Lady Haera Helmawr in Spyrer Suit

Super interested in Necromunda but the jump in point seems… unobtainable, without a veteran to show you the ropes. I’ve picked up mini and a box set from local stores, usually on a steep discount. 

I feel I’d need like 5 books or something to start so was hoping the next box set would be a reset. Is that likely? 

The imminent Necromunda Secundas box is unlikely to to have the full rules for the game but it will have the rules to play the gangs in the box. I suspect that the only thing missing will be Ash Wastes rules for vehicles.

Necromunda is in a much better position than it was and all that's needed is the Core Rulebook and your gang book of choice. Dice and counters can all be acquired third party or on ebay. £70 will get a gang book, 3rd party dice/counters and the core rulebook.....if that's too steep then the rulebook is easily downloadable these days but I prefer a physical copy.

It's true that there are a lot of supplement books for different campaigns, terrain, gangs, etc. but they really aren't needed unless you want to explore more options.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:35 AM, brother_b said:

Super interested in Necromunda but the jump in point seems… unobtainable, without a veteran to show you the ropes. I’ve picked up mini and a box set from local stores, usually on a steep discount. 

I feel I’d need like 5 books or something to start so was hoping the next box set would be a reset. Is that likely? 

To play necromunda all you need is the rulebook and whatever book your gang comes in, most of which are the House of (x) books.

There is a metric ton of supplemental things you can choose to add or not, but you can have a TON of fun with just the core rule book and your gang of choice.

For instance: If you just play the base campaign from the main rulebook, using a house gang of your choice, and you love it, then you and your playgroup can say “ok, next campaign lets add vehicles” or “lets use one of the variant campaign types”: and just those two things completely change everything and you get a totally new start and really all you’d need is one more source book that the whole friend circle can share, which has the universal vehicles in it.

And you can do that many times. “Hey, this campaign has you fighting over criminal rackets, lets try that.” Everyone pitches in, buys a single copy of Book of Judgement, and you get many weeks of campaign time out of that, and that’s if you only play it once and toss it.

On 7/6/2024 at 4:35 PM, brother_b said:

As others have mentioned, getting the Core Rulebook (I'd recommend it - it's a beautiful book and unlike the 'big game' books, not out of date by the time you've bought it) and a 'House of X' book will do you fine for 95% of what you want to do in Necromunda.  The current version of the Core Rulebook includes generic vehicle rules (introduced in Ash Wastes), so you don't need the expansions to do generic scenarios and create generic vehicles.  If you've got the 'Necromunda: Hive War' box, then you don't need to get the Core Rulebook at all, as the rules in the box cover everything (apart from vehicles).

The other 5% you can get from either supplements, downloading bits from the WarCom website, or by looking at various websites.  Not sure if I'm allowed to link it, but I'd suggest looking for a website called necrovox, which is to Necromunda what Waha is to 40K.  It has everything on it, but is incredibly useful for esoteric weapons and Wyrd Powers and such that you might use one or twice, so not worth spending money on the relevant book (unless you really want that book).  

In terms of running campaigns and such, then whilst a veteran as an Arbitrator is useful, it's not essential, and some of the fun can be found in two or three players learning what to do as they go.  If you do get the Hive War box, then you've also got 2 gangs straight away, so you don't need to spend any more until you've decided you really want to do more with Necromunda and want to expand your gang or get a new gang!

The Secundus box/expansion, by the looks of it, is just that - an expansion, like Ash Wastes was.  I'll speculate that it introduces the Dungeon Crawler game mode, the 'Tek Hunters' gang (looks like a Kill Team, not a regular gang), the Malstrain gang, the Malstrain-corrupted gang, the Spyrers (as Brutes/Hangers-on and/or their own gang), and unique scenarios for playing a campaign in Secundus.  I think base rules won't appear in the book (they'll expect you to have the Core book), neither will 'House of X' specifics.  There'll be a bunch of lore (continuing from the 'Ruins of Jardlan' book from the Aranthian Succession expansions) but in real terms it won't affect how you play the game/campaign.  It won't be a reset, because unlike the Big Games, SGS doesn't reset the rules every few years.  In essence, this is only the 3rd Edition of Necromunda, which is not bad considering I started Necromunda with 1st Edition back in 1995!

I would comment that yes, you can get started with very little, but do make sure the rest of your campaign is on the same level otherwise you are going to get face rolled by some utter mayhem sooner rather than later. Or at least that was the experience of one of our group going from our fairly toned down campaigns to a local store one! 

I mean thats just good advice in general but particularly relevant in Necromunda.