Kill Team: Hivestorm (New Edition)

In any event, now that Scions and Kasrkin have some updated and really rad models, I look forward to the day we see the classic Stormtroopers - with whichever name or faction affiliation they wind up being given - getting sweet new models too. 

I always though that Scions were the replacement for those chaps, lore wise. I wouldnt say no to more carapace armored humans though.

Just when I think I’m out they pull me back in lol. I love both of these Killteam, may see if my brother wants to go hlavsies with me. Lately I’ve been on a Oldhammer /2nd ed and Prohammer binge, planning out Oldhammer armies that I’ll create using my pile of Firstborn shame/potential, looking at sourcing 2nd ed gaming materials, as well as watching Oldhammer bat reps and painting guides on YouTube, and also looking at Necromunda 18 stuff. But I do love both of these teams and feel they’d also be great as apart of a larger Inquisitorial/Tempestas combined army and T’au army respectively dependant on which half Drew would want. Also I do love the colour scheme of these new Tempesta bois even though I’d probably paint mine with black fatigues and red armour to go with the Inquisition themed army this release has inspired.

Edited by FormelyKnownAsSmashyPants

These are the 'original' Guard Storm Troopers I remember from second edition:

image.jpeg.192f444e6c5246948548b3f4e9273ec4.jpeg

But I do like the Tempestus, other than oversized helmets.

These are the metals which accompanied the monoplane plastics!

images(15).jpeg.643142bf1fdd39deff2af4acf8b5fb55.jpeg

The glorious metals in 3rd were a redesign of the storm trooper conceptually too, adding the bomb-suit carapace and respirators 

Screenshot_20240820-142224.thumb.png.b1ad3ca9f5c93dcc52bdfd01eba8f290.png

This introduction, including hellguns and carapace, was reflected first in a novel in Ghostmaker's final chapters (added by Abnett when turning the short stories into a novel), with the Volpone geared like the new third edition storm troopers.

The following catalogue is a few years later, after Codex: Daemonhunters was published:

945748_md-ImperialGuardMark1Stormtroopers.thumb.jpg.b745b28dd11931ab175288fa245acf13.jpg

Edited by Petitioner's City

These are the metals which accompanied the monoplane plastics!

images(15).jpeg.643142bf1fdd39deff2af4acf8b5fb55.jpeg

The glorious metals in 3rd were a redesign of the storm trooper conceptually too, adding the bomb-suit carapace and respirators 

Screenshot_20240820-142224.thumb.png.b1ad3ca9f5c93dcc52bdfd01eba8f290.png

This introduction, including hellguns and carapace, was reflected first in a novel in Ghostmaker's final chapters (added by Abnett when turning the short stories into a novel), with the Volpone geared like the new third edition storm troopers.

The following catalogue is a few years later, after Codex: Daemonhunters was published:

945748_md-ImperialGuardMark1Stormtroopers.thumb.jpg.b745b28dd11931ab175288fa245acf13.jpg

These are amongst my favourite 40k miniatures of all time - at the end of 3rd/early 4th I had a Daemon Hunters army that included 40 of these - I sold them off a few years later to help pay for my wedding, which I came to regret over the years. Then, during the first lockdown, I trawled EBay and picked up a couple of squads worth (some needed stripping) - I'll paint them for nostalgia's sake at some point! :biggrin:

I also made a Kill Team with the current Scions a few years ago - even though painting Chaos Marines gave me a dislike of painting armour trims :sweat: these were nice to build and paint. I like that the new Aquilons keep the same look and design cues as these! IMG_20220320_194802.thumb.jpg.d3d93bf98d8e08d09c39dccdd62fe885.jpg

Posted (edited)

Article about some of the things already covered, but also a bit more details on what we know. 

Importantly there's confirmation the Compendium teams won't be getting rules, however the White Dwarf ones are sticking around.

