Kilted Marines

Love the work you are both doing with the kilts, have you thought of using clear soft vinyl to make them rather than greenstuff, it work wonderful and at this scale one sheet would last you ages.

I've used it on my custom action figures, and plan to use it on my marines for cloaks and stuff.

Actualy I've thought about useing cloth soaked in watered down white glue before, but while that works great for banners, with something like robes or kilts, it's more difficult to get the look you want, exspecialy when working on something this small.

• 2 weeks later...

Live! Live again! By the power of threadomancy, I command you to live!

Er, I mean, I have relevants things to post. Yeah, that's it.

Posted pics of the last Sons I've assembled over in the PC&A, or you can just go to my pbucket gallery for the Sons.

I think I'll run a Sons Kill-Team in the Hunt The Xenos event the local Battle Bunker is running on the 25th, so hopefully I'll have some painted pics and reports of the Sons first action!

Sorry for not posting up any more work on the Sons yet. I've been out of town at a friend's house for the past few weeks, and not sure when I'll be getting home. A friend of mine just got home from Iraq and we're haveing a major gamefest here, so as soon as I get home and get some work done, I'll be posting things again.

That's actually a pretty good idea for Scouts, come to think about it... I hadn't thought of using that kit. It would, unfortunately, take a fair amount of effort to insure the Marauder's heavily Norse theme wouldn't come through...

++edit++

Love the sig, btw. :cuss

• 3 weeks later...
Eh, it's not that they're actually Scottish per se, but they are Scottish-themed. Like how the Wolves are very Norse-themed, but they don't actually call themselves Norse. It just so happens that the populace of the planet the Sons inhabit and recruit from are very Scottish-like.

WOW! :unsure: Y'all have come up with a lot already! I was just thinking recently of a Scottish theme for SMs, but more of a semi-modern Highland Regiment/Black Watch look. Lots of fodder for looks and fluff there!

Black Watch

Of course they were formed partly from Campbells in the beginning. Woohoo! (I've got a wee nip o' Campbell blood in me, though I'm a native gator.) Their tartan is good too.

Barret: If you're having trouble with the St. Andrews flag, maybe you should use the flag of mecernary, conqueror, and would-be despot Gen. Gregor MacGregor.

Gergor!

Of course he may just have used it when he "conquered" Amelia Island Florida.

If this thread is still active at the time of the next one, Ironloki, you should post us pics from the Edinburg....scuse me, "Edinberra" Military Tattoo. *Humms bagpipe music.*

Remeber all, if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

Thanks for that link Gator! As you may have been able to discern, I'm a McGregor myself (I kill ye, ye stinkin' Campbell :unsure: ) and I'd never heard of that guy.

Cheers.

Also, if anyone cares, I am still working on the Sons, I just started school a couple of weeks ago, and my schedules pretty hectic between classes and transit time. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's not like "Game Design Theory" and "Visual Storytelling" are a major burden. ;)

• 1 month later...

Erf... It's been so long since I've smelled paint drying in the open air.. That stay at my friend's house for the huge party and the introduction of World of Warcraft have put a major kink in my painting regiment.. That and the fact that I ended up leaveing my paint and most of my models at my friend's house out of town >.<

Im still alive, you all. Sorta. And still kicking around ideas. Sorta. Was thinking about entering some of my minis in the art contest at a local fair here. But alas, the website yielding no contact information....

• 9 months later...

Thread...lives....AGAIN...

Anyways, I finally got more work done on the Sons. Namely, finally worked up at 1750 point list and I'm starting building it. I've already got the Captain/Clan-Chief and two full Tac Squads. I've started on the first of three Scout Squads.

Since I loath the new plastic Scouts (and the old metal ones, too) I decided to build my own using a combination of Chaos Marauder and Space Wolf Blood Claws. The general method I'm using is the same as I've seen used to make Wolf Scouts (the person who did it and posted the tutorial online has completly escaped my memory). Basically: Marauder groins/upper legs with Marine lower legs and torsos. The weapons and heads I'm mixing and matching. It'll probably be mostly Marine heads, as most of the heads off the Marauder sprue are too Chaos-y.

So, without further ado, here's the test Scout:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/Sons%20of%20Dagda/Scout_Test_F.gif

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ElcidBarret/Sons%20of%20Dagda/Scout_Test_S.gif

As can be seen, I'm a bit out of practice with the kilts, so this one needs a bit of smoothing...

Of course, the kilt quite neatly hides the Marauder legs, which kind of defeats the entire point of the conversion. What I may do is just do the kilts for some of them (namely, the ones where the joins are particularly bad).

The flash lines still need to be trimmed, and the base need to be finished off still. And I need to drill his pistol...

So, err, yeah, C&C anyone?

Cheers,

Barret

I play the bagpipes...no really, I do. They are the only instrument ever declared a weapon of war and have been heard on battlefields all over the globe. Usually I don't tell people what to do, but this time I have to say you MUST incorporate the bagpipes into your chapter somehow! Hey I know! Model a bagpiper per unit to represent frag grenades. WHAT??? you say? Well instead of the enemy diving for cover from frag grenades...they will be diving for cover from the "skirl o' the Pipes!!" :lol:

Or just use them as a holy relic for one of your command squads led by a Druid/Chaplain.

Either way do something!!!!

When I get to building a Command Squad for the Captain, the "Standard Bearer" will definately be using a set of pipes. I hadn't considered the idea of using them to represent frags, though. I -like- that idea! :lol:

As for the Druid/Chaplain thing, that's something else I hadn't considered... I know 'druids' as they're thought of today are about as far from the real thing as possible, but that's a really good idea. I think they'd likely be better off as Librarians, though. Kind of like the White Scars and their Storm Seers, or the Wolves' Rune Priests...

