Inquisitor_Lensoven Posted Sunday at 05:50 PM Share Posted Sunday at 05:50 PM I feel bad for him because I feel pretty much the same way. i can’t put my finger on what it is…but I’ve just lost pretty much all of my excitement for the game. MoriyaSchism and Ahzek451 1 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/ Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ahzek451 Posted Monday at 12:59 AM Share Posted Monday at 12:59 AM (edited) Guy hits the nail on the head. Honestly, a lot of what GW is now is a natural result a lot of companies MAY go through over time. The beating heart of an IP lives with the people who made it. As leadership changes and people age out, employees come and go, for this reason or that(changing insentives) for good or ill, GW has changed. Sometimes a company finds a way to safeguard its "soul" for a few generations(while still finding healthy ways to advance), but eventually it will ultimately falter and crumble. But more often then not, this tends to happen after first gen. It just comes down to an argument if its a good thing or not( usually split between older players vs. New. But not all. It could be competitive vs. Non). And if the soul of 40k is gone or just different. Edited Monday at 01:08 AM by Ahzek451 Inquisitor_Lensoven 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189362 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Evil Eye Posted Monday at 01:05 AM Share Posted Monday at 01:05 AM Whilst I'm sure I'd agree with him on this, I will never find out as I refuse to give that scumbag (who cheated on the mother of his twins with his assistant) any views. RolandTHTG, DemonGSides, Doghouse and 19 others 3 8 11 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189363 Share on other sites More sharing options...
N1SB Posted Monday at 03:50 AM Share Posted Monday at 03:50 AM Summary for those on phone, etc., so they can't watch this 45 minute video: Was it because Warhammer changed? Guy started in 2nd (BA vs. Orks box), 11th ed Armageddon should've been PERFECT His 40k peak also the start of its decline, 8th ed (the revamp) He appreciates Primaris, but he likes "40k when it's ugly. Not badly made...ugly." He also "can't keep up." All the news and previews Was it Guy himself (and his 40k friends, even us) that changed? Also "can't keep up" with the "homework/maintenance", errata, FAQs, new points He mentions his twins, co-parenting half the week, girlfriend, social life He and his friends are still tabletop gaming, but it's for Stargrave, 1 Page Rules 40k changed from "something he wants to do" to "something he HAS to do" And it's NOT anti-GW...he plays lots of Necromunda (so it's NOT about simplicity) Then he started sharing personal stories of not just being a 40k Hobbyist, but a 40k YouTuber/influencer. Everything he said makes sense, AND he's telling his subscribers/sponsors why he's winding down on 40k. Captain Idaho, Xenith, apologist and 2 others 1 4 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189376 Share on other sites More sharing options...
sitnam Posted Monday at 04:13 AM Share Posted Monday at 04:13 AM (edited) 23 minutes ago, N1SB said: 40k changed from "something he wants to do" to "something he HAS to do" Without the context of watching the video, this just seems like a natural end result of doing content creation. You turn your passion into a job, it might not be your passion forever. I don't envy those who have to paint//play/cover things they simply don't care about. If my boss tommorow told me to paint some Space Wolves I would: A. Be very confused because i don't paint in any professional manner B. Not want to do it because I personally dislike the Space Wolves Edited Monday at 04:14 AM by sitnam Antarius, hd3, phandaal and 3 others 1 5 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189377 Share on other sites More sharing options...
N1SB Posted Monday at 04:51 AM Share Posted Monday at 04:51 AM 29 minutes ago, sitnam said: Without the context of watching the video, this just seems like a natural end result of doing content creation. You turn your passion into a job, it might not be your passion forever. I don't envy those who have to paint//play/cover things they simply don't care about. Your read is EXACTLY what he talked about. Spot on. I kept my opinions out for a "just the facts" summary, but here. Share something I learned when I worked at an indie video game company. Our colleague who was a superstar as both the lead coder AND lead artist was playing either Tekken with me or I was watching him play Final Fantasy; like that was his jam. He just said, "Y'know...maybe we should be construction workers, then play video games after work." He meant what you said, when your passion becomes your job, it stops becoming your passion and is just your job. Working there had been a career dream for me and I think for him, and it did NOT become a nightmare, but it just became our waking life. The mystique is just gone. It became more fun to work in Big Tech and visit our gaming division sometimes. Guy here is simply burned out on 40k. He burned out even faster because he's also a 40k YouTuber. What I'm getting out of this is, I myself will probably focus on Necromunda and our style of 30k multiplayer 1000 pt armies. Focslain, sitnam and Gamiel 1 2 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189379 Share on other sites More sharing options...
