The Sarmatian Knights

kmac07

Hello,

I have been lurking around this forum for a long time, so I thought it was about time that I posted my ideas... I have been trying to nail down an idea for a sweet DIY chapter since 3rd ed, I have lots of models and things just waiting to use, but no ideas. then, i rented King Arthur and watched it, and ideas just jumped into my head. a chapter based on the Knights of the Round Table! or, theSarmatian Knights of the movie, so not quite the exact knights of legend...

but enough of that. the basic fluff...

during the time of the latest founding (the 26th i think, i also need to know about how much time there was between the latest founding and the EoT.) a member of the ecclesia informed one of the high lords of a vision he had had. in this vision, he saw the founding of a chapter of marines on a small, unexplored planet near the Eye. He saw that these men would be thrown out on the front lines and fight valiantly for the glory of the emperor, during the campaign.

so, the lord sends out some marines of the ultramarines chapter, to train the new marines, as well as whoever makes marines marines.

upon arrival, the ultra's found a highly organized yet feudal society. they had not yet discovered gunpoweder, but they were highly competant fighters. upon more exploration, they came upon a castle where they met the Sarmatian Knights, who initially put up a decent fight, as the marines didn't want to harm their potential allies. however, after one knight managed to behead an ultra, a quick volley put an end to any resistance...

there were roughly 50 knights who survived, and they were inspected by the Imperium's doctors (or whoever makes marines), and they were found to be amazingly resilient. having been fighting for centuries, they had evolved to where they healed at an exceptional rate and had very strong, hardy bodies. their first test subject managed to survive the implants, even though he was much older than the average age. meanwhile, the ultra's began instructing the others in the ways of the imperium. when the test subject survived, their leaders decided to accept the ultra's and become marines, though there were only 50 of them.

They were trained in combat, though they already had very strong hand to hand skills. even after much persuation by the ultra's, the Knights would not accept the use of the stange ranged weapons, instead preferring hand to hand. they also proved to be very good infiltrators, having much practice from their years of combat.

When the 13th crusade broke loose on the galaxy, the visions of the ecclesia were not forgotten, and the Sarmatian Knights were deployed to Bar'El in the Agrapinaa sector where they fought fiercely, holding even the hand to hand experts of the World Eaters at bay. they took very light casualties while delivering death to their enemies wherever they met them. in the end, 38 survived and they roam around the eye today, fighting whatever challenges them...

wow, that got long... and i have even more in my head... wow...

but anyway, obviously, very themed army, not really meant to game much, as my 1000pt list has 38 models all on foot, every single one with cc kit...

i plan on heavily converting all the models to make them look like knights, especially the commander, obviously arthur, and the vet srgts (all with tons of wargear, making the army nearly unplayable, 90 pt vet srgts..) Lancelot, Gawain, Dagonet (not one of the legendary knights, but in the movie) and Tristan.

Here are the traits i was thinking of, a significant divergence, as they don't trust ranged weapons:

Advantages:

Take the Fight to Them (obviously, their knights...)

See but don't be seen (makes the army almost playable, and taken from the scene at the end where the knights appear out of the fog, kill a saxon, disappear again...)

Disadvantages:

Flesh over steel (no vehicles, no heavy weapons, fits perfectly)

Die Standing (they don't trust bolters, do you think they would drop out of the sky in a drop pod?)

well, i congradulate you if you made it all the way through this... it got longer than i anticipated. anyway, tell me what you think, what doesn't fit etc. i don't have anything set in stone yet, but i think i have finally settled on an idea for my DIY. i'm even thinking of starting a blog here so everyone can see my progress (and to keep me motivated...)

thank you

Keep in mind that Sarmatians are a barbarian tribe that favors cavalry. So I see this chapter as having lots of bikes and speeders with a tendency to charge headlong without thought of the consequences. Perhaps the Black Templars would be a better choice for a parent chapter.

It's an interesting idea, and could be quite good if done properly.

Also maybe having the geneseed of Ultramarines would be perfect. Since they were supposidly to be Roman Chapter of Space Marines.

I never realy cared for that movie, sorta cheesy. It was losely based off the storey and the supposide possibility of him being in the 5th century. Give me the old movie excalibur or monty python either or will do. I found the movie to be less like the old storeys of Knightly romantacism and more action and barbaric riders more or less.

i thought about all those things, but i couldn't think of a good way to fit in the cavalry other than bikes, which would be a bit costly at the 1000pts i have planned. so i will fit the bikes/cavalry at 1500. i also thought about using the templar codex, but i don't know the rules well enough and i just happened to have bought the new marine codex when it came out, so i based it on that, for now. As it is more of a modeling/painting army for me, I can probably make it fit into the BT codex when it comes out without too much trouble, if the rules fit better.

and yes, i agree, it wasn't a great movie, but it was great inspiration, though i must say one thing, Tristan is frickin sweet.

