My first attempt at a Battle Report.

littlbitz

The other night, my friend came over and we had a 2000 point game on a 6x4 table.

The terrain looked like this: Wooded hill................ Hill...................Ruins

..........................................................................................Forest

.........................................................................Forest.......Hill

..............................................Ruins...................Forest.................Hill

We agreed to play a Beta level mission and rolled randomly for the actual mission, which was Take and Hold.

The Forces: My friends Red Skulls using Cleanse and Purify, Suffer not the Works of Heretics, Aspire to Glory, and We Stand Alone.

HQ:Master with Terminator Honors and Lightning Claws

Leading an 8 man Command Squad with 2 Melta-guns, Bp/CCW, and a Vet with a Powerfist. The Sqd has Furious Charge and is mounted in a Rhino transport with Smoke and Extra-Armor

Chaplain with Jump pack (leads ass sqd)

Troops: 7 man Tac with Las/Plas, Tank Hunters

7 man Tac With Las/Plas, Tank Hunters

10 man Tac with PC/PG

10 man Tac with 2x MG, Vet with Powerfist and Combi-MG mounted in a Drop Pod

Fast Attack: 2x Land Speeders 1 with HB and Ass Can the other with MM and Hvy flamer (seperate Squadrons)

8 man Ass Sqd. with MBs Vet has Powerfist

Heavy: 8(?)man Dev with LC, PC, and ML

Pred Ann. with HB side Sponsons

Vindicator

My Space Wolf army:

HQ: Wolf Lord (Thorgrimm) with Frost Weapon, Storm Shield, Frag, Runic Charm, Wolf Pelt, and a Wolf Tooth Necklace

Wolf Guard Battle Leader (Sven Odinson) , Frost Weapon, Bp, Bike, Runic Charm

Venerable Dread (Jon the Wolf-Father (AKA:"Big Daddy" though never to his face)) armed with Twin-LC

Troops: Blood Claws Pack, 8, 2 with Powerfists, one with Flamer, Frag led by Wgpl (Erik Sharpclaw) with Lightning Claws and a Wolf Tooth Necklace

Grey Hunter Pack, 8, 2 with Powerfist/bp, 1 with Mg, 2 with Pp, led by Wgpl (Brock) with Combi-Mg and a Lightning claw

Drop Pod Transport

Heavy: Longfangs Pack, 5, 2 with HB, 1 with LC, and 1 with ML/ Razorback transport with twin-linked LC

Land Raider with Smoke and Extra armor (for the BC pack and WL)

Elite: Wolf Scouts, 6, 2 with Power weapons, all have Mbs, led by Wgpl (Loki) armed with a Powerfist/bp and a Wolf Tooth Necklace

Fast Attack: Blood Claws bike Pack, 6, 2 with Powerfists, 1 Mg, led by Wgpl (Brendyl Foe-Hammer) with bike, Thunder Hammer/ Bp and a Wolf Tooth Necklace

Landspeeder with Multi-Melta and a Heavy Flamer

We Rolled to pick table sides, I won the roll off and chose the "bottom side (as shown above)" of the board.

His Deployment looked as follows: The 10 man Tac Sqd with PC/PG was in the wooded hill with the Vindicator, Chaplain and Assault Squad behind it, the 2 Tank Hunter Squads were on the hill in the center of his deployment zone with the Pred. behind it, in the ruins he placed his Dev Squad with his command squad mounted in thier rhino, and 2 land speeders behind the ruins. His 10 man Drop Pod Squad was obviously in Reserves.

My Deployment looked like this: I had my Longfangs dismounted behind the ruins with thier Razorback, along with my Ven Dread and Landraider with the Bloodclaws Pack and Wolf Lord. My Wolfguard Battle Leader and Landspeeder deployed behind the wood in the center of my deployment zone while my Bike Pack deployed behind the hill to my far right. My Scouts and Drop Pod GH were in reserve.

We rolled for first turn, with Big Daddy's help I won the roll off. With my forces well hidden and wanting last chance at the objective I gave him the honors of 1st turn.

