Who wants to help Vyper design a chapter?

On a seperate note, did you find that date for the conclave Brother Sergeant Alasseo? This was the conlcave that induced the Alexander-like crusade that LSM made, correct? Not the same crusade the Marines conducted after his death, to bring the same worlds to heel to Imperial rule.

I'm afraid I haven't. I've been running round like a mad thing trying to keep on top of about 30 different projects at once. I didn't see the date in Xenos, but I'm certain it is somewhere in the Eisenhorn trilogy. I'll keep loking when/if I have time, but it may be an idea to have someone else take a look as well.

So, would I be safe in saying a 23th Founding chapter would fall on roughly 984.M40 ? I mean this is a random mil fraction, but the correct millenium none the less, late in the 40th Mil?

It's generally a safer idea not to give actual dates for foundings, unless they've been given by GW - who knows when they'll next drop a date into the fluff, and if it happens to be different to the date you chose, then you'll end up having to re-write your fluff... :lol:

The best way to get round it is to be vague by either not giving a date; "...were created as part of the 23rd Founding..." or (and this would be my preferred option) not giving a founding number; "...were founded at the end of the 41st millenium..."

Also remember that M40 is the 41st Millenium, not the 40th...

As the chevroned one says: it's best to be as vague as GW.

That's why I've placed my chapters founding far into the past, even the chapter itself isnt't quite sure which one. It saves me a lot of headaches with continuity, consistency and accuracy (don't need the last one). Or it would if I had actually written much :lol:

BTW, Heralds of Anubis smacks of brilliance...as for basing them on a dead wordl, whi not - you could have a big Jabba-esque fortress-palace complex, and marines wear armour in space, so it could be treated as a non-vacuum hostile environment. Certainly would stop the casual Ork horde or traito guard battalion deciding they wanted to invade an inhospitable planet ruled by 8ft tall super-humans...

It's quite useful to have a population to recruit from though. They could of course take them from planets they pass on their way to battlezones (as the Black Templars do) or from nearby systems but still.

Im thinking along the lines of the N'Go, a strong desert power race, with a feel much like the Fremen, from Frank Herbert's Dune, and my marines were key to their "reintroduction" of their homeworld, roughly 1000 years after it was virus bombed by the Inquisition, for roots of traitor guard. The N'Go are a strong and survivalist race, and key population for my marines to recruit from now.

Sound good?

Fremen marines!

Desert Power!

Well, that would put their reintroduction to the planet at somepoint early in the 42nd millennium, which, given that the official timeline is frozen round about 976999.m41 (round about christmas in the year 40,999), you wouldn't even get to use them.

If you cut it down to a couple of centuries, then not only will it be safe for them to return, but you will be able to have the army around and playable.

I like the idea of using a fremen-type tribe to recruit from though, very appropriate

Perhaps the N'Go were transplanted several thousand years ago, to another feral desert world, but have always sworn they would uphold their ancestry and reclaim their heritage etc etc...

That way you have the N'Go going on to provide the stock for your marines, who will have thus all sworn the oath o reclaim and cleanse their world. If you've read the Thrawn trilogy, perhps you could have the marines employing all manner of machines to cleanse the sands and the atmosphere of the planet to make it habitable and battle the constant deterioration caused by harmful chemicals in the air. This would be somewhat similar to the Noghri homeworld...

Archived