Some simple advice to help you avoid the worst of the fluff objections folks are going to arrange:

The name - change the name, 'real life' names just never feel right in 40K. Even if all you do is muck the letters in a word around a little and end up with something like the Knights of Marsar/Sarmait/Smarinata it's better than having folks start thinking 'real life' when they see your DIY's name.

there were roughly 50 knights who survived, and they were inspected by the Imperium's doctors (or whoever makes marines), and they were found to be amazingly resilient. having been fighting for centuries, they had evolved to where they healed at an exceptional rate and had very strong, hardy bodies. their first test subject managed to survive the implants, even though he was much older than the average age. meanwhile, the ultra's began instructing the others in the ways of the imperium. when the test subject survived, their leaders decided to accept the ultra's and become marines, though there were only 50 of them.
Just doesn't happen, sorry, but not since the days of the Great Crusade has anyone other than a 'youth' been accepted and successfully implanted with geneseed. Why not do what the Romans did? Swipe the best and the brightest of the Sarmatian's sons! That way you're tied closely to your theme, Sarmatians, and to the fluff. There's no reason the young can't be skilled warriors too and bear the knowledge of warfare passed down through the generations...

I'd also review the recruitment of these guys, it's unlikely the UM would recruit them into the UM Chapter as they're not from Ultramar, it's more likely that the High Lords would decide that this culture was ripe for use as SM recruits and send the UM there to further assess them. Once the assessment had been made your 'Sarmatians' would be used to found a new Chapter, not just 50 Marines...

Those would be the two big points I'd look at if I were you, other than that some cool ideas that you could really work up into something special :lol:

i'm even thinking of starting a blog here so everyone can see my progress (and to keep me motivated...)

I'd note that the blog function can only be authorised by an Admin and that it is intended for community projects (things like the Badab War Project) rather than for individual use. If you intend to 'blog' within a thread in Liber I'd check with the Liber Mods that that's OK before starting anything :P

It was losely based off the storey and the supposide possibility of him being in the 5th century.

Might be more than a 'supposed possibility' there Ritter, there's some fairly serious and convincing research out there that points towards a King Artor/Artur ('The Bear') in 5th Century Britain actually existing and many of the stories about him bear considerable resemblance to the basics of the Arthurian myths that existed before Chretienne romanticised them into the tales we find familiar today...

Thanks for the advice, Cricketers, I'm not sure that I will change the name, because I kind of like it, but I definately like the idea of taking the youth, as that was IMO the weakest part of my background. So that will change...

About the Ultra's, I didn't mean that the Ultra's were recruiting them, just that they were sent, like you said, to assess them and possibly train them a little... I don't know that I got that point across very well. And, I wanted them to have Ultra geneseed, or atleast from a chapter that got theirs from the Ultras... I will also have them create a full chapter, as I just kinda threw in the 50 guys right at the end and it didn't seem to fit right.

Also, I fought for chaos in the EoT, and I remember we were highly organized (each legion attacking a different sector), but I can't remember who it was that hit Argrapinaa, so if anyone knows, please enlighten me. Also, does anyone know roughly how much time there was in between the 26th founding and the 13th Crusade?

Now, to nail down a color scheme...

edit: which major drawback do you think fits better, Flesh over Steel or Aspire to Glory? I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm not taking any tanks or termies, but what do you guys think?

Might be more than a 'supposed possibility' there Ritter, there's some fairly serious and convincing research out there that points towards a King Artor/Artur ('The Bear') in 5th Century Britain actually existing and many of the stories about him bear considerable resemblance to the basics of the Arthurian myths that existed before Chretienne  romanticised them into the tales we find familiar today...

I think I was misunderstood. I could go into length on this subject but I'll make it short. I don't believe king arthur existed or was just one man. I think it was a culmanation of men of history all wrapped into a romantic storey of medieval life should be and what not. After all the storey was heavy written by a man who added to the arhturian legend with his own style far beyond the 5th century. It would be prety hard to get a accurate reading of arthur since he would of probably been more myth then history. I won't denie the fact that he could of been lousely based of the arthurian man in the 5th century.

Not to mention i think the guy who did that movie did a piss poor job of doing his research on the 5th century. I find it hard to believe that large of a battle occured and the style of the armor just seemed out of place. Not to mention the representation of the Knights was just wrong.

...and the fact there are no mountains like that in Britain, the battle of Badon Hill was almost a hundred years later (512 AD), and they had the Saxons sailing from the area around Denmark, up to Northumbria (in WINTER), and then had them march South to Hadrian's Wall. Plus they had the wrong tribe of celts for that area of Britain (or so I'm told by a Roman History student friend of mine), and more than a few weapons and armour anachronisms. Actually, I don't think there were even any Sarmatians posted in Britain.

[/pedantic rant]

I like the idea of the Sarmatian Knights, but I think SCC has a point, RL names generally don't work very well. Possibly just a slight change: Sarmatine Knights?

As for the date things, well the sticky post gives the date of the 26th Founding as 738.M41, so you have about 250 years or so before the 13th Black Crusade begins

Thanks for the help, Brother Srgt. I looked at the sticky, but I didn't know the date of the EoT, so it didn't help me too much at the time.

And, being a latin student and all, and because nobody seems to like real life names :D , I have decided to change the name to Equitis Sarmatiae, which is simply The Sarmatian Knights, in latin.

thanks for the feedback

Edit: Legio Equitorum Sarmatiarum (the legion of sarmatian knights) sounds much better than Equitis Sarmatiae, so that it shall become.

Archived