Necron Unit of the Week Series: Canoptek Tomb Sentinel

NTaW

NECRON UNIT OF THE WEEK SERIES

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week series for 10th edition! Each week will see a different unit from the Codex, Imperial Armour, and Legends datasheets featured for discussion. The goal here is to discover and chronicle tactics for the featured unit so that new players and veterans alike can use this database to inform their strategies with the wider knowledge of the forum. The game of Warhammer 40,000 is ever changing though, and as the rules evolve throughout the edition everyone should feel free to return to older threads with the release of new FAQs/errata, changes in points values, information gathered from games played, and of course the Codex being released. These threads are also great places for newcomers to the Necrons to post their questions about tactics related to the featured units.

Please note that the purpose of this series is not to lament what the current meta deems “ineffective”, or that another unit “does it better”. Those units will get their own threads.

This week’s unit is:

Canoptek Tomb Sentinel

If you're using Deep Strike to deploy, where is usually best?

What is your preferred target for the Exile Cannon?

How do you best make use of the Gloom Prism Aura?

Do you take multiples in your army?

Series Index

I have strong opinions about the Tomb Sentinel. I have 2, love the model. As is the case with a lot of FW stuff now, it feels very expensive for what it does, and feels a little uncertain of what exactly that is.

Pic:

20240526_113138.thumb.jpg.4f02ec1d0c4452c68af4de43a5e190e9.jpg

The Exile Cannon is best against tough infantry or light vehicles. I would probably feel very differently about it if I was using it against my own Dark Eldar, but it struggles with actual vehicles. And I don't think Necrons need much help killing heavy infantry, that's what we do best already.

The best I can say about the Sentinel is, it's tough. I have had more success deep striking onto an objective and just hanging out there than with trying to actually kill things. It's easy to hide for its base size, due to being so low to the ground.

The Gloom Prism hasn't ever come up in my games so far. I play a lot of enemies without any psykers, or very few. The one guy that is most likely to bring some is also the guy that would likely forget to mention it was a psychic power he was using so we might have just missed it.

Overall, I love the Tomb Sentinel, I use it with my Necrons all the time. But it's never been very impactful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda in the same boat. The Tomb Sentinel is my favourite unit as well. 

I tend to play a lot of 1k point games and in those, where I've found use for it is in lists where parts of it are more specialized away from anti-heavy infantry and it can fill that gap while fighting on objectives. I have a canoptek list that runs Whip Wraiths for light infantry blending and Doomstalkers for heavy hitting and the Tomb Sentinel slots into that middle ground / middle range gap between those two extremes pretty well.