Post April Rebalance: Competitive Wolves with Wolves units

Prot

So I'm looking at moving back to Wolves. The thing is (and I realize I'm limiting myself here) is I like to use the 'thematic units' and try to be competitive. 

After this update only Wolfguard Termies and Wolf Scouts got a reduction. Does this change anything? Changes to the meta? What does a competitive list look like with the fluffy units?

Honestly Thunderwolf Cavalry didn't get nerved so stay a strong option. And last manual gave a bump to wulfen to make them worth it. 

As far as the actual changes go, the other thread mentioned the Terminator bomb and I think that might be worth it but it was probably worth it at +20 points too.

13 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Honestly Thunderwolf Cavalry didn't get nerved so stay a strong option. And last manual gave a bump to wulfen to make them worth it. 

As far as the actual changes go, the other thread mentioned the Terminator bomb and I think that might be worth it but it was probably worth it at +20 points too.

Thanks very much. 

Terminator bomb is very much my kind of thing. I'm trying not to jump into this as my Dark Angel return was quite negative. The terminators were so incredibly disappointing. I love termies, and found they just really stunk for DA, the points drop gave them a touch more use, but still questionable in my findings. (One game since the changes though.)

Wolves termies have always been among the best in game. I'm assuming this still holds true. 

10 minutes ago, Apokalypsi said:

Alex Spathopoulos just won a GT with a pretty thematic SW list.

Scores and list

Thanks a lot for this. (For people without an account):

Wolf Time (1995 Points)

Space Marines
Space Wolves
Gladius Task Force
Strike Force (2000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Apothecary Biologis (85 Points)
• 1x Absolvor bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• Enhancements: Fire Discipline

Bjorn the Fell-Handed (180 Points)
• 1x Heavy flamer
1x Trueclaw
1x Twin lascannon

Harald Deathwolf (85 Points)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
1x Crushing teeth and claws
1x Glacius

Librarian in Phobos Armour (70 Points)
• Warlord
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Force weapon
1x Smite

Logan Grimnar (100 Points)
• 1x Storm bolter
1x The Axe Morkai

Ragnar Blackmane (90 Points)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
1x Frostfang

BATTLELINE

Assault Intercessor Squad (75 Points)
• 1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power fist
• 4x Assault Intercessor
• 4x Astartes chainsword
4x Heavy bolt pistol

OTHER DATASHEETS

Eradicator Squad (190 Points)
• 1x Eradicator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Melta rifle
• 5x Eradicator
• 5x Bolt pistol
5x Close combat weapon
3x Melta rifle
2x Multi-melta

Fenrisian Wolves (30 Points)
• 5x Fenrisian Wolf
• 5x Teeth and claws

Fenrisian Wolves (30 Points)
• 5x Fenrisian Wolf
• 5x Teeth and claws

Infiltrator Squad (100 Points)
• 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Marksman bolt carbine
• 4x Infiltrator
• 4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Helix Gauntlet
1x Infiltrator Comms Array
4x Marksman bolt carbine

Land Raider Redeemer (260 Points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Flamestorm cannon
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Multi-melta
1x Storm bolter
1x Twin assault cannon

Scout Squad (65 Points)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Scout
• 2x Astartes shotgun
4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Missile launcher
1x Scout sniper rifle

Scout Squad (65 Points)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Scout
• 2x Astartes shotgun
4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Missile launcher
1x Scout sniper rifle

Wulfen (160 Points)
• 1x Wulfen Pack Leader
• 1x Storm Shield
1x Stormfrag auto-launcher
1x Wulfen hammer
• 9x Wulfen
• 9x Storm Shield
9x Stormfrag auto-launcher
9x Wulfen hammer

Wulfen (160 Points)
• 1x Wulfen Pack Leader
• 1x Storm Shield
1x Wulfen hammer
• 9x Wulfen
• 9x Storm Shield
9x Wulfen hammer

Wulfen (160 Points)
• 1x Wulfen Pack Leader
• 1x Storm Shield
1x Wulfen hammer
• 9x Wulfen
• 9x Storm Shield
9x Wulfen hammer

ALLIED UNITS

Callidus Assassin (90 Points)
• 1x Neural shredder
1x Phase sword and poison blades

So what I like about this is all the Wulfen. What role would Harald play? 