1st Turn: Red Skulls Space Marines: The Vindicator lurched forward from its hiding place covering the avenue of approach onto the objective, the lead Tank Hunter squad on the hill moved forward towards the objective in the center of the board, one of the speeders zoomed over the ruins to right behind the objective while the Predator moved from behind the hill placing itself between the hill and the ruins on his left side. In an unexpected move his Chaplain and accompanying assault sqd. leapt over the hill directly towards the ruins in my deployment zone. His Command Squad still in its Rhino moved from behind the ruins to his left, around to behind the forest in front of the Ruins, afraid of my scouts the Dev squad moved forward from thier position as well, to in front of the same ruins.

My forces were well hidden and the only shot available was one pot shot with a LasCannon from the 2nd Tank Hunter squad at one of my bikers who left his arse hanging out from behind the hill, the shot missed...

1st Turn: Space Wolves: In a suprise move I mounted my Longfangs into thier Razorback and raced the transport to my right which ended up out of site of the 2 Tank hunter squads, my Land Raider with its cargo did likewise. Not trusting the nearby Landspeeder of the Red Skulls the Land Raider Popped Smoke. The Ven. Dread moved forward directly behind the Ruins in front of him, still out of site. My Landspeeder stayed put. My Bloodclaws Bikers Turbo-boosted from behind cover to my left, across my deployment zone to cover behind the Forest in the center of my deployment zone attempting to position themselves out of site, while waiting for the right moment to pounce on the objective. I had no shooting...

2nd Turn: Red Skulls Space Marines:A roll for reserves begins his turn with no drop pod showing up. Still with no clear lanes of fire, the Red Skull attempted to position themselves for some shots, while moving onto the objective.

His Chaplain and assault squad again bounded towards the ruins where now only my Ven Dread was located. The Vindicator again lurched forward, this time only 6 inches in an effort to take a shot at my Razorback or Landraider, while his Land Speeder came over the Forest to between the objective and the Forest in my Deployment zone with a clear line of site to my Land Raider. His Command Squad again moved towards the objective dismounting between the Forest in front of the Ruins and the nearby hill, while blocking the area between the two with his Rhino.

While his second land speeder moves to behind the center forest (the objective).

His Predator then moves forward towards the objective to cover the lane on his left.

In the Shooting phase, the Vindicator shot at my Razorback but scattered the full 6 inches (as he had to roll 2 dice and take the highest because he moved), the Landspeeder shot its assault cannon at the Landraider, but failed to even scratch the paint (even after one rending hit!), the Plasma Cannon squad also took shots at my Razorback but had no effect.

2nd Turn: I eagerly roll for reserves, nothing. Oh well, gotta play some more hide and seek. Realizing the position of his troops, sending my Bikes up the center toward his command is suicide, so I Turbo boost them back to behind my right side hill where they started though this time they take the Battle leader with them.

My Longfangs deploy from the Razorback and it the moves forward six inches to block the line of fire from the Vindicator and PC toting Tac Squad to the Fangs.

My Landspeeder flies over the forest between the 2 to put pressure on his predator. The Ven Dread moves through the ruins towards the Assault Squad (if he wants a fight I'll give him one!). My Land Raider out of line of site from the Lascannon Squads and Dev Squad stays put.

In the Shooting phase, My Razorback drops the speeder that shot at my Landraider, while the Landraider opens fire on the Vindicator destroying its big gun (whew), Shots from the Ven Dread drop a single assault marine.

The Venerable Dread charges forward and assaults the Assault Squad, crushing 3. They are fearless and hold making thier armor save for the additional wound for being outnumbered 2-1

3rd Turn: Red Skulls Space Marines: With a curse my buddy still has no Drop Pod show up. With the big gun on the Vindicator gone he moves it right up against the Forest in the Center for objective purposes, The Tank Hunter squad on the hill shifts to his right to position itself for a shot on the LandRaider and Razorback next turn. The other Tank Hunter unit moves into the objective, while the Dev Squad still with no targets available hoof it a full 6 inches toward the objective. The surviving Landspeeder shifts for a better shot at my Razorback.