"The Vespid Stingwings and Tempestus Aquilons from Kill Team: Hivestorm are just the start of an awesome new range of miniatures, but their peers from the current edition aren’t going anywhere. Almost every kill team released in a boxed set** from the Veteran Guardsmen of Kill Team: Octarius right up to the Hernkyn Yaegirs of Kill Team: Termination will have fully updated rules for the new edition and a pack of physical datacards to keep them close at hand, while those Kill Teams found in the Kill Team Annual 2021 – including the Elucidean Starstriders and the Gellerpox Infected – will receive updated digital rules.

** This does mean that kill teams from the Kill Team Compendium book will not have updated rules."

And a look at the new cards:

zU0KpZxhOqnRs5jM.jpg

(Also does anybody know how you do Quotes now? The ability to just make one without directly replying to a post seems to have vanished from the forum?)

Edited by Lord Marshal

So the two biggest announcements: KT 21 boxed teams all get rules, but you probably have to pay- I think they'll be in one of the starter set books, while KT 18 teams will get digital rules. The second big announcement is that defence as a stat is gone, which means their talk of few rules changes is.... Well, talk.

The only alternatives to a def stat are a) everyone has a fixed defence which tells them how many dice to roll or b) the entire mechanic of cancelling attack successes with defence successes is gone. If option a is true, the rules haven't changed much... But they absolutely changed for the worst, since a Custodian and a Guardsman basically have the same toughness/ evasion. If option b is true, GW are liars and the rules have changed A LOT!!!

Validating my opinion that edition churn sucks, and this should have just been two new KTs with a possible free PDF for enhanced flying rules.

Again, I am attempting to remain positive, but I expect each article to chip away more and more at my positivity.

So the two biggest announcements: KT 21 boxed teams all get rules, but you probably have to pay- I think they'll be in one of the starter set books, while KT 18 teams will get digital rules. The second big announcement is that defence as a stat is gone, which means their talk of few rules changes is.... Well, talk.

Higher up in the article it says this:

"Many classic kill teams will also be shipped out in brand new boxes that sport a QR code linking to their full and up-to-date rules online, with balance patches and updates for all Kill Team rules hosted right here at Warhammer Community"

I understand that as all the individual team rules will be on warcom for free and be updated there

They said at the initial announcement that all teams would be getting rules for free, but they'd also have hard copies you can buy optionally - which I assume means it's similar to the Index Cards for 40k 10th/AoS 4th.

How about the Tech-priest Wilhelm Gaytes?

I wish we could go back to unique names like Azrael, Ezekiel, Abaddon, Ahriman, Armageddon, Prospero, Sabbat, Dante, Corbulo, Tycho...

Or like the entire Eldar scheme of slightly altered Celtic.

Unique?... 

I'm assuming this is sarcasm or you've not delved into a Bible for a while?

The only alternatives to a def stat are a) everyone has a fixed defence which tells them how many dice to roll or b) the entire mechanic of cancelling attack successes with defence successes is gone. If option a is true, the rules haven't changed much... But they absolutely changed for the worst, since a Custodian and a Guardsman basically have the same toughness/ evasion. If option b is true, GW are liars and the rules have changed A LOT!!!

So, having a quick flick through the compendium (I've a lot of the other supplements but don't have time to check them right now), I can only find two operatives that do not have DF 3 (MB 3 Recon Drone, and DS8 Tactical Support Turret).

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of operatives are DF 3, it makes sense to streamline this rule, and add a line under the abilities/operative rules saying they roll extra, or fewer, dice for defence. 

It's not as drastic as your example with the Guardsman and Custodes would suggest - currently they both roll 3 dice for their saves, but yes there is a marked difference, as the Guardsman can only save on a 5 or 6, whereas Custodes only fail their save on a 1..!

Seeing the new profiles, I'm kind of relieved - the changes aren't as drastic as I'd feared. Although it is disappointing that Compendium teams are 'officially' being phased out, the profile changes are not so extreme that you can't use some common sense and update them to the new edition. Although they wouldn't be Tournament/matched play 'legal', I'm sure there are plenty of settings where you can still use them. 