Also I forgot to look it up but I wonder if this guy played any World Eaters. I think that would be a very hard match up for this.

I guess the Gladius is the only way... for now. 

Thanks again. I am a bit gunshy since the DA codex dropped. I still try to play them but not how I want. They still remain far better at shooting imho. My hope is Wolves bring more balance to that.

6 minutes ago, Prot said:

Thanks very much. 

Terminator bomb is very much my kind of thing. I'm trying not to jump into this as my Dark Angel return was quite negative. The terminators were so incredibly disappointing. I love termies, and found they just really stunk for DA, the points drop gave them a touch more use, but still questionable in my findings. (One game since the changes though.)

Wolves termies have always been among the best in game. I'm assuming this still holds true. 

Thanks a lot for this. (For people without an account):

So what I like about this is all the Wulfen. What role would Harald play? 

Also I forgot to look it up but I wonder if this guy played any World Eaters. I think that would be a very hard match up for this.

I guess the Gladius is the only way... for now. 

Thanks again. I am a bit gunshy since the DA codex dropped. I still try to play them but not how I want. They still remain far better at shooting imho. My hope is Wolves bring more balance to that.

I'm guessing Harald was just a chunky action monkey.

No WE. He played against Chaos daemons, TS, Drukari, SM Ironstorm, and GK.

I'm actually down on Wulfen myself, though I don't do tournaments (just relatively casual Matched Play). But my considerations and priorities are different.

2 hours ago, Prot said:

My favourite build is 10 Terminators with 2 CML. Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Fire Discipline (he is the only Lt Character in TDA now the Strikemaster has teleported to Legends) and a Captain in TDA. You play Adaptive Strategy to keep the Squad in the Devastator Doctrine and the Captain can give them a free Storm of Fire from his Rites of Battle. That is a huge amount of dakka with Sustained Hits and Lethal Hits both kicking in on a 5+.

Unlike the Aggressor bomb, they don't need a Land Raider to deploy as they can Teleport and/or use Rapid Ingress with the Teleport Homer. Their 4++ makes them more durable than Aggressors. Storm of Fire gives them AP-1 even on the Storm Bolters which helps make the wounds from all those Lethal Hits stick.

Yea that does sound awesome. And really that was my favourite combo with Ultras which I feel like may do it better, because I’d have Calgar leading it. I always started it on the board and advanced constantly.  The extra AP and twin linked fists really allowed this combi to often carry my Ultras. But this does sound very cool. And definitely unique to Space Wolves which is what I really love. 

this begs the question; what are you doing for shooting options. My competitive meta has definitely shifted to vehicles /  monsters and a decidedly heavy bias to shooting. 

5 hours ago, Prot said:

This begs the question; what are you doing for shooting options. My competitive meta has definitely shifted to vehicles /  monsters and a decidedly heavy bias to shooting. 

Eradicators are probably the best infantry-based answer for killing tanks and Monsters although Devastators with Lascannons still have some play. I normally call my Long Fangs Devastators now as Long Fangs cost more for no obvious benefit. Long Fangs with MMs can work in a Razorback as they get rerolls to wound if shooting at the same target as the RB.

Las Fusil Eliminators and Desolators exist but are not high enough strength for proper anti-tank work IMHO.

Otherwise you have the options of vehicles. I have found the classic Land Raider works quite well as you have a very tough tank, solid transport capacity and 4 lascannon shots. Gladiator Lancers are popular and a solid choice. I quite like Vindicators as they have an awesome gun, a tough profile and don't care if they get tagged in melee. Predator annihilators can also do some work.

Post update changes are not based on points for me.  Mostly based on prior experiments and shifts in the meta.