In the shooting Phase the combined fire of the Landspeeder and the PC toting Tac sqd destroy the Razorback. In the assault phase my Ven Dread remains locked in combat with the assault sqd and Chappy with only one casualty to the squad, (grrr...)

3rd Turn: Space Wolves: I pick up my dice for reserves one red and one white for my Drop Pod and Scouts, I grin as I roll in anticipation... Damn! snake eyes!

I'm starting to worry a bit at this point a good portion of his army is on or very close to the objective, can't panic yet. I move my Land Raider around behind the forest in the center of my deployment zone, I need this ride intact and I'm running out of "safe" spots. I turbo boost my bikes up the right side from behind my hill to the right side of the Forest in front of the Ruins in his deployment zone. I move my land speeder to the right side of the objective and take a pot shot at the Pred ann which is waiting for me to poke my Landraider out and destroy its Lascannons.

In the assault phase I whiff, while his assault troops are ineffective.

4th Turn: Red Skulls: His drop pod comes in, oddly enough he places it in the ruins in my deployment zone in order to shoot at my long fangs, instead of the Flank where my Landraider with BC and Bikers are threatening.

Feeling the heat of my Bikers he shifts his command squad and Dev Sqd, he then moves his Pred into the land between the ruins and Forest to bear the brunt of the inevitable assault by my bikes.

In the shooting phase he guns down my Longfangs with the droppod squad and drops my landspeeder with combined fire from the rest of his army.

In the Assault phase I drop another marine.

4th Turn: Space Wolves: with crossed fingers both my scouts and my drop pod pack enter play. With a howl I move my scouts onto the board behind the Tank Hunters still on the hill. my pod drops into the area of the objective while my Land raider moves forward to support my newly arrived Grey Hunters. My bikers already committed move to assault the Predator.

My shooting is abysmal, my kitted out GH pack only kills 2 marines with all its combined fire. In the assault phase I immobilize the Predator, my scouts destroy the Tank hunter sqd, and my Dread kills yet another marine, a re-roll on the damage chart saves his ass this turn.

To be continued......

Wow! Great report! :) Just give us the rest... ;)

Your list looks good, glad to see more Space Wolf players appreciate Land Raiders... :lol:

Did he roll very good for his Drop Podding Squad versus your Long Fangs? They sure had a lot of melta, but still, you had five Long Fangs, no..?

Great job, keep it up! :)

Thanks for the great response!

Oh, and Yes, his Drop Pod Squad did very well against the fangs, killing 4 out of the five, with the last making his Morale test but then fleeing off the board on the next turn.

Anyways, on to the conclusion.

Turn 5: Red Skulls Space Marines: At this point the Red Skulls had some scrambling to do if they were going to pull this off. The Command Squad again shifted positions, this time towards my Bike squad which was beating on the Predator last turn. The Devastator Squad, and Remaining Tactical squad turned all guns on the Grey Hunter pack which had Dropped right into the objective.

The Tactical squad turned its weapons towards my Wolf Scouts, who after wiping out the Tank Hunter squad on the hill was left stuck out in the open. Finally his Drop pod squad that had just finished off my Long Fangs moved through the ruins to assist the assault squad and Chaplain that has been harrassing my Ven Dread the whole game.

His shooting was no less than amazing, the combined fire power of his Dev Sqd and Tactical squad killed all but 2 of my Grey Hunters, then to add insult to injury they failed thier morale check then fled what should have been 10 inches but was halved due to terrain, leaving them within 6 inches of the Tank Hunter squad which was also lodged in the objective area. His command squad opens up fire with his Melta-guns and boltpistols dropping 2 of my bikes.

In the assault phase his Tactical Squad assaults my Dreadnought to assist what is left of his Assault Squad and his Command squad assaults my Blood Claws Bikers Pack complete with Wolfguard battle leader more out of fear than anything else.