SvenIronhand Posted Monday at 04:53 AM Share Posted Monday at 04:53 AM 11 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said: I feel bad for him I don’t. The cad knows what he did. Dalmyth, Khulu, ZeroWolf and 9 others 12 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189380 Share on other sites More sharing options...
MoriyaSchism Posted Monday at 05:09 AM Share Posted Monday at 05:09 AM (edited) His bit about Warhammer 40,000 being the best when it's ugly is stupid. These designs weren't ugly. The Imperial Armour and 3rd to 7th edition era wasn't ugly at all. The new stuff is just insanely bland. Midwinter was just a bad channel I learned to avoid. Most of these insanely glossy hobby channels bore me to tears as they do the blandest possible thing because if they do anything else they lose their access to free stuff from GW. Edited Monday at 12:53 PM by MoriyaSchism Marshal Rohr, N1SB and Robbienw 1 2 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189385 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redcomet Posted Monday at 05:59 AM Share Posted Monday at 05:59 AM A lot of people will lay the blame for this 100% on GW. And that is just not the case. Yes 40k har changed over the last 30 years, and yes some don’t like that. But making your hobby your job is bound to have an impact on the amount of hobby you do in your spare time and at some point burn out will be a real risk. And getting older and starting families is bound to have an impact on your life, the time you have and your priorities. ZeroWolf, Inquisitor_Lensoven, Gamiel and 5 others 1 7 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189392 Share on other sites More sharing options...
appiah4 Posted Monday at 07:38 AM Share Posted Monday at 07:38 AM Guy making 40K his job is only (a minor) part of the issue. Another (major) part of the issue is 40K changing from a fun beer and pretzels game with fun content to absorb at your pace into a soulless corporate product treadmill you run out of fomo. GW sucked the fun and character out of 40K and turned it into a bland part time job. The Praetorian of Inwit, Inquisitor_Lensoven, Shovellovin and 1 other 1 3 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189398 Share on other sites More sharing options...
N1SB Posted Monday at 09:15 AM Share Posted Monday at 09:15 AM 3 hours ago, MoriyaSchism said: His bit about Warhammer 40,000 being the best when it's ugly is stupid. These designs weren't ugly. The Imperial Armour and 3rd to 7th edition era wasn't ugly at all. The new stuff is just insanely bland. Midwinter was just a bad channel I learned to avoid. Most of these insanely glossy hobby channels bore me to tears because they do the blandest possible thing because if they do anything else they lose their access to free stuff from GW. Especially since there's probably another term he barely had to reach for like, say, GRIMDARK? I think I totally agree with you, just not as strongly. If anything, I bet he does, too, like he favours the Forgeworld look, because he praised Necromunda in particular. And while he himself does not receive free gifts from GW, I know what you mean in that they speak that Influencer-nese to grab attention, like "ugly". (Oh man, the best thing I heard was Clive Barker of Hellraiser fame used a term, "Grotesque Glamour." It wasn't even in one of his novels, it was just like a note scribbled in the margins of a design document for how the Cenobites should look. One of the producers or crew pointed out that's a typical turn of phrase for him.) That's why I listen to you guys over YouTubers. They're incenvitised to Hype AND/OR Hate on everything. Both those are exhausting. phandaal and Evil Eye 1 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189411 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Craig Posted Monday at 09:50 AM Share Posted Monday at 09:50 AM Not watching this video as it's obviously click bait negativity. Sad to see that it's already one of the most popular videos on his channel over the last year. Whether it's "the algorithm" or people really like spending 40 mins of their time watching someone moan about a hobby which people should get enjoyment from I don't know. It's just a bit sad to see in numbers that people have gravitated more to the negative content than the creative/hobbying content he makes. hd3, Adeptekon, TwinOcted and 1 other 1 4 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189416 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jukkiz Posted Monday at 11:00 AM Share Posted Monday at 11:00 AM 9 hours ago, Evil Eye said: Whilst I'm sure I'd agree with him on this, I will never find out as I refuse to give that scumbag (who cheated on the mother of his twins with his assistant) any views. Remember that he basically said that if you play Germany on Bolt Action, you´re basically supporting funny moustace man hd3, Lathe Biosas, Evil Eye and 1 other 4 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189427 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Evil Eye Posted Monday at 11:39 AM Share Posted Monday at 11:39 AM 32 minutes ago, Jukkiz said: Remember that he basically said that if you play Germany on Bolt Action, you´re basically supporting funny moustace man Yep. There is also a certain irony to it all given that the Imperium makes the Spicy Windmill Regime look like Care-A-Lot in comparison, and that everyone else is somehow considerably worse (and that if the Imperium eased off on the horrific totalitarianism, the literal forces of Hell would win). Adeptekon, hd3 and crimsondave 3 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189434 Share on other sites More sharing options...