I still believe SW are CP starved but am done experimenting with Inquisitor Coteaz

I'm also done experimenting with Wulfen.  They aren't an elite hammer anymore.  They are best used on the flanks in 5 man groups to harass chaff.  I absolutely hate the 0 OC though b/c it removes some of the useful things they could be doing.

What I saw in recent games was the BA resurgence using captains.  I think SW can do it better.

So I'm trying a new approach post meta where I focus on captains + assault intercessors in impulsors with orbital comms (5+ get CP) using Gladius detachment

I think the ability to double up on strats and pop a bunch for free is a better way to approach CP economy

I always chuckle when I do a free strat and generate one for my CP pool b/c the impulsor is nearby

SW add 2 unique items here

1-Ragnar is basically a captain who trades rites of war for advance and charge.  Ragnar is the 1st one to exit the impulsors and charge in b/c he can always advance without burning assault doctrine.  I reload the impulsor with another captain once ragnar runs out.  This is usually on turn 2 and I oath his target.  Ragnar basically clears an objective and forces the opponent to respond while I stage the rest of my army to counter whatever comes my way.

2-Logan gives army wide reroll charges/hits.  Combine that with assault intercessors reroll wound mechanics and you have a REAL reliable turn to declare all in.  Use assault doctrine and have all your squads disembark and charge.

The army is laser focused on fighting over and controlling objectives (especially mid field).  If your opponent puts anything on an objective a captain + assault intercessors can wipe them out in melee. 

A captain with finest hour is 8 attacks S8 AP2 D2 with dev wounds.  Free usage of honour the chapter for +1 to wound and you are punching anything up to T15 with 4s to wound at worst.  The assault intercessors activate reroll all wounds on an objective and provide 3 more PFs and 16 AP1 chainswords.  If you are in assault doctrine add AP to all of that.

1 captain should take the honour vehement and basically turn into Ragnar2.0 with 10 S10 PFs with assault doctrine and finest hour activated.

In a test game this captain and his squad 1 shot a morkanaut on an objective (grenades on the charge in as well).

The auto include for all my new list ideas 

2 squads of assault intercessors + 1 intercessor (I love the sticky b/c I can push up harder)

2 captains + ragnar

2 impulsors with orbital comms

Now I am going to test them in combination with other ideas like using the terminator bomb....the LRR + aggressor bomb...LRR + hellblaster bomb etc.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, TiguriusX said:

The army is laser focused on fighting over and controlling objectives (especially mid field).  If your opponent puts anything on an objective a captain + assault intercessors can wipe them out in melee. 

A captain with finest hour is 8 attacks S8 AP2 D2 with dev wounds.  Free usage of honour the chapter for +1 to wound and you are punching anything up to T15 with 4s to wound at worst.  The assault intercessors activate reroll all wounds on an objective and provide 3 more PFs and 16 AP1 chainswords.  If you are in assault doctrine add AP to all of that.

It's amazing how 10th was supposed to be the death of melee army and now we see it making a very big come back! 

By the way I like the list idea. 640 pts is not that much for the backbone of your list, it leaves a lot of room to add more combos and utility around it.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, TiguriusX said:

Post update changes are not based on points for me.  Mostly based on prior experiments and shifts in the meta.

I still believe SW are CP starved but am done experimenting with Inquisitor Coteaz

I'm also done experimenting with Wulfen.  They aren't an elite hammer anymore.  They are best used on the flanks in 5 man groups to harass chaff.  I absolutely hate the 0 OC though b/c it removes some of the useful things they could be doing.

What I saw in recent games was the BA resurgence using captains.  I think SW can do it better.

So I'm trying a new approach post meta where I focus on captains + assault intercessors in impulsors with orbital comms (5+ get CP) using Gladius detachment

I think the ability to double up on strats and pop a bunch for free is a better way to approach CP economy

I always chuckle when I do a free strat and generate one for my CP pool b/c the impulsor is nearby

SW add 2 unique items here

1-Ragnar is basically a captain who trades rites of war for advance and charge.  Ragnar is the 1st one to exit the impulsors and charge in b/c he can always advance without burning assault doctrine.  I reload the impulsor with another captain once ragnar runs out.  This is usually on turn 2 and I oath his target.  Ragnar basically clears an objective and forces the opponent to respond while I stage the rest of my army to counter whatever comes my way.

