Kill Team: Hivestorm (New Edition)

There are a lot of cool Kill Teams out there that have caught my eye, but I never felt the urge to actually get any because the idea of buying a bunch of rules and learning them for a game that no one plays locally just seemed pointless. Solo play and freely available online rules makes Kill Team highly enticing.

So initial thoughts

Numbers not shapes is a good qol change

Not a full rules reset is good to hear

Solo and coop modes very intriguing 

Grav dudes look ace. Wondering how I'd fit converted versions into my Solar Auxilia

Vespid are a great update. Not my thing really but I can see the appeal. 

That looks like a lot of terrain. Depending on price I may be picking this up on that basis alone. 

I had hoped it'd be a dual kit to allow you to make Scions or Aquilons but they look quite good. Being able to drop the power packs on the rifles and replace them with the cables once on the ground is a very nice lore touch.

Solo and co-op play is a very interesting way to learn the rules.

I agree but looking at the models I think it would be really easy to just use them as standard scions, just have to cut the grav chute parts off.

I wonder if there will actually be any difference between the carbines and standard versions of the weapons

This edition of Kill Team has me intrigued. I’ve had issues with past editions because the rules for different factions were not available on day one; off-topic - the same issue I have with 40K. Having all factions having free rules available at lunch is a huge improvement that should have a positive impact to the game. I’m not sure I’ll purchase the box set but may purchase the rulebook so that I can play other factions (fingers crossed for a Raptors set of rules on day one).

I too am very interested in the co-op and solo rules. I look forward to learning more about them. 

That's the bit that won't make it accessible to all, unfortunately.

Solo play does have me interested though. 

Don't want to get in a price debate. I fully understand and feel the pinch. I was saying in other places that it's likely I will not be able to pre order or buy at launch. It is what it is. I'll save for it.

Posted (edited)

Really hope that the into the dark space hulk terrain rules come back, and not in a slapdash WD article.

Sounds like they may be:

These elements are joined by a set of Approved Operations cards, which collect all of the information you need to play fast-paced Matched Play games of Kill Team in one convenient place. This is also where you’ll find all of your Tac Ops, Mission cards, and map keys, along with handy leaflets laying out six different terrain layouts for Kill Zones Volkus, Gallowdark, and Bheta-Decima.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I wonder if the terrain will be sized as the Vertigus one or as the Sector Imperialus one... I would say from the pics that the first option is likely... But it is hard to tell.

Did they say if terrain / killzone will be released alone?

What about seasons? Are they still a thing?

It's definitely the same - this particular ruin is even still available for £8.99 from Hatchette's Warhammer Imperium: 31

They didn't say anything about the Killzone being released alone but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't - or if another starter set appeared later.

image.png.f55106abd7da459030f6f9671a850ccd.pngimage.png.2307bca87b179756d39ab86f60086538.png

Seasons are still a thing, we will see more soon.

I'm just noticing that no-one made a thread for the Helldivers Tempestus Aquillons...

Anyway, Loving the look.
I know people were getting madge in the Stream Chat that it wasn't Elysian Drop Troops, but hey, now we have new bits for Grav-Chutes and I'm sure there'll be T'au players buying the box just for the Vespid team and selling off the Aquillons.
Just take the Grav-Pack bit, slap it on the back of the new Infantry Squad sprue and you've got Elysians (albeit without Deep Strike or anything, but that's what the Valkyrie is for, right?)

Here's my fear:

Yes, we get free faction rules on day one, and they stay free, but it's going to be pretty basic. You'll get your datacards, and the tactical ploys, and the strategic ploys, the tac-ops.

But you AREN'T going to get the Spec-Ops content- the requisitions, the assets, the rare equipment, the bespoke battle honours and possibly not the bespoke tac ops. Remember how flat the launch KT's for everyone except the release factions? That's what the free content will look look- perhaps not quite that anemic, but close to it. You'll be able to play on day one, but you'll need to wait for your book before you can campaign, just like 10th.

Obviously it's a better solution than not giving people anything before they get their book, but for people like me, a game that isn't part of a campaign is kind of a waste of limited gaming time.

I AM stoked about PVE, solo and co-op, I'm happy it's not a full edition change as much as a 1.5, and I do like numbers better than shapes (though I would have preferred keeping shapes if that meant that everything that already exists continued to be valid). Given all of that, it sounds like this was the best way they could have done a new edition, and I probably should wait to see more before I go getting bent out of shape.

But I hate edition churn so much. So much. It's killed most of the games I've played since my first game of D&D 43 years ago.

Here's my fear:

Yes, we get free faction rules on day one, and they stay free, but it's going to be pretty basic. You'll get your datacards, and the tactical ploys, and the strategic ploys, the tac-ops.

But you AREN'T going to get the Spec-Ops content- the requisitions, the assets, the rare equipment, the bespoke battle honours and possibly not the bespoke tac ops. Remember how flat the launch KT's for everyone except the release factions? That's what the free content will look look- perhaps not quite that anemic, but close to it. You'll be able to play on day one, but you'll need to wait for your book before you can campaign, just like 10th.

Obviously it's a better solution than not giving people anything before they get their book, but for people like me, a game that isn't part of a campaign is kind of a waste of limited gaming time.

I AM stoked about PVE, solo and co-op, I'm happy it's not a full edition change as much as a 1.5, and I do like numbers better than shapes (though I would have preferred keeping shapes if that meant that everything that already exists continued to be valid). Given all of that, it sounds like this was the best way they could have done a new edition, and I probably should wait to see more before I go getting bent out of shape.

But I hate edition churn so much. So much. It's killed most of the games I've played since my first game of D&D 43 years ago.

Yes, I sort of assume this is how it will go, over time you'll get rules for more and more factions for free as they are released. the current teams may or may not be fleshed out at launch. guess we'll see. but the core rules will all be there and free. good step.

I'm definitely curious how much Co-op/single player could end up turning into a narrative 40K style thing. Spec ops teams blowing the bridge to separate a convoy of tanks (or destroy them) before then going to pick off a command vehicle etc. Or assassinating a Deamon Prince or Hive Tyrant (or Colonel) and then getting out before the hordes of guards swarm down. Setting booby traps to lure a knight into a kill zone before finishing it off rather than engaging with it on the open battlefield.

So, I've been looking at the pictures of the Universal/Generic Equipment and trying to work out what there's going to be available to everyone in the game:

Screenshot_20240818_110523.thumb.jpg.ebc16be2e4a1d098dc5e7d90ff77440d.jpg

So, there appears to be:

- Barricades (same as current edition) 

- Razorwire (guess it slows movement) 

- Reinforced walls(?) 

- Shield of somesort(?) 

- Smoke grenade (affects line of sight, presumably) 

- flare/smoke signal (presumably used when deploying specific 'deep striking' operatives) 

- mines

- ammo cache

- grenades

- scanner

- portable ladders

The grenades are actually a useful idea for this game - although loads of 40k miniatures are modeled with grenades on them, only certain operatives in Kill Team can take them, and it can be tricky to remember which specific one you've paid to have grenades! :huh:  Also, there's 4 different types, so be interesting to see what the other two are (besides frag and krak, which are a given :biggrin::smile: