The Intrepid Alchemists

I finally got around to typing this up so I could post it here. This is the first draft & I expect/want you all to find faults in the fluff & then I can affix the certain aspects.

This was typed up on my new computer, so typos will be common due to new keyboard & it does not have a good word processing program, so I have used Wordpad with no spellchecker. Sorry.

Chapter Name: Intrepid Alchemists

Geneseed: Imperial Fists. They are the direct successors of the Intrepid Fists, and all geneseed & a high percentage of the combat veterans were taken from them.

Founding: 24th?( They were founded in the 38th millenium founding)

Chapter Symbol

Colour Scheme

Based: As the name intrepid would suggest, the chapter is one of exploration & is entirley fleet based. The fleet tends to operate just outside the Ocularis Terribus, exploring the surrounding systems for signs of chaos & anomalies. They are the first line of defense when a nearby planet of the imperium is invaded, & at times are ordered to engage chaos fleets before they can get to strategic points. In times of need, portions of the fleet can be sent to nearby by planets, such as Armageddon & Mordian, & the 5th company has been know to travel as far as Tarris Ultra to assist against the incoming hive fleets. The Inquisition has made sure that the Intrepid Alchemist encounter as many Xenos as possible, ensuring they gain enough experience so that one day, in a future founding, successors of the Intrepid Alchemists can be created. This is in the hope that this new skill can be spread across the galaxy as a new weapon for the imperium.

Combat Doctrine: The Intrepid Alchemists are basically one huge bodyguard to protect the few precious marine librarians that have mastered the ancient skill of alchemy. The main rule of this skill is that you cannot gain anything without sacrifice, you must present something of equal value to gain something, ergo the priciple of equivalent trade. An alchemist's skill are similar to that of a librarian. Their armour is covered with various patterns that are infact, Transmutation Circles. These circles are what connect an alchemist to the warp & they can call upon the various Transmutation Circles at will to manipulate their environment to devastating consequences. For example, an alchemist armed only with a small flame could adjust the concentration of the oxygen in the air to create huge explosions (Storm of the Emperor's Wrath), or manipulate the ground beneath his feet to transform around his opponents, giving him more time to strike (Veil of Time), or even take away the ground completely, leaving a huge casm beneath them (Vortex of Doom). Alchemists also rarely carry weapons as they can simply transmute part of their armour into a weapon specifically designed to take down the enemy (Force Weapon), or transmute a makeshift firearm (equivalent to whatever gun they are carrying), & after the combat, quite simply turn it back. Alchemists can also easily fix broken components, therefore, The Intrepid Alchemists have one of the best maintained forces in the imperium, as any destroyed vehicle, weapon, set of power armour, can be instantaneously repaired back to full working order after battle. It is however encouraged that the marines maintain their own weapons & vehicles & that calling upon an alchemist to fix them should be seen as a last resort. Because of this, the Intrepid Alchemists long ago ceased to use tech-marines(Still used in game terms, however referred to as alchemists). However, there is one thing an alchemist cannot ever transmute, marines. This is the most forbidden taboo for an alchemist as everyone who has tried, was either killed, or transmuted beyond recognission & the subject or the transmutation ceases to be human, & becomes a mere list of components.

Just before battle, the Alchemists will venture through the force, transmuting various things to give them an advantage against the enemy. Devastators will have their shells transmuted, vehicles their armour reinforced in a specific way ect.

(In game terms, all Librarians & Techmarines are Alchemists & will be identified before battle & any weapons & psychic powers will be made clear. Alchemists(Librarians) will use alchemy to the same effect as psychic powers. Alchemists(Techmarines) will not be modelled like normal techmarines, but rather librarians, & they will be treated like they have gained the ability to use alchemy to fix vehicles.)

Organisation: Significant divergence.

Advantages: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Suffer Not The Work of Heretics.

Disadvantages: Eye To Eye, We Stand Alone.

All comments are welcome & appreciated.

Thanks, Chrisius.

Advantages: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Suffer Not The Work of Heretics.

Disadvantages: Eye To Eye, We Stand Alone.

Well, apart from the obvious silliness of basing a space marine chapter on japanese pop-culture (...) the only question I can think of right now is: why do you have TYBB and 'Eye to eye'?

'Suffer not' is presumably because the alchemists transform ammunition to more optimized forms before the battle and 'We stand alone' might be because no one want to fight with such a deviant force, or because they want to keep secrets from others.

'Eye to eye' doesn't make much sense though since the alchemists should be able to easily maintain land speeders and bikes, especially compared to other chapters. If it's a disadvantage you've chosen because you're forced to because if TYBB (who is also unexplained) then maybe you should drop them both. :rolleyes:

Why does the fact they have true grit have to be fluff explained? They're just really good at using their bolters due to lots of practice, like the Space Wolves.

I chose eye to eye, because it basically affords me another advantage without effecting my style of play.

Why does the fact they have true grit have to be fluff explained? They're just really good at using their bolters due to lots of practice, like the Space Wolves.

I chose eye to eye, because it basically affords me another advantage without effecting my style of play.

Tubal is one of the players who likes traits chosen for fluff reasons over tabletop, like myself. It doesnt take much to justify TYBB, but having it mentioned in your fluff will really oost your chapters TT-Fluff link. Taking the drawback because is it the least of the drawbacks is a little, in search for a better word, lame. I know most people do it, and it doesnt bother me, but where you can I would suggest taking the fluffiest option over the most advantagorous.

Ferrata

Tubal is one of the players who likes traits chosen for fluff reasons over tabletop, like myself.
Exactly. I have that trait myself actually so it's not the trait itself I mind. I just wonder: Why are your marines better than other marines with bolters?

Since you actually bother with fluff at all it wouldn't be too hard to write a few lines extra. :P

Taking the drawback because is it the least of the drawbacks is a little, in search for a better word, lame.

I didn't say I took it because it is the least of the drawbacks, I said I took it because it doesn't effect my style of play. I have played Space Wolves for a few years &, as any Space Wolf player does, learnt how to wage war with few/no Land Speeders. This is also part of why I chose TYBB.

I believe that, when creating an army, it should always suit you the general first and foremost. If you don't like an army, you shouldn't be using it as battles can become frustrating & you can lose your love for the game.

I will come up with some fluff to explain these traits, I don't think my first attempts are quite good enough. Some suggestions wouldn't go amiss.

I will come up with some fluff to explain these traits, I don't think my first attempts are quite good enough. Some suggestions wouldn't go amiss.
Well, since there haven't been any other complaints I'd say it's pretty solid :P

I have to say that that is very thinly-veiled "Full Metal Alchemist". I have seen one episode and it was obvious. Not that that is a bad thing, just be prepared to be a bit put off with your new chapter when the novelty of the show wears off of you.

Other than that it looks ok, but I would change the name to something that more says "deadly servants of the emperor" than "AM search force".

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon, SD

Archived