2-Logan gives army wide reroll charges/hits.  Combine that with assault intercessors reroll wound mechanics and you have a REAL reliable turn to declare all in.  Use assault doctrine and have all your squads disembark and charge.

1 captain should take the honour vehement and basically turn into Ragnar2.0 with 10 S10 PFs with assault doctrine and finest hour activated.

In a test game this captain and his squad 1 shot a morkanaut on an objective (grenades on the charge in as well).

The auto include for all my new list ideas 

2 squads of assault intercessors + 1 intercessor (I love the sticky b/c I can push up harder)

2 captains + ragnar

2 impulsors with orbital comms

Now I am going to test them in combination with other ideas like using the terminator bomb....the LRR + aggressor bomb...LRR + hellblaster bomb etc.

Picking your brain here. Why AIs over BCs? Is it because of the orbital comms on the Impulsor or do you think AIs are just better than BCs?

43 minutes ago, Apokalypsi said:

Picking your brain here. Why AIs over BCs? Is it because of the orbital comms on the Impulsor or do you think AIs are just better than BCs?

They are (1) cheaper and (2) have better synergy with captains

(1) Cheaper

5 AI are only 75 pts

BC are 140

(2) Better synergy

Reroll wounds of 1 or reroll all if enemy is on an objective 

They should always be clearing enemy off an objective for reroll all wounds

3 AI Sgt PF and 16 chainswords getting Honour the chapter  and full wound reroll means you are capable of taking down hard targets or clearing chaff reliably.  

BC grant +1 attack and S but no rerolls

Anything with -1 to wound (Junith from Sisters is common) or high T can make you bounce.

Let's say a vehicle Iike a LRR is in on objective on the other side of the wall

You think the AI or the BC have better shot and hurting it?

I would send Ragnar or the captain with Honour vehement at a LRR with AI and full rerolls with no stress.

Ragnar or Captain get 10+ attacks that wound LRR on 4s with honour the chapter +1 to wound and AI Sgt provides 3 more

The reroll wound synergy is huge here from AI.

I would run away if it was the BCs.

The attacks from Ragnar/Captain/AI Sgt still wound on 4 but no rerolls leaves too much to chance IMO

Edited by TiguriusX

@TiguriusX I’m curious how those lists will turn out. Is the second captain that important? It’s quite an investment just to sit with the Intercessors and farm CP.

That terminator squad looks nasty. I worry a cagey opponent can screen or block an effective rapid ingress. Terminators are pretty slow. Would you pair it with a couple units of Wulfen to clear a zone or some scouts?

2 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

@TiguriusX I’m curious how those lists will turn out. Is the second captain that important? It’s quite an investment just to sit with the Intercessors and farm CP.

That terminator squad looks nasty. I worry a cagey opponent can screen or block an effective rapid ingress. Terminators are pretty slow. Would you pair it with a couple units of Wulfen to clear a zone or some scouts?

Bring as many captains as you can!  They are the scoring and hitting power of the list.  I have a few lists with 3 captains in my theory craft set that I am tempted to try.  Every turn you disembark and launch a captain + friends to a mid objective and use honour the chapter.  Ragnar turn 1 or 2.  Other captain turns 2-5.  The more captains you have the more turns you can do it.  The spare captains hop in the empty impulsor and get ready for the disembark charge in a future turn.

The CP farming is just a side effect benefit.  It is not a primary purpose of the list.  It happens naturally when I use stratagems I would already be using.  It pays dividends when you find yourself with 2+ CP and get to fight on death etc. when you normally couldn't respond.   

The vanilla intercessors actually let me be more aggressive and don't sit around.

