Kill Team: Hivestorm (New Edition)

So, I've been looking at the pictures of the Universal/Generic Equipment and trying to work out what there's going to be available to everyone in the game:

Screenshot_20240818_110523.thumb.jpg.ebc16be2e4a1d098dc5e7d90ff77440d.jpg

So, there appears to be:

- Barricades (same as current edition) 

- Razorwire (guess it slows movement) 

- Reinforced walls(?) 

- Shield of somesort(?) 

- Smoke grenade (affects line of sight, presumably) 

- flare/smoke signal (presumably used when deploying specific 'deep striking' operatives) 

- mines

- ammo cache

- grenades

- scanner

- portable ladders

The grenades are actually a useful idea for this game - although loads of 40k miniatures are modeled with grenades on them, only certain operatives in Kill Team can take them, and it can be tricky to remember which specific one you've paid to have grenades! :huh:  Also, there's 4 different types, so be interesting to see what the other two are (besides frag and krak, which are a given :biggrin::smile:

The design of one of the grenades matches the smoke and flare ones. Not sure on the other.

Slightly off topic but

Are they ever planning on releasing the Night Lords, Mandrakes, GSC and whatever the fourth one was?

They're already talking about the new edition on WHC this week, but there are four teams that are going on six months since their boxes that haven't come out yet

Sorry. I've just been waiting for the Night Lords and it's getting really old

I hope we see some articles about edition differences this week, but considering that the preorder is a month away and BA go up next week, I expect Warcom to be little more than wall to wall marine content all week.

Based on this https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/08/18/operation-hivestorm-the-ultimate-sting-operation/

I think you may be surprised.

So, I've been looking at the pictures of the Universal/Generic Equipment and trying to work out what there's going to be available to everyone in the game:

So, there appears to be:

- Barricades (same as current edition) 

- Razorwire (guess it slows movement) 

- Reinforced walls(?) 

- Shield of somesort(?) 

- Smoke grenade (affects line of sight, presumably) 

- flare/smoke signal (presumably used when deploying specific 'deep striking' operatives) 

- mines

- ammo cache

- grenades

- scanner

- portable ladders

The grenades are actually a useful idea for this game - although loads of 40k miniatures are modeled with grenades on them, only certain operatives in Kill Team can take them, and it can be tricky to remember which specific one you've paid to have grenades! :huh:  Also, there's 4 different types, so be interesting to see what the other two are (besides frag and krak, which are a given :biggrin::smile:

Barricades - light cover

Razorwire - expect it requires an extra 2" movement to cross

Heavy Barricade - heavy cover

Mantlet/Door shield etc - no idea. Might be a cheaper heavy cover bit of equipment that can shield one operative rather than 2-3 like the barricades/heavy barricades

I think the red and white smoke are both just smoke grenades but colour coded for the two teams.

Grenades are Frag (black), Krak (round silver), Smoke (red) and Stun (presumably blue) - they mentioned these as the generic grenades that the Aquilon grenadier has access to along with their fancy melta bomb.

Looks like the 'old' barricades might have had a slight improvement: there's little feet at the back which should help it stand up better

Yes. someone else I was watching mentioned this as well, a welcomed change.

I hope they put up a couple articles about the PvE part, sounds really interesting and feels a little like the big selling point of this edition.

would also be fun to have one or two PvE boxsets in an ashes of faith style each season.

Totally agree! I've been playing the Space Marine Adventures game with my eight-year-old, and it's a much better way to introduce someone to the universe. I liked the comment they made about the unpleasant asymmetry of a person with 150 games under their belt just crushing a total noob. Even if you want to hook them and go easy, it's often hard to do so – muscle memory is too strong.

As this is a new edition box is it expected to stay in production for a while or to be a one and done FOMO release?

I expect it'll be a FOMO box if Octarius was any indication, however since the latest KT box (Termination) is still readily available most places I hope they'll have a decent amount of stock for this as well.

To be fair, GW peaked with names when they did Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau back in Rogue Trader

How about the Tech-priest Wilhelm Gaytes?

I wish we could go back to unique names like Azrael, Ezekiel, Abaddon, Ahriman, Armageddon, Prospero, Sabbat, Dante, Corbulo, Tycho...

Or like the entire Eldar scheme of slightly altered Celtic.

I have spent the time since the reveal endlessly chanting "please don't mess the new edition up" in my head. 

That's not weird, right? :laugh:

I'm also genuinely relieved that people generally seem to like the new Scions - as perhaps the only person in the world who thought the originals were much cooler than the Kasrkin and Stormtroopers*, I was honestly expecting to read page after page of vitriol. :sweat: I agree that these new ones look better, and I think largely that's down to the better proportions and slightly less chunky looking armour.

*Before everyone gets mad, this is not a knock on the coolness of either Kasrkin or Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, I just personally like the Scions more. Special forces dudes with hi-tech futuristic gear, fancy berets of distinction and clunky medieval breastplates? That's my kind of 40K, for sure. :happy: 

or Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, 

Not to knock you in particular - but can we stop calling the third edition metal stormtrooprs "Inquisitorial Stormtroopers" when they were released as Imperial Guard stormtroopers, and remained that in the catalogues, even when repainted for Codex Daemonhunters as Inquisitorial equivalents.

My apologies, I was simply using the name I'm most familiar with for those models. :sweat:

In any event, now that Scions and Kasrkin have some updated and really rad models, I look forward to the day we see the classic Stormtroopers - with whichever name or faction affiliation they wind up being given - getting sweet new models too. :happy:

...Maybe Kill Team '27 will have Stormtroopers vs the Slicing Orbs of Zandros or something equally wild for the launch box :tongue:

Edited by Ace Debonair
Typo, and forgot a word, and ANOTHER Typo