40K Assassins Gone from GW Website

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

My local place has a bunch of them in blister packs. Maybe I should finally jump. I don't really love any of them besides the Vindicator. Love a big ass rifle. 

Said rifle is a bit on the short side as well compared to operative umbral six's, which is about third longer.

5 hours ago, Mogger351 said:

There is precedence of them replacing core units with newer versions to move the old ones back to the other game. It'd be like getting new wardens/guardians and the current kits going over to HH only.

That wouldn’t be them disappearing though.  That would just be them getting new models.  He said disappearing.

Interested to see what this leads to, they are nice minis and still fit, theyve always been a little too expensive to justify personally (Though tbf i have a ridiculous number of metal assassins for reasons) i might hold out hope for an execution force rebox at a slight discount? Saves 3 SKU's and blister space :D 

Custodes won’t disappear from 40k until Henry Cavill has ascended to the Golden Throne himself - it would be a spectacular own goal!

and I hear 40k players aren’t that happy with their current ruleset? Maybe in 10 years the streams will merge again and it’ll look more like current 30k than 40k? A reverse takeover … stranger things have happened … 

I am disturbed by all the "Less is More" eliminate/consolidate factions nonsense in here.

Less is never more- it's a term that was coined by a dude with a strong preference minimalism, possibly born of said dude's inability to create or comprehend anything beyond minimalism themselves. Similar to the way that people will say it's better to not see the monster- a thing that is only ever true if the budget is so low that the monster sucks. In all cases where film makers put actual development into the monster, the movie is always better for the effort.

Don't like an army? No problem. Don't buy it, don't use it, and if you hate it that much, don't play against it. Problem solved without taking something important and valuable away from people who don't share your personal preferences.

Think that the issue is that the army in its current form doesn't work? Suggest ways to make it work. Because if the Chambers Militant of the Ordo Hereticus and the Ordo Malleus get dexes, then the Ordo Xenos should get one too. Fix. Do not eliminate. 

1 hour ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Similar to the way that people will say it's better to not see the monster- a thing that is only ever true if the budget is so low that the monster sucks. In all cases where film makers put actual development into the monster, the movie is always better for the effort.

I don't entirely agree here; Alien is absolutely terrifying and the titular big chap is one of the best and most iconic horror monsters ever despite the fact it has scant 3 minutes of total screen time, and is almost never clearly visible.

That said I agree, I'd rather they not cut any armies myself. If they had to I'd choose Custodes as frankly I'm of the opinion having them running about the galaxy rather than being a few-in-number elite of the elite entrusted to the most important duty of all (guarding Terra) was a mistake and a classic example of why the cries of ADVANCE THE STORYLINE should have been ignored, but that's just me.

Less often is more, if the 'more' didn't exist in the first place.

I am not for one minute advocating for the removal of Imperial Knights, but had they never existed, there would hardly be a movement to get them included.

The same could and maybe should have applied to Custodes, Harlequins (as a faction), Deathwatch, Inquisition - factions that canonically rarely see the battlefield in force. 

How good could a Kill Team series have been fully fleshing out all of the various Inquisition factions, introducing cool new models like Munda does.

So yes, less is more, because having more Custodes and more Deathwatch diminishes the impact of those factions. IMO, of course. 

There's also plenty of lore for most of those factions to make a bigger appearance on battlefields, even though some people might not like that lore.

There's lore on Knight houses taking to the field en mass, armies of custodes, large groups of Harlequins aiding craftworlds, deathwatch fortresses being deployed to counter a large threat, Inquisitors with henchmen banding together and requisitioning local forces for their actions. Heck the War of the Beast series even sees a deployment of an army of assassins. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

This agents dex just sounds like its going to be the graveyard book for the stuff that just aint pulling the cash in:ermm:

Esp if greyknights get folded in. 

More a collection of the homeless units who don't belong in full armies, which controversially I wouldn't say DW or GK do really.

It's not about cash, it's more about making a smorgasbord of options to spice up imperial armies.

In some ways it does feel like a collection of whatever, but I do hope to see it mixed properly. A lot of these units are often addons and so  taking an army of them should be interesting.

As always, wishing other peoples armies away is a dick move and you should feel bad :D 

Mergers dont always mean the end of anything though, i could see for example and Imperial agents detachment for Deathwatch that limits the agents you can take but lets you field all the space marine vehicles instead to back up your kill teams.

And every one of the factions people are talking about squatting here had people interested enough in them to build/ask for them before GW released, Arguably, the number of knight conversions fielded at Tempus fugitive WHW events might have been another tick in the choice to release them for example, and Harlequins/Stealers never entirely went away after their soft squatting in third edition.

Ultimately, as mentioned above, the more choice and variety we can have in the game the better.

I think there is a physical, practical limit to the range that GW can support, and so... there is a cost to "more". (Which is not the same as "less is more"; but, there is a sweet spot that the addition of larger and larger amounts of stuff pushes a company out of.)

I think if there was to be a reorganisation, rather than putting Deathwatch (and possibly Grey Knights) into Agents, I'd have brought back the Codex: Witch Hunters, Codex: Daemonhunters, Codex: Alien Hunters paradigm. (With the latter being Deathwatch + Navy + Ordo Xenos, Daemonhunters being Grey Knights + Ordo Malleus, and Witch Hunters being Arbiters + Ordo Hereticus. If you want to get saucy, maybe fold Talons into Witch Hunters. Or just the Sisters of Silence, and turn Custodes into a Codex: Supplement.)

(And with the acknowledgment that a Codex: Alien Hunters never actually got a chance to come out.)

Edited by LSM

5 minutes ago, LSM said:

I think there is a physical, practical limit to the range that GW can support, and so... there is a cost to "more". (Which is not the same as "less is more"; but, there is a sweet spot that the addition of larger and larger amounts of stuff pushes a company out of.)

True, but I do think there is a cause to raise eyebrows with that reasoning when they're continually resurrecting game systems, bringing out entirely new game systems, have multiple skirmish game systems for fantasy (Warcry/Underworlds), and are doing things to artifically inflate ranges (i.e. having multiple heavy weapon squads for Primaris when they could've just made a new Devastator kit and combined them)

There's absolutely a limit to what GW can produce and oversee, especially pre-new warehouse/factory, but potentially getting rid of armies (or severely condensing them) while continuing to pump out releases is bound to draw scrutiny, and rightfully so imo

The main limitation they're going to have is the rate they can publish codex books, while maintaining a three year cycle for editions.

That said, I don't particularly wish for Deathwatch or Grey Knights to be in the Agents codex. Grey Knights in particular would significantly increase in popularity, were their range to be redone. I'm sure I'm not the only one that isn't considering them while they have an obviously aging range.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, Mogger351 said:

More a collection of the homeless units who don't belong in full armies, which controversially I wouldn't say DW or GK do really.

It's not about cash, it's more about making a smorgasbord of options to spice up imperial armies.

It is absolutely about cash, if grey knights and death watch get chucked into this book,

Its because they are underperforming in whatever profit targets have been set for them:yes:

and probably underperforming by quite alot:yes:

Deathwatch have been on sort of life support for how long? 

and grey knights, they just need a mostly whole new range really, isn't castelan crowe the only new model in quite some time?