I deploy them so my home obj gets stickied turn 1 and the infiltrators keep the opponent far away.  I then move the intercessors up and overwhelm an objective on the flanks.  The intercessors hopefully are low priority and survive so they sticky it and keep moving forward to keep pressure on.

Meanwhile...the infiltrators are free to push up on turn 3 (or 4 depending on enemy reserves situation).  I now have an extra unit to push for mid objectives or sacrifice to do tactical actions as needed.  

Terminators being screened is fine.  You can rapid ingress and charge in for free movement towards the screen.  Instead of being an alpha strike shooting attack you now have an anvil sitting on an objective.  Alternatively you send your captain + assault intercessors and clear the screens to push the line back and hold the terminators 1 additional turn

The only fear I have is terminators being unable to kill a 2+ save with AOC enemy (chaos vindicator...LRR etc.).  Terminators get smoke + AOC as needed if facing heavy fire.

I don't use wulfen at all anymore.  The captains + assault intercessors and impulsors have replaced them in my lists for basically the same costs (2 bricks of 10 wulfen for 320 total was my old list staple).  Now I have OC2 on every assault intercessor which I find better.  Even if I don't completely wipe an enemy out I have enough OC to steal a point and deny primary.  

I've just started testing different combinations and entered the lists.  Haven't played them yet.  Terminators first match is thurs evening!

Event 1 is terminators...I debated plain impulsors or bringing the LRR.  I really wanted the overwatch and mid board presence of LRR so I used this version.

I am facing 110 cultist spam + Abaddon and vindicator + 2 predator destructors

I'll let you know how the terminator v screening goes...will definitely be a factor

Spoiler

Terminators are back (1995 points)

Space Marines
Space Wolves
Strike Force (2000 points)
Gladius Task Force

CHARACTERS

Captain (95 points)
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power fist
• Enhancement: The Honour Vehement

Captain in Terminator Armour (115 points)
• 1x Relic fist
1x Storm bolter
• Enhancement: Adept of the Codex

Librarian in Phobos Armour (70 points)
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Force weapon
1x Smite

Lieutenant in Phobos Armour (55 points)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
1x Master-crafted bolt carbine
1x Paired combat blades

Logan Grimnar (100 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Storm bolter
1x The Axe Morkai

Ragnar Blackmane (90 points)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
1x Frostfang

Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator Armour (105 points)
• 1x Power fist
1x Storm bolter
• Enhancement: Fire Discipline

BATTLELINE

Assault Intercessor Squad (75 points)
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power fist
• 4x Assault Intercessor
• 4x Astartes chainsword
4x Heavy bolt pistol

Assault Intercessor Squad (75 points)
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power fist
• 4x Assault Intercessor
• 4x Astartes chainsword
4x Heavy bolt pistol

Intercessor Squad (80 points)
• 1x Intercessor Sergeant
• 1x Astartes grenade launcher
1x Bolt pistol
1x Bolt rifle
1x Power fist
• 4x Intercessor
• 4x Bolt pistol
4x Bolt rifle
4x Close combat weapon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Impulsor (80 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x Ironhail heavy stubber
1x Orbital comms array (Aura)
2x Storm bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Hounds of Morkai (180 points)
• 1x Hound of Morkai Pack Leader
• 1x Morkai bolt pistol
1x Morkai combat knife
• 9x Hound of Morkai
• 9x Morkai bolt pistol
9x Morkai combat knife

Infiltrator Squad (100 points)
• 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Marksman bolt carbine
• 4x Infiltrator
• 4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Helix Gauntlet
1x Infiltrator Comms Array
4x Marksman bolt carbine

Land Raider Redeemer (260 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Flamestorm cannon
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Multi-melta
1x Storm bolter
1x Twin assault cannon

Scout Squad (65 points)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Scout
• 2x Astartes shotgun
4x Bolt pistol
4x Close combat weapon
1x Heavy bolter
1x Scout sniper rifle