If you want official rules, there are only a few factions not yet represented - hopefully we'll see bespoke Kill Team releases for them, or White Dwarf rules:

- Custodes

- Grey Knights

- Death Guard 

- Tyranids

- Chaos Daemons

I'm also hopeful that the Intercession Squad and Strike Force Justian will get their rules updates - if not, as I said, it looks easy enough to port them over, and amongst the players at my local gaming group, I'll be able to use them in friendly and campaign games :smile:

Edited by firestorm40k

They said at the initial announcement that all teams would be getting rules for free, but they'd also have hard copies you can buy optionally - which I assume means it's similar to the Index Cards for 40k 10th/AoS 4th.

Sure. It seems like they're free... If you buy a box of models with QR Codes.

Kinda like the APP is free... If you subscribe to WH+.

Your datacards WERE free, until dexes dropped and invalidated the free cards, and then of course the new cards became "free" if you bought the dex.

We'll see how it goes, but let's say that today's info dump has me concerned.

During the preview show on Saturday they explicitly stated that at the launch of this edition, all existing Kill Team rules would be available as free downloads from WarCom :smile:

Today's article makes it clear that Compendium Kill Teams, however, won't be getting updated. 

Your datacards WERE free, until dexes dropped and invalidated the free cards, and then of course the new cards became "free" if you bought the dex.

It specifically says the rules will be hosted on warcom and updated there so that sounds pretty free to me.

As you say though, that could easily change so we will have to wait and see

Posted (edited)

I'm expecting the QR code just sends you to the Downloads section of WarCom.

It's not for you and me who already know about it, but for Lil Timmy picking up a box for the first time. 

Edit: After double checking, "a QR code linking to their full and up-to-date rules online, with balance patches and updates for all Kill Team rules hosted right here at Warhammer Community" so it doesn't sound like they'll be buried under the app.

Edited by Lord Marshal

They did say in the stream that all Factions would have online Rules, so I wouldn't say its too much to assume that GW are essentially gonna make some kind of "Index: Killteam" download for each faction.

So Tyranids, for example, don't have the compendium team anymore but do have this new KT24 Index team they can use 

I'm also hopeful that the Intercession Squad and Strike Force Justian will get their rules updates - if not, as I said, it looks easy enough to port them over, and amongst the players at my local gaming group, I'll be able to use them in friendly and campaign games :smile:

Intercession Squad were in the Annual IIRC, alongside Warpcovern, Gellarpox, Starstriders and the Admech KillTeam.

I belive they explicitly called out them staying.

Strike Force Justian tho is a download currently, right?

No idea if that specifically is staying, but I hope it is (They have only said Compendium is going, after all).

Intercession Squad were in the Annual IIRC, alongside Warpcovern, Gellarpox, Starstriders and the Admech KillTeam.

I belive they explicitly called out them staying.

Strike Force Justian tho is a download currently, right?

Intercession Squad weren't in that Annual, don't know if they were in the 2023 one - they're a download on WarCom though (https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/uctVTzdkCwtQPn9R.pdf). 

Strike Force Justian never had an 'official' rules pack, but if you bought the Warhammer Heroes boxes, each had a card with the Kill Team profile and special rules for each Operative. 

I'm only wanting to see them carried over as I'm working on a Marine army right now so can use miniatures from it - I also plan to paint those Warhammer Heroes miniatures later this year! :biggrin:

Changes to equipment selection in the Stingwing article today- equipment is no longer purchased- instead, it's a pick 4 situation. They don't say if that's per model or team, and without seeing the lists that you choose from we can't say whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. I only mention it because GW has insisted "Rules aren't changing much."

Changes to equipment selection in the Stingwing article today- equipment is no longer purchased- instead, it's a pick 4 situation. They don't say if that's per model or team, and without seeing the lists that you choose from we can't say whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

In the current edition, as most equipment is either 2 or 3 points, you usually only end up taking 4, max 5 items anyway. I guess it depends what equipment items are carried over for each Team and what restrictions there are (e.g. you can't take upgrade x if you've got equipment y).