sarabando Posted Monday at 11:43 AM Share Posted Monday at 11:43 AM 8 hours ago, Evil Eye said: Whilst I'm sure I'd agree with him on this, I will never find out as I refuse to give that scumbag (who cheated on the mother of his twins with his assistant) any views. im so glad this is still squarely an issue for people, it may not have anything to do with the hobby but holding people accountable for bad behaviour knows no bounds. fun fact my most successful video was in response to MWM after he very unsubtly said that people who play historical wargames are suspect :cuss: and those who play as the "bad guys" are basically n4zis irl. burn out is real, ive struggled with it a lot and it sucks but you dont need to drama post about it. however the comments he made about not wanting the box and his community not wanting it etc is very real, the vast majority of my viewers are echoing the same thing, they are all getting burnt out on GW and dont want to buy any more. crimsondave, Evil Eye, MoriyaSchism and 4 others 3 4 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189435 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lord Marshal Posted Monday at 12:38 PM Share Posted Monday at 12:38 PM (edited) Hello Wargaming Youtuber, I see your retention numbers are down. It's time to release a bi-yearly 'I'm FINISHED with 40k' video. No this does not mean you will stop producing 40k and certainly not GW content, but we advise you miss one or two videos while you soak in the extra views from the clickbait and subs from the 'I hate GW but I would never, ever, ever, ever stop talking about them' audience. After 2-3 months you should be good to go again on 40k content, with or without a 'Did GW just SAVE 40K???' videos. Furthermore, we would like to inform you that Trench Crusade content is on a downward turn and would now advise a temporary shift into 2-3 months of Starcraft videos. Thank you for using Lord Marshal's Content Creator Services! Edited Monday at 01:42 PM by Lord Marshal RolandTHTG, Antarius, stretch_135 and 25 others 1 21 1 5 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189444 Share on other sites More sharing options...
grailkeeper Posted Monday at 12:43 PM Share Posted Monday at 12:43 PM 3 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said: Hello Wargaming Youtuber, I see your retention numbers are down. It's time to release a bi-yearly 'I'm FINISHED with 40k' video. At least he's not Discourse minis who seems to only produce weekly Warhammer is FINISHED videos. Brother Lutheriel, Antarius, ThaneOfTas and 8 others 3 1 7 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189446 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jukkiz Posted Monday at 12:43 PM Share Posted Monday at 12:43 PM 54 minutes ago, sarabando said: im so glad this is still squarely an issue for people, it may not have anything to do with the hobby but holding people accountable for bad behaviour knows no bounds. fun fact my most successful video was in response to MWM after he very unsubtly said that people who play historical wargames are suspect and those who play as the "bad guys" are basically n4zis irl. burn out is real, ive struggled with it a lot and it sucks but you dont need to drama post about it. however the comments he made about not wanting the box and his community not wanting it etc is very real, the vast majority of my viewers are echoing the same thing, they are all getting burnt out on GW and dont want to buy any more. something could be said about GW pumping out marines constantly,upped to 100times to what it seemed to be. Mediocre, mirrored sculpts and losing customizing of your marines is having big effect also when 50% of your primarinades at table look same after one box of same unit. Worse if other player also plays only primarinades. Hobby burnout comes in many ways but lately the awful legs fused to torsos, billion fiddly bits per even "simple" models and lack of support for other armies/niches is taking heavier toll acoording to my gaming buddies. Drukhari got 6 models in 6 years while marines alone got 8 new ones in armageddon box. Gw has been lazy overall with their release ideas. Boltgun games Malum Caedo would´ve been no brainer to spark up intrest but 3rd party makers atleast give you something. Lathe Biosas 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189447 Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Yncarne Posted Monday at 01:55 PM Share Posted Monday at 01:55 PM I quit playing after a few games with the 9th ed Thousand Sons codex after playing every edition since the Rogue Trader Compendium release. I just couldn’t keep up with all the rule intricacies, a 3-4 year lifecycle where a codex might be good a few months before an edition change, and the continual Apple premium marketing model. i also don’t like the trend of making models more difficult to assemble (AoS Bonereapers maybe being the pinnacle) and less customizable as a result of the Chapterhouse saga. It got more physically difficult to paint and I had decades of painted models at hand. All of this led to periods of increased burnout. I eventually moved to OPR and enjoy it more than I’ve enjoyed 40k since 4-5 edition. I’m not