New Space Marine Adventures board game leaked

57 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

I'm assuming that the only way GW could get these games into those store chains was to sign exclusive contracts. So it's not that GW doesn't want their sales to be more widespread, it's that they had to make a choice between widespread or high exposure to non-fans. And they went for high exposure.

It's still weird that they don't have a UK/EU distributor for these. Generally, exclusivity deals like this are only in effect in the geographies where the retailer operates. You'd think they'd take the same offering to Marks and Spencer, or whatever the UK Target equivalent is. 

2 hours ago, spiros14 said:

Honestly it's the models that are the weakest link. They're the special gacha marines, but you have that unfortunate problem that Primaris are just a little too generic compared to their firstborn counterpart (who are pretty generic already) to make unique characters of. The fact that we have three marines with bolt rifles is testament to that (we really could have done with replacing the salamander with the boring bolter pose with a Raven Guard sniper). 

FWIW, these aren't new models.

What we have in this box are simply five of the seven models from the Strike Force Justian release. In fact, the sniper (Eliminator) is one of the two models that were removed (the other being the Captain).

25 minutes ago, Lord Nord in Gravis Armour said:

FWIW, these aren't new models.

What we have in this box are simply five of the seven models from the Strike Force Justian release. In fact, the sniper (Eliminator) is one of the two models that were removed (the other being the Captain).

Yes, that's why I said they were the special gacha models. Almost all of the space marine adventures series have used models from the space marine heroes line, which uses the gachapon or blind box style of collection. You buy a box with a randomly determined marine of varying rarity. We're both talking about the same thing.

The saving grace is like the first space marine adventure, there is a slim chance that we may get an expansion box with the captain and sniper inside. I say slim because Rise of the Orks and Doomsday Countdown didn't have expansions, and it's only the two models (the two expansion boxes had two each.

45 minutes ago, spiros14 said:

Yes, that's why I said they were the special gacha models. Almost all of the space marine adventures series have used models from the space marine heroes line, which uses the gachapon or blind box style of collection. You buy a box with a randomly determined marine of varying rarity. We're both talking about the same thing.

Ah, I didn't grok "gacha," Thought it was a reference to the "special boi" nature of the Primaris line in general.

15 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

Top tier garbage!

The ENTIRE playing area is the size of a SINGLE Space Hulk room! You might want to buy it for the special Space Marines but the game itself is an abortion.

It looks very similar to the Necron one that came with (IIRC) 3 double-sided boards. 

On 7/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, spiros14 said:

It doesn't have an incredible amount of replayability compared to some of the bigger GW boxed games like the Warhammer Quest line, but the simple rules and small box mean that if you're looking for a quick game with multiple warhammer friends, you can just bring that and be good for an hour. My friends have gotten a good couple of sessions while together for tournament trips - It's perfect for when you want to play something in the hotel the night before the tournament starts.

Honestly it's the models that are the weakest link. They're the special gacha marines, but you have that unfortunate problem that Primaris are just a little too generic compared to their firstborn counterpart (who are pretty generic already) to make unique characters of. The fact that we have three marines with bolt rifles is testament to that (we really could have done with replacing the salamander with the boring bolter pose with a Raven Guard sniper). 

The entry game for my generation was Hero Quest and Space Crusade. Those two were vastly better products than this thing.

On 7/19/2024 at 2:32 PM, Karhedron said:

Have you tried it yet? It might be really fun and engaging to play. This is not aimed at veteran gamers but if it entertains the kids for 30 minutes and brings them into the wider hobby then that's great!

We have new Terminators and Genestealers so I would not be surprised to see a new edition of Space Hulk at some point but this is its own thing.

I don´t need to try it. I look at the contents and compare it with Hero Quest and Space Crusade. The amount of content in this new game is laughable.

34 minutes ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

I don´t need to try it. I look at the contents and compare it with Hero Quest and Space Crusade. The amount of content in this new game is laughable.

Worth baring in mind though that Heroquest's re-release did come with an rrp of roughly 3 times at least (not counting the insane sales I sometimes see that they implement to shift it).

1 hour ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

Yes, unsurprisingly a small game has less content as a big game. This does not say anything about the quality of the game.

They are entirely different price points. Don't do the Jesse Helms stuff; it defeats critical thinking.

1 hour ago, Metzombie said:

Yes, unsurprisingly a small game has less content as a big game. This does not say anything about the quality of the game.

They treat children like idiots by releasing such a game because they think they can´t handle Hero Quest or Space Crusade at that age. And those old classics WERE the introductory games to WHFB and 40K. 

7 minutes ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

They treat children like idiots by releasing such a game because they think they can´t handle Hero Quest or Space Crusade at that age. And those old classics WERE the introductory games to WHFB and 40K. 

Its also worth noting that games like Blackstone Fortress, and Cursed City are the official GW successors to HQ and SC. Their price points don't make for good introductory games. These Barnes & Noble/Target/ whatever games? They are better suited for that purpose with curious folk being able to afford them more easily.

These are priced at a point where a kid could feasibly pick this p with Birthday money, it's a fantastic starter. Out of the ones I have the SMA: Rise of the Orks is my most played, and it doesn't feel like anyone is being treated like an idiot. 

These are great from a time perspective, you can be rolling dice in under 10mins with RotO, can you say that about HQ, SC, or BSF?

These have a place in the Hobby, I just wish they were more available.

I know it would raise the price significantly, but I would love if the enemies would be actual models, too. But I guess we all have some stealer laying around somewhere :rolleyes:

Edited by Rhavien
Spelling

I already own the marines due to the kill team they’re actually really nice models, all in subtly or unsubtly different poses to existing models which really helps spice up the appearance of a battle company lol

On 7/21/2024 at 9:02 PM, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

They were a way to make more money (GW have been striving to do that for a long time now) and they were conceived at a time when a box full of vac-formed plastic and card stock that took as long to set up as it did to play was acceptable. 

We're in a different world now, kids have shorter attention spans and a lot more shiny stuff begging for their attention. 

2 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

They were a way to make more money (GW have been striving to do that for a long time now) and they were conceived at a time when a box full of vac-formed plastic and card stock that took as long to set up as it did to play was acceptable. 

We're in a different world now, kids have shorter attention spans and a lot more shiny stuff begging for their attention. 

And again the price. SC or HQ would be very expensive today. Even back then I got them as a birthday or christmas present. This, on the other side could pass as an impuls buying. 

On 7/23/2024 at 12:17 PM, Rhavien said:

I know it would raise the price significantly, but I would love if the enemies would be actual models, too. But I guess we all have some stealer laying around somewhere :rolleyes:

They include a card for Captain Titus from "Space Marine: The Board Game" which has a sprue of termagaunts and the aforementioned caption. I think they intend for them to be a pairing, good guys in one box, baddies in the other. That said the Tyranid Prime and Lictor are going to have a hard time fitting on the SM:A board tiles!