New Codex

Anyone else excited for the new Codex?  I only seen the preview of whats inside and a goonhammer article.  I am expecting it to be really OP then toned down in the normal way that I seen with other codexes.  The one really exciting thing I saw is Jump Pack Canoness is back!!!! WOWZERS.

I'm ready. Playing from the cards has grown old. Hopefully mine will show this weekend as well as the canoness, oh yes I'm excited for her. Wednesday night will be my last game using the cards, I'm excited.

I'm very excited. Pretty much all of the units I usually play have had either an improvement or an interesting change.

Two of the detachments interest me, the Bringers Of Flame and the Army Of Faith. I faced CSM last night and there were instances where I felt either of those detachments could have mixed up the game nicely.

I'm converting my Novitiate Superior into a Jump Canoness as I can't imagine using the Novitiate Squad. I'll give her the Power Weapon and Hand Flamer so she can benefit from the Zephyrim's ability when attached.

I believe they are releasing a Balance Dataslate when the codex launches too, so that could have some interesting changes to existing armies.

Its not all sunshine and roses:tongue:

the 3 wounds of the flying canoness isn't great, 

I would have liked to see vhal and the 3 paragons be less of a crutch, but instead its now more of a crutch:sad:

and I Still would not want to pay 100 for 10 basic sisters. 

The coming season seems to be putting particular emphasis on battleline been able to do actions and still shoot etc

3 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Its not all sunshine and roses:tongue:

the 3 wounds of the flying canoness isn't great, 

I would have liked to see vhal and the 3 paragons be less of a crutch, but instead its now more of a crutch:sad:

and I Still would not want to pay 100 for 10 basic sisters

The coming season seems to be putting particular emphasis on battleline been able to do actions and still shoot etc

Basic sisters have consistently been our best unit this edition? 

And with sticky objectives, the new missions buffing battleline, and the new detachments buffing them considerably, they should be even better.

Edited by MoshJason

With jump pack Cannoness being back.  I am not sure how many Zephraim and Seraphim I want to run.  I may have shamelessly bought 8 boxes worth of them during the pandemic lockdowns.  That I do need to assemble and paint.  The original plan was to have enough to cover 3 min squads with hand flamers, and inferno pistols.  Then along with the idea of whatever I wanted for superior load outs.  Then 2 full zepharim squads.  To cover my based on rule of 3. Then I quit buying stuff.  So now have like 20 unopened boxes to finally catch up on.

I stopped taking zep, I found with the toughness hikes, they never did much b4 they died. 

I replaced all mine with castigators and penitent engines. 

Worked out way better:yes:

Very excited for the new book and the majority of the changes seem positive.  The last remaining piece of the puzzle is what the actual unit costs are.  The upshot there is I would rather have good rules and bad points than bad rules and good points (which is how I would define our current index).  Points are easy to adjust in a few months but a bad rules have to wait an entire edition to be fixed.

I'm looking forward to trying it out; I think I'll have a use for all four detachments over time, and I'm looking very forward to trying the Penitent Legion. I really need to get my mortifiers and penitent engines painted and ready to play.

The Crusade content is acceptable; I think the change to saintly rewards makes all living saints identical by the time they max out. I get it- if the Saintly Rewards didn't count as battle honours, the Saint would be way overpowered. But I still wish there was a way to have some individuality. Maybe that comes by using a different model as the Saint... Like a Canoness who becomes a Living Saint will be distinct from a Palatine or a Missionary who does the same... but that's still only three variants.

I like the requisition that allows Novitiates to graduate and become full sisters.

I'm glad a unit can swear a Penitent Oath, but I wish a character could, especially now that there is a Penitent Keyword. It's an easy enough requisition to house rule, and you could create a corresponding redemption ability.

The Goons seem to think it's the best dex released so far, which has got to count for something.

I am hopeful but as my group has really shifted to HH and AOS (I’m not playing it due to time) I doubt I’ll get much time in. But it will be excuse to paint My Sisters post Call to Arms 

Points increases on units like celestians....

and with the new changes to indirect, that makes the exorcist a triple nerf:laugh: 

(points hike, loss of heavy, new indirect nerf)

Posted (edited)

I did see from the new field manual all the units got a price hike.  I was expecting things to go up in price.  I am really looking forward to trying them out.  Havent played any 40k since 8th edition and I didnt really care for that edition.  

Edited by Sume

Played my first game with it today and if I had managed to remember some of the changes I would likely have won (lost by 4 points). For example: I ran the Bringer of Flame detachment and I did give the jump canoness the Fire and Fury enhancement and made her the leader of 10 seraphim with 8 hand flamers (9 with canoness) and then promptly forgot I had given her the enhancement until turn 4. :wallbash:lol

Time and use will solve the issues I was having. The units has almost all improved. I do think that Simulacrums are much more beneficial now. Overall the Codex is quite good IMO.