Terminator Squad (350 points)
• 1x Terminator Sergeant
• 1x Power fist
1x Storm bolter
• 9x Terminator
• 2x Cyclone missile launcher
9x Power fist
9x Storm bolter

ALLIED UNITS

Callidus Assassin (100 points)
• 1x Neural shredder
1x Phase sword and poison blades

Event 2 is aggressors.  I originally had 3 captains and 3 impulsors but swapped 1 captain with adept of the codex enhancement and 1 impulsor out for the 2xeliminator combo.  I wanted extra ranged shots to pop a transport if needed.  The eliminators currently have a loophole in the rules that let them fire...shoot and scoot move into an impulsor...and then the impulsor fires using firing deck and the eliminator guns get to fire again.

That means I get 8 las fusil shots when I need to pop a transport before the captain and AI charge phase

Spoiler

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves
+ DETACHMENT: Gladius Task Force
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 2000pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char6: Logan Grimnar
+ ENHANCEMENT: Fire Discipline (on Char1: Apothecary Biologis)
& Fire Discipline (on Char1: Apothecary Biologis)
& The Honour Vehement (on Char2: Captain)
& The Honour Vehement (on Char2: Captain)
& Artificer Armour (on Char3: Captain)
& Artificer Armour (on Char3: Captain)
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 19
+ SECONDARY: - Bring It Down: 2x3 + 1x4 - Assassination: 7 Characters
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Char1: 1x Apothecary Biologis (85 pts): Absolver Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
Enhancement: Fire Discipline (+30 pts)
Char2: 1x Captain (95 pts): Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
Enhancement: The Honour Vehement (+15 pts)
Char3: 1x Captain (90 pts): Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
Enhancement: Artificer Armour (+10 pts)
Char4: 1x Librarian in Phobos Armour (70 pts): Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Smite
Char5: 1x Lieutenant in Phobos Armour (55 pts): Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Scoped Bolt Carbine, Paired Combat Blades
Char6: 1x Logan Grimnar (100 pts): Warlord, Storm Bolter, The Axe Morkai
Char7: 1x Ragnar Blackmane (90 pts): Bolt Pistol, Frostfang

5x Assault Intercessor Squad (75 pts)
• 1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant: Plasma Pistol, Power Fist
• 4x Assault Intercessors: 4 with Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol
5x Intercessor Squad (80 pts): Astartes Grenade Launcher
• 1x Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolt Rifle, Power Fist
• 4x Intercessors: 4 with Bolt Pistol, Bolt Rifle, Close Combat Weapon

6x Aggressor Squad (240 pts): Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
• 1x Aggressor Sergeant: Twin Power Fist
• 5x Aggressors: 5 with Twin Power Fist
3x Eliminator Squad (85 pts)
• 2x Eliminator: 2 with Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Las Fusil
• 1x Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Instigator Bolt Carbine
3x Eliminator Squad (85 pts)
• 2x Eliminator: 2 with Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Las Fusil
• 1x Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Instigator Bolt Carbine
10x Hounds of Morkai (180 pts): 10 with Morkai bolt pistol, Morkai combat knife
5x Infiltrator Squad (100 pts): Helix Gauntlet, Infiltrator Comms Array
• 1x Infiltrator Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Marksman Bolt Carbine
• 4x Infiltrators: 4 with Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Marksman Bolt Carbine
1x Land Raider Redeemer (260 pts): Armoured Tracks, 2x Flamestorm Cannon, Hunter Killer Missile, Multi-melta, Storm Bolter, Twin Assault Cannon
1x Impulsor (80 pts): Orbital Comms Array, Armoured Hull, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2 Storm Bolters
1x Impulsor (80 pts): Orbital Comms Array, Armoured Hull, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2 Storm Bolters

One list was made using BS the other was New recruit online tool if you are curious about formatting

https://www.newrecruit.eu/

If I haven't explained the hounds + lt trick yet here ya go

They come in from reserve.  Fire...and get to move d6" thanks to LT

They follow that up with a charge

If I get paired into GK or Ksons it becomes a massive hard counter (the unit just kills magnus and he can't escape with any type of reactive move.  Same for GKs.  Mists of deimos doesn't work in my shooting phase)