This turn my Venerable Dread runs out of luck as a well placed Melta-bomb from the chaplain finishes him off. The Red Skulls commander's assault into the bikers does not go as well. His commander only hits two bikers, then fails to wound against the toughness 5 (even with his Str. 5 on the charge), My Wolfguard battle leader kills 4 marines before they can even strike and my Wolfguard pack leader kills the Commander with his thunderhammer, I win the combat and without the leadership of the commander his command squad flees, I do not catch him but they are still within 6 inches of my Bikers so they will flee off the table and are no longer a threat.

Space Wolves: Turn 5: Now is the time, I finally rush my Land Raider forward from next to the Forest in my deployment zone halting right in front of the forest which is the objective, unloading my Blood Claws with the Wolf Lord, in the mean time the remaining bikers reorganize preparing to assault the Devastator Squad.

My shooting phase sees all my Blood Claws foot infantry and bikers alike releasing an impressive array of Fire power which while very loud and impressive, hits absolutely nothing...

Bah, I'll do this the old fashioned way. I assault the Tank Hunter Squad on the Objective with my Wolf Lord and Blood Claws killing them all without so much as a scratch. At the same instant the Bikers assault and wipe out the devastator Squad but are unfortunately left out in the open after a poor massacre result.

Red Skulls: Turn 6: Not much movement, and no time to get his remaining scoring unit (The Tactical squad with Plasma Cannon) onto the objective so they just stand and fire taking aim at my Bikers, and he successfully manages to bring them below half. Ending his turn with only his Vindicator Scoring for him on the Objective.

Space Wolves: Turn 6: I attempt to find a way to get my Land Raider in the Objective area but can't find a clear path without risking an immobilization, so I sigh and opt not to push my luck. I Move my Blood Claws on foot along with the Wolf Lord into charge range of the Vindicator.

The shooting phase is uneventful.

I charge with my Blood Claws and Wolf Lord, after 8 Powerfist attacks and 5 Frost Weapon attacks I only manage one Immobilized result, but that is enough I have prevented that unit from scoring for him in the objective area.

End of game, on strict kills I scored 101 more Victory Points, with the added bonus of having my Blood Claws in the Objective zone gave me a bonus 202, for a total of 303 points. A solid and hard fought victory for the Wolves.

I do hope you all enjoyed the read, and if so I look forward do doing more Battle Reports...

Thanks again guys!

Duregar, this is the first time I tried out this list. I tend to use One Land Raider in my lists most the time, but have just finished the Bike Pack and wanted to try them out.

The Wolf Lord has a Storm Shield right now because I thats what I have on the model, sometimes I sacrifice a little effectivness for coolness. (although I tend to get carried away with the cool factor with my Wolves)

I really enjoy the Tactical aspect of the list, it can be powerful, but it takes alot of manuevering and timing to make it work.

Next time I think I will try to upgrade the Landraider to a Crusader and beef up the BloodClaws to a larger pack for more staying power.

wow great read, and valuable too..seeing how you used your landraider in an intelligent fashion..how you had the tactical sense to hold your positions until the appropriate moment to surge forth..very nice. most wolves that I've seen have a tendancy to rely on the bum rush strategy; it was great to read a batrep of a wise tactician as I would claim you are from your performance :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Compliment Knoll.

I'm finding that the good ole' fashioned "bum rush" (while an excellent tactic in 3rd edition, perhaps to good) just doesn't work in the 4th edition.

Actually, I find that the 4th edition rules are going to force Space Wolf players to play games that are actually more in-line with what our Army is really designed to do.

In my opinion, that does mean "hunting with the cunning of the wolf pack". Using combined arms tactics, setting up the approach with appropriate supporting units, taking advantage of our superior short to mid-ranged fire power, then and only then punch them in the face with our excess of Powerfists

Now I'm no expert mind ya, in fact its quite often that my plan goes to <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>. But I would rather have a good plan fall appart than get my butt handed to me without a plan at all.

Archived