My Raven Guard test model ...

I've decided my second 40k collection (since my "hard hobby reset" back in October) will be Raven Guard. They have always been one of my favorite 40k factions that I never collected or played ...  and I've owned, read, listened to everything Black Library has ever put out on them, like my other favorites.

It will be slow going for now. I don't see myself seriously starting the collection for another month or so? In the meantime I whipped together a tactical squad sergeant as my Raven Guard test model; Sergeant Kyvus Garn of the 1st squad of the 3rd company Ghoststalkers.

I'll probably also get Kayvaan Shrike, model him with the helmet that comes on his belt, and paint him up too in the near future.

I will say there is a simple hobbyist/gamer pleasure of going with a standard codex compliant chapter versus the non-codex compliant ones! As someone who has owned and played Blood Angels and Dark Angels since getting into the hobby in late 2012. You don't have any unique chapter elite units that GW can and often screw up that you gotta sweat each edition, you don't have a small army of chapter specific unique characters that GW can screw up or you gotta sweat each rules edition or points update whether they get the shaft or not? I haven't played a standard codex compliant chapter since I collected/painted/played Crimson Fists back in mid 7th edition. I'm liking this feeling of having decided to do Raven as collection #2 next to my Black Templars. I've had two Horus Heresy Raven Guard  legion transfer decal sheets for the last several years from when I was thinking of trying out Horus Heresy and doing the Raven Guard as my legion. Those decal sheets are quality! I don't think I need to buy a bunch of upgrade kits for this collection? Maybe one or two max?

Painting Raven Guard, I think I got this!

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Edited by Helias_Tancred

Gotta love the Raven Guard. Great work on that guy.

I think we all agree Shrike looks soo much better with a helmet, so I’m looking forward to seeing your version. There are a lot of great ones out there online you can use for inspiration.

For the chapter symbol, you don't need to buy upgrade sprues and they add a lot of extra cost. However there are plenty of folks out there selling 3D printed shoulder pads at very little cost so it’s worth looking around on the web and on eBay to see what options are available.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to check out the 3d printed bits scene for Raven Guard when I actually start collecting in earnest. Thanks for that suggestion.

There is a pretty straight forward video on YouTube that shows a guy cutting off that helm that goes on his belt, delicately, and having much success with it. Doesn't look too hard to do? And I agree 110% about the helm looking better on vs hanging off his belt. C'mon man! You're THE Chapter Master, they are going to be gunning for you ;)

Edited by Helias_Tancred