How’s the vanquisher doing?

Like Frater USNCenturion said, the Vanquisher's main draw is just that it's cheap. You can often squeeze one in when you really want a Leman Russ profile but just can't find the extra 25-50 points for a better profile.

The other double edged sword is that the main gun is [Heavy] which incentivizes it to remain stationary. With Imperial Guard, who really want to stay back and stay still anyway, and the fact it gives it a 3+ to hit, this isn't a huge deal, but it's still an opportunity cost to force you to stay still while other Leman Russ can be mobile without their shooting being affected.

So is it good? Not if you can afford something else, but if you can't it does the job of letting your army achieve critical vehicle armour mass with points to spare.

Personally haven't had any real issues with mine. I've used them since 8th and see them as a decent AT platform since I tend to set up for a hit roll of 2 or 3 and it's wounding on 3s with re-roll. Add in a lascannon and HK and I tend to take out or at least heavily damage the target. 

Generally I'm getting it into position turn 1 then it guards an objective for the rest of the game. The HB sponsons help with infantry. 

If your looking for pure damage output the Demolisher is the way to go. Take the vanquisher if you want a cheap(ish) AT tank for the back/mid field.

Also I just like the look of mine as I have the old Stygies VIII turret so it looks like an oversized lascannon.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AutumnEffect said:

Like Frater USNCenturion said, the Vanquisher's main draw is just that it's cheap. You can often squeeze one in when you really want a Leman Russ profile but just can't find the extra 25-50 points for a better profile.

The other double edged sword is that the main gun is [Heavy] which incentivizes it to remain stationary. With Imperial Guard, who really want to stay back and stay still anyway, and the fact it gives it a 3+ to hit, this isn't a huge deal, but it's still an opportunity cost to force you to stay still while other Leman Russ can be mobile without their shooting being affected.

So is it good? Not if you can afford something else, but if you can't it does the job of letting your army achieve critical vehicle armour mass with points to spare.

Well the heavy keyword means with take aim you’re hitting on 2s  standing still, with lethal hits, which isn’t bad.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

10 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Well the heavy keyword means with take aim you’re hitting on 2s  standing still, with lethal hits, which isn’t bad.

You're correct, it isn't. I was just meaning to point out it's a shame it encourages you to stay still with it while the other Leman Russ can move without their shooting being affected.

Although my general preference is for Demolishers and Executioners, as others have pointed out the vanquisher fills an cost effective AT niche particularly with free sponsons in this addition. If you do not glue the barrel in place then it can be swapped to make it a regular battle cannon.

I'm going Las+HB's on my TC, probably the same for everything else.  I want to be able to apply some shots against everything and fishing for one more plasma wound is probably less useful than being able to shred some mooks.

4 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Looking forward to getting my next Russ now.

what sponsons is everyone running on them? I’m thinking either PCs or HBs so the hull lascannon.

I use Heavy Bolter sponsons.  At the start of 10th I was using Multimeltas but the short range means not shooting for the first round most of the time.  And since the Russ will probably only live for 2 turns or so that's huge.  If you can Remain Stationary then having Lethal Sustained Hits is very nice.  And they give you nice anti-infantry shooting if there is not vehicle/monster target.  

I'd imagine that Plasma is also nice but i don't like putting wounds on my T11 2+ (it should be very hard to wound.  My T3 5+ guardsmen can die to hazardous).  

They look cool and that is the number 1 rule! I have just built one for my guard as I’ve always liked the long gun.

Seriously though I would echo the point about it being heavy so most of the time I’d be trying to stay still and treat it like a gun emplacement with the option to move if I really have to.

I have two executioners in my list and a demolisher with plasma cannons, but I really wish I could field them as something else because my luck with hazardous rolls is just shocking … I will never take any more plasma cannon sponsons. Multi meltas or heavy bolters all the way. I actually think the standard Russ is also in a good spot right now.