Exemplary Battles - The Assault on Castrum Velx (ft. Sanginuary Guard)

14 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

Why not use the Dawnbreaker Cohort? The side jets on the jump pack are separate (something I did not know) so with some maybe fancier helmets or shoulderpads they'd be a great stand in with a gold paint job.

I have a group of 5 planned using that exact thing because I already built 5 using the old SG kit. Sadly, the initial 5 I already painted are equipped with power fist so I'll have to proxy them as Perdition Axes or something.

15 minutes ago, Arkangilos said:

So whatever happened to the SG using the same gear since the heresy? Where are the wrist mounted special bolters? The death masks? The angel wings?

https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Blood-Angels-Sanguinary-Guard-2020

On a more serious note; they will clearly not say it, but these exemplary units always seem like a go-ahead, incluiding using a kit they do not officially advertise for 30k. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just more office politics.

In Fear to Tread they're described as using the wrist bolters, pretty much like theit 40k kit. I guess it's a matter of taste to choose the text over Neil Roberts art or not.

2 hours ago, Arkangilos said:

So whatever happened to the SG using the same gear since the heresy? Where are the wrist mounted special bolters? The death masks? The angel wings?

I can believe that the death masks, at least, were modelled on Dante's mask, which was modelled on Sanguinius's dead face, and so not created till after the Siege of Terra.

4 hours ago, Iron Lord said:

I can believe that the death masks, at least, were modelled on Dante's mask, which was modelled on Sanguinius's dead face, and so not created till after the Siege of Terra.

I could have sworn the masks were some weird magic thing where they put it down in a crypt for a month and when it comes back up it has the face of the previous owner or something. Can't remember where I saw it but I didn't think they had anything to specifically do with the face of Sanguinius.

The Death Masks the Sanguinary Guard wear are not modeled after Sanguinius. As of 40k they're modeled on the previous wearer. In 30k its never stated. Only Dantes in 40k has Sanguinius' likeness. During the Imperium Secundus the Herald I think also has a Sanguinius mask, but I'm not sure.

But the SG are described as wearing similar way before the end of the Heresy. This is just GW mandating no cross game sales, for whatever reason. Plus it's likely the SG box is likely going to be discontinued come codex release. 

On 6/14/2024 at 7:55 AM, Spagunk said:

I have a group of 5 planned using that exact thing because I already built 5 using the old SG kit. Sadly, the initial 5 I already painted are equipped with power fist so I'll have to proxy them as Perdition Axes or something.

When I do my BAs I may make a squad of 5 SG using them, so would be interested to see how they turn out.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:29 PM, Arkangilos said:

What happened to Sanguinius's noble sacrifice to damage Horus's armour so that the emperor could beat Horus?  If they wrote that out of the heresy, a few bolters and pieces of armour are easy to write out!

It all feels a bit odd to me - if they are getting replaced with a Primaris kit in the (sooner than we think?) Blood Angels release - why not move the current kit over to Age of Darkness, maybe bundle it with a pack of resin alternate heads or something and make it a direct only item as 'Exemplary battles Sanguniary guard'?

49 minutes ago, Cleon said:

why not move the current kit over to Age of Darkness

Sadly not how GW functions, doing a system swap for a kit about to be retired in "preparation". If they were to move it they would do it after the new one releases either without any fanfare or maybe re-jigging the sprue.

They might also do a heresy specific kit down the line, to further differentiate, especially since the corrent kit isn't very in line with the heresy proportions, but imo exemplary units are more of a DIY permission if anything anyway.

On 6/13/2024 at 10:01 AM, No Foes Remain said:

Why not use the Dawnbreaker Cohort? The side jets on the jump pack are separate (something I did not know) so with some maybe fancier helmets or shoulderpads they'd be a great stand in with a gold paint job.

It really makes me think that Sanguinary Guard should've been the unit with models, or at least Ophanim, instead of Dawnbreaker Cohorts, which seem to have been entirely made up by FW.

It’s not an either or, as this demonstrates. They can keep adding units in, even without models to spice the game up. Having everything from the jump is the BEST way to do it, having everything eventually is still preferable to them not doing the exemplary battles at all - which is what will happen if people constantly give them crap online. 

I agree with @Nephaston – that this is a implicit nod that it's fine to use different models to represent the same in-game rules. For what it's worth, I prefer the Sanguinary Guard conversions here to the 40k-era ones, precisely because they're more similar to the rest of the army, and not so over-the-top in terms of detail. Keeps 'being a Marine' at the core of the model. Tastes vary, of course, but the thing to take away is that this is a friendly (and unusual) reminder from GW that it's okay to use the models and style you like in your army.

In any case I'm glad GW are showcasing conversions again. More variety and creativity in the hobby is something to be celebrated, and I hope that it reassures uncertain hobbyists that kitbashing and converting is a welcome part of the Age of Darkness.

Edited by apologist

Something I don't think have been mental as possible reason they used the parts they did is that it could be a question about what boxes and bits they had at hand when GW requested that they did some kitbashes to represent the Sanguine Guard.