Brainlocked on details for DIY chapter

Fyrrus

Rather than continue to stare at my WIPs, trying to iron out the details in my mind; I'm going to try and tap the vast resources available here on the B&C.

What I have so far:

Name: Tentatively Draconis Oceanus (Sea or Ocean Dragons). I'm imagining a recently created chapter, with recruits pulled from an ocean planet.

Anyone come across an ocean world in any of the fluff? Fenris has a lot of water, but that's all I've found so far, and I've read most of the BL books (though I've only perused a handfull of WDs).

Color scheme: Primarily a dark bluish turquoise (1:1 Hawk Turqouise/Shadow Grey blend. Similar to the Sons of the Storm chapter created by Shawn Hendrix at GW Northridge -see WD 305-, but a bit more grey), left knee pad (or greave) and shoulder pad are white. Troops/Sgts have a red trim (sarge has a white helmet). Vets have a gold trim. Company commanders have a gold trim and (probably) a gold helmet. The primary colors remind me of the Pacific near where I grew up in the NW US.

Suggestions for a chapter badge? Personally, I like the idea of a gaelic dragon (I figure the homeworld will be pretty low tech, and populated with gaelic-ish tribes), but the idea of a kraken just seems to be a bit too obvious. Ideas?

As a new chapter, I chose the "Aspire to Glory" drawback. This worked out well as I pictured an ocean bred commando force (Trust Your Battle Brothers; and See, But Don't Be Seen as traits).

As a new chapter, another chapter would probably be sent to help the new blood on their way. But what chapter has the same traits? I can't find any. Have I missed something? Failing a perfect match, what would you suggest as a close second? I've asked this question in a (mostly) unrelated thread, and the Raptors were suggested. Seems pretty good, but seems to be missing...something. Help?

And of course, I'd value just about any other comments you might want to toss in (background, storylines, what have you). While I can't promise to use them, I'm sure someone will suggest something that will get me out of this creative rut.

Thanks in advance!

As for the name, I'd go with the english Ocean Dragons as opposed to the latin (High Gothic) - virtually none of GW's chapters use latin in their names.

Try here for an excellent planet resource.

For colors, you might find yellow to be a better accent color, even if it doesn't bring ocean waves to mind. For the badge, take a look at Insignium Astartes or the SM painting book. There are dragon logos there that you might modify and/or just change colors (they might prove to be good sources of geneseed too :ph34r: ).

...and as always take a good look at the Ultimate DIY Thread for additional subjects to ponder.

Thanks for the reply. I actually discovered that planet link a hour or two after posting. Tallasar seems to be a likely canidate for a homeworld, unless someone knows one better. Maybe I'll just make my own (anyone know the gaelic word for ocean off hand?).

As for the accent color...yeah...looking at my test models, the gold works pretty well, but the red leaves much to be desired. I'm probably going to dabble around with some blues or greens. Maybe a straight shadow grey? I'm trying not to think too much about highlighting at this point...ugh. I mean, I prefer playing to painting, but my guys need to at least look respectable on the table top. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Point taken on the name. Sea Dragons it is!

I was flipping through the HT Paint SMs book this morning, and the black and star dragons are giving me something to go off of, but I'm holding out for something a bit more unique.

Again, many thanks for the advise.

As a new chapter, another chapter would probably be sent to help the new blood on their way. But what chapter has the same traits?

Does it matter? Why does it have to be an "official" Chapter?

Here is the chance to explain your DIY by using a another DIY chapter. Make up another name. This has the benefit of not conflicting with "official" fluff. Although I do understand the concept: using "official" GW fluff validates your creativity.

OR use a Chapter GW has shown us but has no info on (i.e. Star Dragons)

OR there are plenty of DIYs floating around the B&C with similar traits - PM the creator and ask if it's cool to use their Chapter in your fluff (kinda extreme and applicable if you want to make your story public)

:P

Thanks for the reply. I actually discovered that planet link a hour or two after posting. Tallasar seems to be a likely canidate for a homeworld, unless someone knows one better. Maybe I'll just make my own (anyone know the gaelic word for ocean off hand?).

Well, I think its something like mor or muir, but I'm not 100% sure of that. "Wave" is definitely fuinn though, if that helps.

The concept is a good one, and one that I toyed with before creating the KoK. I can't give you a hand witha mentor chapter thoough

Archived