On Making Banners?

Normally inspiration comes from their home planet (i.e creatures) and the other is heroic acts. I.e the Ultra's have a nid on one of theirs after they "won" at maccrage. Also they have one of a bionic hand in memory of their deceased famous captain IIRC :devil:

Say a new Chapter is starting out. Where do they get the inspiration for their banners?

Also, which banners would have special stuff, and which would have mainly the Chapter's Symbol?

Please help with any info concerning making banners. **

Starting out the chapter would have some very generic banners that would follow the parent chapters view of the Codex Astartes. As they partake in battles, those engagements that take on an epic scale or have a particularyly noteworthy event can be memorialized by creating a special banner depicting that event. Like in the manner of the Ultramarines. These special banners would be held by the Standard Bearers to represent a Company or Battle Force. The Chapter Symbol would be present on all banners.

My two coppers

Belial out.

Say a new Chapter is starting out. Where do they get the inspiration for their banners?

Also, which banners would have special stuff, and which would have mainly the Chapter's Symbol?

Please help with any info concerning making banners. **

Starting out the chapter would have some very generic banners that would follow the parent chapters view of the Codex Astartes. As they partake in battles, those engagements that take on an epic scale or have a particularyly noteworthy event can be memorialized by creating a special banner depicting that event. Like in the manner of the Ultramarines. These special banners would be held by the Standard Bearers to represent a Company or Battle Force. The Chapter Symbol would be present on all banners.

My two coppers

Belial out.

So a basic banner. Would they have the Parent Chapter/Legion's Banner, Their Own Generic Banner of the Chapter Color and Symbol, or a combo of their Banner Symbol and the Banner of the Parent Chapter?

So a basic banner. Would they have the Parent Chapter/Legion's Banner, Their Own Generic Banner of the Chapter Color and Symbol, or a combo of their Banner Symbol and the Banner of the Parent Chapter?

Not knowing which Parent Chapter/Legion you plan on using is keeping me a little more general than I like. If your avatar is any indication then you'll want to stick to the Codex Astartes. Off the top of my head, you'll probably want to look at the Ultramatines Reserve Company Banners. They are simple and lacking lustre. The only differences will be the color and the company symbol. The rest would look identical from company to company. Until they create a symbolic standard.

Now to confuse you, as a new chapter they can deviate completely and generate their own company banners.

Example

Animagus Marines - Brown Armour w/ Yellow - Symbol an upturned hand with claws

Eagle Company - 1st - Brown Banner with White Eagle with a yellow box in the upper left containing the Chapter Symbol

Dog Company - 2nd - Brown Banner with Red Dog with a yellow box in the upper left containing the Chapter Symbol

Bear Company - 3rd - Brown Banner with Yellow Bear with a yellow box in the upper left containing the Chapter Symbol

Simple and yet it conveys the Chapter and Company on one banner. Eventually the Animagus Marines's Dog Company fights the Ork's and they get a new banner.

Brown Banner with Red Border and in the middle is a Dog bearing the Yellow Chapter Symbol biting the neck of an Ork.

Did this help any? Otherwise I'll have to do some research and get back to you when I get off work.

Belial Out.

So do they feature the Parent Chapter's Symbol, such as the Fist or Omega, or do they replace it with their own.

Example:

Imperial Fists: Yellow BackGround, with a Fist in the middle.

Would the New Chapter Use its own color with a fist in the corner and the main symbol in the centre, or would they totally replace the fist with their own symbol?

The CF chaptermaster that they made for the current USWD has a back banner with the Imperial Fist on it as well as the Crimson Fist, but I don't really like that idea. A military unit's heraldry should be unique to that unit, not a copy of their 'progenator' unit's.

IMO, go for a fairly plain banner with your chapter's heraldry on it. When you have a spectacular event, make a new banner. Ideally, your banner will be just attached to the crossbar, so that you can exchange them as you desire (my DA standards are put together that way).

So do they feature the Parent Chapter's Symbol, such as the Fist or Omega, or do they replace it with their own.

Example:

Imperial Fists: Yellow BackGround, with a Fist in the middle.

Would the New Chapter Use its own color with a fist in the corner and the main symbol in the centre, or would they totally replace the fist with their own symbol?

No, they should replace it with their own. I haven't seen any Marine Chapter banner that took after the British trend of putting the Union Jack in the corner of their colony's flag (New Zealand, Australia).

Belial Out.

Animus Orbitus, My Chief Librarian, has his own banner. Here is how I made /am making His Banner.:

WHFB Empire Flag/Banner, Mordheim Blade, and Mordheim Open/closed Book.

So Since His Sword is in the left side of the banner, the book in Lower Middle Right, His Name in Lower Right, and the Chapter Symbol in the Upper Right.

How is that?

Well, mine was kind of obvious considering that my army is based around a musketeer theme.

My Banner came out something like this.

The Bottom literally says "Legion of Accurate Soldier"

And the top two badges contain the Motto "Strengh and Accuracy"

I know it's pretty ugly, but it gets the job done.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/hactardac/coolbeans.jpg

Chapter name: The Trueshot Musketeers

Animus Orbitus, My Chief Librarian, has his own banner. Here is how I made /am making His Banner.:

WHFB Empire Flag/Banner, Mordheim Blade, and Mordheim Open/closed Book.

So Since His Sword is in the left side of the banner, the book in Lower Middle Right, His Name in Lower Right, and the Chapter Symbol in the Upper Right.

How is that?

Sounds Good.

If you want, you can put his name on some scroll work (Like the Land Raider's) and drap it over the design. Just a Suggestion, Good Work! :devil:

Belial out

To make the Sword seem Holy and Glowing, what color should I use on the banner? The Skull Hilt is Bleached Bone, The Actual Hilt is Gold, and the Blade Itself is Silver.

I was thinking Ice Blue for the Glow, since Gold seems cool, but might mix with the Hilt in the Design.

To make the Sword seem Holy and Glowing, what color should I use on the banner? The Skull Hilt is Bleached Bone, The Actual Hilt is Gold, and the Blade Itself is Silver.

I was thinking Ice Blue for the Glow,  since Gold seems cool, but might mix with the Hilt in the Design.

Another suggestion is a couple light coats of white paint on the edges and middle. If your painting skills are up to it then you can try a Non-Metallic Metal (NMM).

Another suggestion was to make the blade blaze with Red fade to yellow/white. I saw one in another thread.

Belial Out.

Archived