If I go against non psykers the unit is great harassing a flank and stealing an objective.  40 melee attacks and OC1 per model should let me overrun someone

My team list has 2 bricks of morkai hounds b/c skewing weaknesses are easier to hide in the pairing process

I came to appreciate the hound of morkai ambush abilities and decided to keep 1 brick in my solo lists

Edited by TiguriusX

image.png.04ddb8117904b8f0480b9dfe34ca1d50.png

Terminators killed vindicator and about 40 cultists over the game

Captain was the last survivor after Abaddon and his legionnaires wiped them (4+ FNP on both characters was massive to survive)

I was not zoned out from arrival by the bodies.

I was however denied tactical scoring because there were too many to chew through for things like area denial etc.  

Also made a few mistakes due to new list unfamiliarity and not seeing the move until after.

We thought I had the win because of turn 2 scoring but realized I had maxed out PRIMARY already and ended up losing instead

Will continue testing...even though I lost I have to say the terminator bomb is fun and silly.  

Not bad for a first game with a new concept and against a sea of bodies to boot. Only 40 Cultists and a Vindicator seems a little low for a 575 pts block though. Didn't see the game so this might be the best output they could hope to get at the time but still, it looks like a high price tag to kill goons and a tank.

I'm quite eager to hear from your games with list two. The addition of the Eliminator wagon is nice and with Hounds of Morkai and Infiltrators, your background as a Phobos Wolf Lord is showing. I really hope this works out. Is the Hellblasters iteration includes the wagon too?

1 hour ago, jpwyrm said:

Not bad for a first game with a new concept and against a sea of bodies to boot. Only 40 Cultists and a Vindicator seems a little low for a 575 pts block though. Didn't see the game so this might be the best output they could hope to get at the time but still, it looks like a high price tag to kill goons and a tank.

I'm quite eager to hear from your games with list two. The addition of the Eliminator wagon is nice and with Hounds of Morkai and Infiltrators, your background as a Phobos Wolf Lord is showing. I really hope this works out. Is the Hellblasters iteration includes the wagon too?

It wasnt normal cultists.

It was 20 cultists each having a 4++ and required significant killing (have to put 40+ wounds on them to kill them).  I charged turn 1 with captain and AI and only killed 16 or so after grenades and melee (failed to get area denial bc Scouts got overwatched and the charge was a hail mary desperation move).

Terminators removed 2 complete bricks with storm bolters volume of fire in 2 separate rounds (kraks were fired at vehicles). 

Turn 2 I arrived and smoked his vindicator (rerolled my kraks to fish for 5+ lethal and sustain ended up with 4 wounds and he failed 3/4 4++ saves)

Turn 3 i got lucky again but his predator made 3/4 6+ saves and got revenge on me when it opened fire.  Rolled way too many 1s v 3 dmg autocannon shots even with cover and AOC up. 

After that the brick was sent into melee and advanced/charged to pin opponent in his deployment zone and try to deny primary.  He spiked his 4++ and used HI on abby to bring more bodies in so I didn't steal his objectives unfortunately

Edited by TiguriusX

Oh I see! I guess Invulnerable Cultists must be a pain to deal with especially 100+ of them! Not reroll to wounds for the Terminators vs Aggressors is something that always make me hesitate. In that instance, would rerolls would have made a difference in your opinion or am I over valuing rerolls?

3 hours ago, jpwyrm said:

Oh I see! I guess Invulnerable Cultists must be a pain to deal with especially 100+ of them! Not reroll to wounds for the Terminators vs Aggressors is something that always make me hesitate. In that instance, would rerolls would have made a difference in your opinion or am I over valuing rerolls?

Aggressors only have wound RR in their basic gun (3 shots per model)

It doesn't matter as much as the lethal on 5s with reroll to hit

Terminators have such high volume of fire the lethal hits give better value than wound rerolls on the aggressor gun