1000-2000pts Mission/Event Format

So it's a bit lengthy and still needs editing for spelling etc but it's an attempt to make the game function for events. 

The scenario uses end game scoring for objectives, as well as randomized deployment, which in normal non-event play is determined only after both sides have placed objectives, to keep things honest. For an event the amount of objectives each round and deployment will likely be locked in, assuming 3 round, each round there'd be one less objective play and each round would just cycle through a different deployment. Likely 5 objectives long tables edges, 4 objectives short table edges and last round 3 objectives corners/spearhead deployment.

There are 6 special rules for the scenario instead of making a faq no one will read. These special rules are likely to change in the future, some of them are to address disparities between those with large collections and players still waiting for certain units to re-release, like marine flyers.  So for example "Distant Airfields" exists currently to keep from lists skewing too much into flyer territory. In addition this also pushes drop pods aback a turn as well. This rule is likely to be dropped once everyone has access to flyers and pods. 

The second special rule is to cap infiltrators to 2 detachments per side, this is some much needed sanity, but as to not upset players who have taken many infiltrating units, the units with infiltrate that are not part of the 2 selected may isntead take outflank or forward deployment. 

The third quality of life change is called limited ammunition, and simply put what this changes is detachments can now only overwatch on first fire, this has no effect on point defense weapons however, what it does fix is silliness like planes over watching interceptors and cheap detachments with a lot of firepower like heavy sentinels not constantly having their cake and eating it too shooting down flyers with ease. 

Fourth rule is very simple, it's called "unbreakable" and basically its a fluff explanation that both sides are resolute and zealous and ready to fight to the end, as such break points just aren't tracked. In addition, as a big consideration for time in the context of events, armies deploy at once instead of alternating placing formations. Either side would still alternative placing infiltrators after both armies are deployed. Why this is faster for example, ones first game they may have their army neatly on display on their display board all by formation, but this will likely be something less likely to occur so neatly for the next few rounds. It's also necessary on account of changes like the limit on infiltrators, because players must decide when they deploy which infiltrating units will be swapping it out for outflank or forward deployment. 

Fifth rule added is the most extensive, but I feel the single most useful addition/change. Simply put, players total the amount of detachments they have and a third rounding up must be placed in reserve. This is a little tricky, as currently the only detachments in reserve are outflankers and deepstrikers. How this would work is, lets say a player has 15 detachments, they have to place 5 in reserve. Now, in the case of outflankers and deep strikers you have a choice, place them as part this reserve requirement and now have to roll to see if they come in starting in turn 2, or place them as normal, in addition to the 5 detachments in reserve, and you may simply choose when to bring them in as always. This may seem a bit confusing and unwieldly, but ultimately I'm allowing it because some players may not be comfortable trusting all their reserves to chance and it seems reasonable to me to allow players to place these additional units in reserve and have control over at least some of their reserves. Why I feel this addition is much needed is it help control for having too many activations/detachments on the board at any one time and encourages games that go to turn 4 or 5 as opposed to very stressful and long 2 turn games that just feel like a slog. 

The last rule is just a bit of a fun, it rarely will come up as in my experience most fleeing units are eventually gunned down by something that may have no other target or automated weaponry simply shooting the closest model. What this change does is, instead of a detachment/model automatically dying when it reaches the board edge, it gets one final chance to pass a morale test and regroup. 

The last thing this format is attempting is to limit spamming multiple formations of the same kind, so currently each formation is 0-1, again this may be revisited but the main culprits are inexpensive pioneer companies and sky hunter's on the marine side. There's also a hard cap at 5 formations to again limit possible msu/too many activations. 

There's a change to marines to limit "crayon" armies, marines are capped at 2 legions max and their 2nd legion choice eats up their 30% allies slot, this is done for aesthetic reasons but also to combat some of the more cynical choices, like taking a bare minimum emperor's children formation etc. I can understand marine players not loving that but we've addressed for example infiltration spam elsewhere so players won't feel the need to take a min sized wolf detachment. 

Anyway if you got this far I very much appreciate you reading all of this. All of these choices are done with quality of life/speed of play/enjoyment in mind. I can tell you that with the limited amount of playtesting we've been able to do, the game has been more enjoyable, going further in terms of turns and the pressure valve of reserves has also taken the heat down on players feeling defeated early on and tapping out. It feels really good to look over and know you've got cavalry on the way. I'd love some feedback and if anyone has a chance to try it I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions. 

eternal war crusade legions imperialis scenario v5pg1.jpg

eternal war crusade legions imperialis scenario v5pg2.jpg

eternal war crusade legions imperialis scenario v5pg3.jpg