here to sell you on OPR or any other game, but it enabled me to use my models the way I wanted without an afternoon’s time commitment and chasing a “meta” that never settles due to updates and churn. I hope the reader feels confident to play whatever they want and emphasize the part of wargaming they enjoy. MoriyaSchism, Antarius and phandaal 1 2 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189460 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blissful Brushes Posted Monday at 03:52 PM Share Posted Monday at 03:52 PM If you make your hobby your job it’ll very soon cease to be your hobby. That’s the obvious take away, and having watched his videos in the past - didn’t know about the cheating - he’s sounded particularly uninspired for a good couple of years, or is just dull to listen to in the first place. I am also of the opinion that with mini collecting/gaming if you spread yourself too thinly you either A) achieve very little or B) burn out unless you are in the 0.1% for whom it genuinely seems to be their entire personality (EoB for example) coupled with the ability to paint and build to a high standard rapidly. I will likely never ‘burn out’ of 40k because I don’t care enough about the gaming side to absolutely need a game legal force at all times that’s meta enough to keep up. I build/convert and paint at my own rate, to my own favourite bits of canon. It is, in short, a hobby which I dip in and out of as the mood takes me; at the moment I’m quite into it. — As far as GW goes…I think the shift in their mindset from creating models that are bases to build from - eg a basic Tactical Marine/Intercessor to what are effectively mono pose minis - attractive though they may be - hits a lot of hobbyists that aren’t as into converting as I am but want a huge army. GW seems to be targeting new business more than existing business and having the more monopose boxes allows newbies to get cool poses and no risk of repetition in their army. calgar101 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189479 Share on other sites More sharing options...
phandaal Posted Monday at 04:58 PM Share Posted Monday at 04:58 PM 12 hours ago, N1SB said: Summary for those on phone, etc., so they can't watch this 45 minute video: Another part of this is making 40k videos is simply not a long-term plan for steady employment. Guys either naturally age out, or the market gives them a strong lesson in the value (or lack thereof) of spending their time making 40k videos. And being Youtubers, they make a video announcing it when they finally hit that inevitable wall. It is a slightly more benign "main character" kind of video than the painting Youtuber subgenre of "Someone else won the Slayer Sword this year - here's what Golden Demon needs to change." 2 hours ago, The Yncarne said: I eventually moved to OPR and enjoy it more than I’ve enjoyed 40k since 4-5 edition. I’m not here to sell you on OPR or any other game, but it enabled me to use my models the way I wanted without an afternoon’s time commitment and chasing a “meta” that never settles due to updates and churn. 100% Alt 40k, OPR, Five Leagues/Five Parsecs, Stargrave/Frostgrave, The Doomed, Oathmark, Dragon/Lion/Xenos Rampant... there are so many ways to get your same minis on the table without all the modern GW jank. N1SB and The Yncarne 1 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189487 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lay Posted Monday at 05:20 PM Share Posted Monday at 05:20 PM Wait, that guy is leaving the hobby? I thought complaining about GW, the rules and the art direction is part of the fun hd3, Brother Lutheriel and N1SB 2 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189490 Share on other sites More sharing options...
MoriyaSchism Posted Monday at 06:10 PM Share Posted Monday at 06:10 PM I heard a rumour that some of the people in this "Hobby as a job" sphere bot their views and it's not sustainable as it was in the past. You're going to start seeing a lot more paid sponsorships and less Warhammer from some people. phandaal 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189495 Share on other sites More sharing options...
grailkeeper Posted Monday at 06:34 PM Share Posted Monday at 06:34 PM One thing I'm very glad is there hasnt been much of a warhammer/ only fans cross over, in the same way the Goth Girls are being faked now. Given the target market for warhammer an only fans type girl could clear up if she was the first. But given that it is still a game aimed at children I'm very glad we dont really have that type of content creator. There are a few sexualised warhammer things out there, comics primarily. Call me old fashioned but I dont like em. N1SB 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189504 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Borbarad Posted Monday at 06:57 PM Share Posted Monday at 06:57 PM Guy is fishing for clicks. Sad to see the B&C community to fall for these attention pariahs. DemonGSides 1 Back to top Link to comment https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/388586-midwinter-minis-done-with-40k-ish/#findComment-6189507 Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts