossiarch models are cool, have a almost sci-fi vibe, and all their smiling faces are pretty creepy - like, I dunno, the silent, smiling dead coming to carry your soul to the warp kinda thing. 

They also cover most of the daemon army list - mortek guard for lesser daemons, stalkers for brutes, spirit hosts for swarms, harvesters for behemoths, nighthaunt harridans for harriers, nagash for a greater daemon etc.

But I feel I'd need to do *something* to them to stop them simply being Ossiarch Bonereapers - but what?

Anyone got any examples of traditional fantasy models used in a similar 30k or 40k setting?

35 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Just spitballing an idea about using ossiarchs for a daemon army, instead of the traditional daemons.

I think the ossiarch models are cool, have a almost sci-fi vibe, and all their smiling faces are pretty creepy - like, I dunno, the silent, smiling dead coming to carry your soul to the warp kinda thing. 

They also cover most of the daemon army list - mortek guard for lesser daemons, stalkers for brutes, spirit hosts for swarms, harvesters for behemoths, nighthaunt harridans for harriers, nagash for a greater daemon etc.

But I feel I'd need to do *something* to them to stop them simply being Ossiarch Bonereapers - but what?

Anyone got any examples of traditional fantasy models used in a similar 30k or 40k setting?

Color scheme makes a big difference, and maybe adding some "scifi" bits to the model or base, like a busted helmet or mechanical ruins.

For example - here is a Kharadron Overlord model from AoS that I painted up for 40k recently:

Spoiler

large.20240128_101845.jpg.85e46413148039

All I did was use the same paint scheme as my other Votann, the same alien planet basing, and also added some Votann decals to his book.

Finally (this is not visible on the front of the model) I filled in a few of the steam dials and screws with gap filler and clipped off some of the mechanical-looking knobs that were more steampunk than scifi. Actual "conversion" on the model is nonexistent aside from that.

He is right at home on a 40k battlefield and does not look out of place at all.

13 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Not sure skeletons are the best choice to represent daemons?

Which chaos god? 

Hashut of course, is the only correct answer:laugh::tongue:

The planets of the horus heresy are littered with skeletons ripe for reanimation, but you might be right.

Space Skaven was another possibility, but I don't like the models as much and that is a sure fire way for me to lose interest. 

29 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Not sure skeletons are the best choice to represent daemons?

Bonereapers are basic skeletons in the same way that Kharadron are basic fantasy dwarves... In other words, they aren't. :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

The planets of the horus heresy are littered with skeletons ripe for reanimation, but you might be right.

After a quick glance at the models, you could definitely make them scifi just by playing up the glowing bits, maybe painting more of the elements metallic, and sticking some tubing or cabling ruins on their bases.

32 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Which chaos god? 

maybe but them on fire for khorn, loads of technical for nurgle, etc

1 hour ago, Valkyrion said:

maybe just give them guns?

So someone on this forum had the idea a while ago of using Nighthaunt as ruinstorm daemons. At the time I didn’t like the idea, but now I think it’s a fantastic idea and want to try it myself. I think 40k-ing up the bases should do for chainrasps because they are pretty generic, but perhaps some of the Ossiarch Bonereaper models are a bit more specific, and might benefit from a little conversion / head or weapon swaps maybe? 

But the great thing with the new 8-fold ruinstorm list is you don’t have to lean into one of the big 4 powers - chaos has other weird stuff going on too!

Edited by LameBeard
Typo

Yeah ive got a heap of nighthaunt for ruinstorm but i think bonereapers work too, you dont need to adapt much because daemons, but if you arent linking them to another army i think i really sci fi basing scheme helps, like blue sand, purple plants or something :D 

10 hours ago, Noserenda said:

sci fi basing scheme helps, like blue sand, purple plants or something :D 

I think Sector Imperialis, Necromunda, Boarding Action, and Zone Mortalis bases are a better idea, at least as a starting point. Partly because blue sand and purple plants are things you see in Age of Sigmar's weird fantasy setting.

4 hours ago, Gamiel said:

I think Sector Imperialis, Necromunda, Boarding Action, and Zone Mortalis bases are a better idea, at least as a starting point. Partly because blue sand and purple plants are things you see in Age of Sigmar's weird fantasy setting.

You are just as likely to see metal decks and the like in that setting too :D More so in fact given one of the realms is all metal all the time :D 

5 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I tried this and didn’t find it to be effective, you essentially just end up with very small human sized bone guys. 

Kudos for trying. Care to share any pictures?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 10:07 AM, Valkyrion said:

*SNIP*

I think it's a good idea. I'd avoid any of the helmeted heads because I think a good amount of the appeal is the unsettling grin (kind of like one some of the Nurgle daemons). One thing I'd definitely ditch is the shields. I don't think daemons of any sort are going to be very defensive in thought and daemons forming a shield wall seems laughable. Replacing it with a second weapon (perhaps converted from the spear tip?) to make duel-wielding daemons seems like an option. Another possibility is adding notches to weapons and armor. Daemon equipment trends towards beaten up (Nurgle) or with curves (everyone else)

On 4/18/2024 at 10:45 AM, Emperor Ming said:

Which chaos god? 

More like "which Aetheric Dominion?" A fungal tone (and the growths off the Ossiarch heads provoked that idea) works well for Encroaching Ruin. Enough blood splatter, or perhaps red OSL, would make for a nice Ravenous Dissolution.

• 1 month later...

I have just yesterday ordered an Esoterist for my Iron Hands. This way I can play them as Traitors in the future and be able to use daemons. What will those daemons look like? Well, they can´t stick out like a sore thumb so they will receive a liquid metal look. Though the models themselves will probably come from another company.

1 hour ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

I have just yesterday ordered an Esoterist for my Iron Hands. This way I can play them as Traitors in the future and be able to use daemons. What will those daemons look like? Well, they can´t stick out like a sore thumb so they will receive a liquid metal look. Though the models themselves will probably come from another company.

Another thing is adding small clockwork pieces to them - even cutting models to insert clockwork pieces into the slits- melding flesh and metal in a way that is cool and baroque and antique?