Just another idea.

Mutt-Man!

Ok, so we've got yet another DiY chapter with quirks.

This one's special, however.

Note, this is from memory, brother decided to take an extended trip with my SM codex. :mellow:

Be swift as the wind, Tust in the wisdom of the Ainchients (I think thats it, the one that dreads occupy a differant selection choice)

Flesh over Steel, We stand alone

Basic fluff, ok they're a late founding, they're little brother marines and push the envelope with a heastrong approach to warfare. Bikes and drop pods, alot of them.

All dreads and marines in power armour MUST be mounted in a drop pod, if not allowed then they may not be used. - They seek an enemy out using scouts, recon and other methods of detection and storms in asap using shock as their tool. Raining drop pods, fast engines and a whole lot of guts.

I've fiddled around with this, using my chaos bikers and other proxy models to playtest this lil army, and it hurts. Pummeled my tyranids, orks and iron warriors without breaking a sweat, and is a calling. Now to decide whitch of my 3 DiY ideas to pick. Maybe I do them all, grr. :)

If they're very new and have the mobile form of warfare that you describe, you might want to dispense with the use of Dreadnoughts and Terminators entirely.

That would seem to fit the profile of a young, highly mobile force far better than making single exceptions based on how they make it to the battlefield.

The dreads are Heavy support for a reason, to be dropped in via drop pod, fast enough to catch the enemy as the fast ground forces engage. Hammer and Anvil type of combat. They wont be using termies, the basic troops choice costs so much as is.

They're a space born chapter, crusaders. They handle things much like the Alpha legion did when they were first created, albeit not as self destructive, but just as tenatious.

They prefer a bike over a lascannon, and a meltagun over a plasma gun. The typical get close and blow them up style. I suppose their names would be one of the following:

Arc Volt Destroyers, Night Stalkers, Venom Casters, any of these names or a combination of two of them I'm still considering.

Night fight rules would have little effect against my tactics with this army. And the army plays out the positive energy from the ground, negative energy from the sky to meet in the middle for lightening - (Fast ground forces meeting with drop pod reinforcments). Venom Casters, albeit a snake style since they enjoy fast strikes, then hunting the enemy down after the venom takes in.

They pickup their forces more with their thunderhawk gunships more then sending troops down with them, they unload a few tanks, then reload troops and dreadnoughts to be taken back for when they're to be re-dropped via drop pod. They move too quickly to enjoy the numbers of imperial guardsmen or any other assistance for that matter. They operate too damn quickly even for a regular SM army!

Tell me what you think of it all and any suggestions are welcome. I dont like playing with assassins or inquisitors anyways. Don't like them or the tactics whitch they are used.

Symbol will be entirely upon whitch name they will be donned.

Hmmm, interesting, you have made an interesting start to your DIY chapter. However, there are a few factors that you should be aware of:

Firstly, your army would be legal- that's fine. However, from a fluff point of view, which is what I assume you are aiming for, it would be a bit odd. Dreadnoughts are extremely old and venerated and new chapters may not get a dreadnought suit for hundreds of years, let alone several suits. This means that either you ditch the dreads because your chapter is too young or make the chapter older and then give them a reason for having so many suits of dreadnought armour. Perhaps they have links to the adeptus mechanicus who have constructed some test dreadnoughts using some old technology that they found in the vaults on mars and your chapter is testing them out.

Secondly, a good base of tactical marines will make any army and you have that. However, for a rapid strike force, perhaps jump packs would be preferable to bikes. I can't imagine dropping a bike out of low orbit would be any good for the suspension. From your post though, I get the impression that you really want to include bikes in the army. Perhaps instead of drop pods then you have rhino mounted troops and say that the whole army is deployed by drop ship, which then returns and scoops them all up when the carnage has been done. Again though, that makes dreads seem a bit slow for the army....

What you have to come up with is a viable reason for your army to have dreadnoughts, bikes and drop pod troops and why all hree of these elements would be fighting together in such a manner. Drop army would work but then no bikes. Rapid strike force would work but you would have to change from pods to rhinos and dreads would not be able to keep up (little legs B) )

Hmmm, a dilema- see, one of the hardest parts about making a DIY chapter is getting the balance right. I know I haven't yet because I am re-writing it again (fourth time lucky :tu: ) See what you can come up with and post it back in this thread. I hope I have managed to help out a bit.

:tu:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may run into a problem.

If you have the Flesh over Steel drawback, each Transport you take uses up a Fast Attack slot. Using a standard Force Organization Chart, you will only be able to have 3 Drop Pods. If that's all you need, you're fine. But if you were envisioning more, you may need to rethink your major drawback.

Thanks, I dont have my codex with me and that was from memory, thought I'd just deduct the money from my bro. I'll be getting a new one.

Thanks for the corrections, I'll have to rethink the dreadnoughts.

Isn't Aspire to glory another major drawback? The one where dreads and termies are limited? That'll be the major drawback. (Cant remember all the names, grrr)

Traits:

Be swift as the wind

Trust in your battle brothers

Drawbacks:

Aspire to glory (?)

We stand alone

K, so its rethought, a simple unit of marines dropped from orbit to assist the ground forces as needed. The fast and sneaky units all take up their positions, then when the pods are comming the strike is thrown. Whwen the battle is over the Fast Attack/Bikes/Scouts will seek another location to spring on another target while the slow forces consolodate while thunderhawk gunships drop vehicle assets. Rhinos, Support Tanks and the like will reinforce their new position and become a fall back post for any retreating scouts that have spotted an enemy. They make the advance with some vehicular support, and gauging on the strength of the enemy they drop enough to combat the threat. Once the threat is neutrilised they will consolodate and re-advance. This will continue until they have found a significant threat that requires the entire chapter or until they have advanced far enough that the entire chapter has fallen upon enemy soil through orbit.

They dont have the terminator armour and dreadnoughts but have surplus in drop pods for supplies purposes.

Hope this makes the cut, still the anvil and hammer approach using drop pods.

It proves to be very effective, and since it isnt as close combat oriented with fewer dreads I'll have to be a bit more cunning with limited firepower.

I might as well post the list, note they enjoy land speeders with lotsa shots to make up for the points munch by drop pods.

9 Land Speeders with Heavy Bolters, Assault Cannons.

Vindicator, Annihilator, Whirlwind

30 Marines, 3 drop pods, 3 Razorbacks. (They will take casualties before recieving a ground transport = Razorback)

30 Scouts with sniper rifles and missile launchers

Chaplain, Librarian, Hero - all on bikes

1 Dreadnought

25 Bikes, each full unit with meltaguns and heavy bolter attack bike, powerfist or powerwep sergeant.

I figure in missions where I am attacker I will notify my opponent my list and options before asking him if I can use drop pods, along side bikes. If not I will use a bike swarm and support them with all the land speeders and transport razorbacks limited to choices/points.

Defender if I am allowed drop pods I will not use any bikes, this suggesting they are out looking for an enemy, or failed an attack and the advance upon the defending position.

Again any thoughts, suggestions and constructive critisizm is welcome.

(Thanks for reading) :tu:

Archived