Heh, I think I'm going to abandon the pretense of just building a regular army, and go for building the entire 3rd "McGregor" Clan-Company.

Here's what of thinking of for the roster:

HQ:

Captain/Clan-Chief w/ Command Squad

Librarian/Druid w/ Command Squad

Chaplain w/ Command Squad (and pipes representing Holy Relic!)

Elites:

2x Terminator Squads

Dreadnaught

Troops:

4x 10-man Tac Squads

2x Six-Man Tac Squads w/ Razorbacks

3x Scout Squads, 1 BP+CCW, 1 Bolters + HB, 1 Sniper Rifles

Heavy Support:

2x Devestator Squads

So the completed list so far is:

Captain/Clan-Chief

2x 10-man Tac Squads

And the first Scout Squad is underway.

Also, my next project over the next few days will be to compile all the stuff in this thread into one big IA article for the Sons...

Very nice. Reason I suggested the Chaplain command squad with holy relic for pipes, is because when it is revealed, the marines pretty much go nuts for a turn, as did the Highlanders when their "tunes o' glory" were played on the battlefield. I agree that a druid would be best suited as a librarian. I guess a Chaplain could just be a Priest of some sort. Also, I think Scouts represent Higlanders best. Highland soldiers were (are?) the best light infantry the world was ever seen. Infiltrate, Move through Cover and the light weaponry of Scouts really goes well with the Highlander feel.

P.S. I am from British Columbia also, but I'm an "Islander Highlander " :lol:

Another BC'er, cool. :lol: I don't think there's many of us on here...

I agree with you completely on the Scouts representing Highland infantry. Hence the Scouts I'm building now. ;)

I think that Chaplains could pretty much be represented 'as-is', though their role might be more of Loremasters and the keepers of the sagas of heroes than full-on religious leaders. I modified the above list to include a Chaplain with Holy Relic. Your point about the 'tunes o' glory' makes sense to me...

I think I'll grab that Max Schreiber model from the fantasy range when he comes out, chop his legs off, replace them with PA legs and call him a druid/librarian. He looks the part...

Cheers,

Barret

You do realize that this thread is about a full year old now? O.o

I was wondering if anyone was even thinking about this still. I started this after going to the Highland Games last year and they've just come and gone again, so I've been thinking on this again.

Work has taken up most of my time lately so I've not had a chance to work on much anymore, dispite haveing the money to do so.

I may get some stuff to work on a chaplin conversion for the army sometime. Dunno if it'll get painted though.

In other kilted news, I got in contact with my clan and Im considering 'official' membership, and I'll see about representing my clan at the next highland gathering. I also now have a full set of highland weapons (minus the targe) and Im looking into getting myself a kilt now that I know how to fold one.

Hey, good to see you again!

My school year is coming to a close, and it's my birthday, so I suspect the 3rd Company is about to get a lot of additions and attention. :unsure:

Good luck with getting official status in the your clan. I should look into doing that, too...

Cheers,

Barret

Hiya folks

Just read this thread from start to finish and it's intrigued me a lot. 15 years ago I 'founded' Legionus Iolair - an Ultramarines offshoot (I have my reasons). Iolair is gaelic for eagle (imperial symbol) and also the name of the last vessel built by Scott Lithgows on the banks of the Clyde - my home.

After an absence of many, many long years I'm returning to the Emperors service and Iolair are being revamped and rebuilt for the 4th edition rules.

The right shoulder pad of every trooper is the crest of the Drummond clan (my sept).

Veterans & Officers wear, either on the left shoulder or on leg plates, a green (homemade) tartan - very loosely based on British Army military tartans.

Assault squads carry chainswords and use jump packs - how better to show the Highland Charge. There's even a squad somewhere carrying (storm) shields - or targe's to be precise.

Flamers, chainswords and hvy bolters are the preferred weapons of the chapter

One of my main opponents back in the day was an avid orc player, therefore, under the new rules they've got a preferred enemy - the wee green beasties.

Now all I have to do is rebuild the army list to match Ed 4 rules :)

Alba go bragh

Thanks for slogging through all of that, Legionus_Iolair, it's good to know it's interesting to someone besides us. :ph34r:

Your chapter sounds quite interesting, I'd love to see some of the models if you have pics.

As we said earlier in the thread, we left six of the ten clan-companies without definition in case anyone is interested in adding to the project. I know you've already got a lot of work done on the Legionus Iolair, but if you're interested, I'm sure the Drummonds would make good additions to the Sons. ^_^

Actually, that reminds me of something else I was thinking. I think the two Traits and the Major Disadvantage should probably be fairly standard across the Chapter, but maybe the Minor Disadvantage could vary by Clan? For example, right now the Minor is "Have Pride In Your Colours", which works for the 1st and MacKenzie Companies, but "We Stand Alone" would work better for the ambush-loving, distrustful McGregors. Just a thought. I'd also be cool with the allowance to trade out one of the Traits, probably "No Mercy, No Respite" for Preferred Enemy at will, especially for Orks, as they've been a long-running foe of the Sons.

Cheers,

Barret

Hi Barret,

Tempting tho' it may be I don't fancy repainting a 6000+pt army - it's bad enough just tweaking bits & bobs (and occasionaly pulling weapons off). I've bought some new veteran figs and, with a bit of tweaking, I'll be slotting them in as Seargents

I'll try and sort out some pics soon

I'm also getting really drawn to the Cadian figs and am debating rebuilding my IG army - methinks the missus will kill me if I bring more figs in from the shed!

Heh, tell me about it. I've got Blood Angels to finish first, exspecialy since the local game store started carrying 40K again, expanded, and will be running tournaments. After that I need to finish building a fantasy Chaos army, then probably the Sons, then maybe tyranids since I got a bunch of old ones from a friend.. Erf, so many armies, such little time..

Archived