Dark Angels Post April 2024 Rebalance

Prot

So here's what it comes down to:

Screenshot2024-04-26145200.jpg.fb1612d06c40c132a68674dfa27347ab.jpg

Now I just re-jigged my army in a last ditch effort to be more competitive. I ended up playing against Orks and I really tried to be competitive, but I REFUSE to not play the units I feel help to define the army. In other words Azrael + all the Stormravens and Redemptors you can afford in an IronStorm detachment is not Dark Angels (to me.)

I tried to trim the fat. Down to one squad of Deathwing Knights for instance. Playing Hunters, I managed a win finally with this army. However, I confess I believe my opponent stripped down his list too much because he feared  hammering me. (It was the same guy before who's been bringing that LVO top Ork List.)

After this points update came out I reloaded my list on the GW app and I had 40 points to spare. (I think that's largely from the reduction in Hellblasters which I stubbornly keep in every DA list so far.)

To me the Inner Circle dudes need a Dataslate touch, not a point adjustment to Bladeguard who are still a lot better imho. 

Also the Vengeance is a bit of a head scratcher.

Is the Lion going to see play at 300? Will you use him?

Does a reduction in Terminators make you want to play them more? Or use them at all? 

What do you think?

Glad to see ya snag a win, even with a caveat.    I'll say terminators don't draw much for me,  but the Knights at this price raise my eyebrows.  Maybe I want them to work, more than they actually will.   Or maybe They'll catch an opponent or two off guard  with durability on an objective.  

Inner Circle is such a cool unit, but needs Azrael around to help.  Others have pointed out he's better with other units.  At least it's a possibility now.

I want the Lion to work... but... 300 seems right, if more than one of the buffs were playable.

Hellblasters drop is a boon.  But points increase else where is a head scratcher.  (Why did they hit my Eliminators?)  

I'm going to get some games in and report back.  

10 hours ago, FarFromSam said:

Inner Circle is such a cool unit, but needs Azrael around to help.  Others have pointed out he's better with other units.  At least it's a possibility now.

Or a Libby for Mental Fortress if you want Azzy buffing someone else.

10 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Or a Libby for Mental Fortress if you want Azzy buffing someone else.

Absolutely. I think this is the only other option. Sort of sad, but at least they get to spare Az for other duties. 

Since you don't have to join squads until the game starts, you can have the Libby and Az ready to go with one of two squads to buff and make the decision at game time.

Az having both Sustained and the 4++ is just probably the best unit in the codex and why we're seeing him in "winning Dark Angels" armies that look nothing like DA except for him. 

In those points adjustments I'm still blown away by Belial. I can't imagine such an iconic character being rendered so useless. Today I had a Chaplain in Terminator Army in my had at the store and I bought him... realizing he was far more valuable to my Deathwing Knights than Belial and that's just sad.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:48 PM, jaxom said:

Personally, I think he needs something more in his rules rather than points drops. It feels wrong for Belial to be... cheap.

For sure. I'm not implying points drop. His sword, his ability, his presence are all woefully under represented in this iteration of him.

The issue in part is GW's insistence at not altering dataslates, and lowering points, which fixes a very finite issue, but certainly not something as poorly executed as Belial.