DIY Chapter questions

Ryno

First off, I'm not entirely sure where this SHOULD go, but this section was my best guess. Hopefully I was right :blush:

I've read over the ultimate guide to DIY chapters thread (Thanks RT :)) aswell as the discussion thread several times, and I've got a handle on the plausible things pretty well, but I had a couple ideas I'd just like to get your opinions on.

First off, would it be plausable to have my chapter based in a system not noted by GW, or would that just be stupid? I feel this lets me develop my chapter as I see fit, instead of basing everything off of worlds already 'invented.' Also, to create large battles within this system (not as big as Armageddon, but still very pivitol battles in which victory is very very important).

Also, I'd like them to have the face-to-face mentality of BT, but I'd like to take sergeants. Would that be plausable? I want them to excel in close combat and for the assault marines to have the deep strike ability like a BT army, but I just want sergeants in my tac squads.

Any ideas/comments on this stuff?

MAGGOT

irst off, would it be plausable to have my chapter based in a system not noted by GW, or would that just be stupid?
Of course you can! It's a biiig galaxy, and I doubt they've made enough worlds to cover it all. And, liek you said, it'll help define your chapter mroe easily.

Also, I'd like them to have the face-to-face mentality of BT, but I'd like to take sergeants. Would that be plausable? I want them to excel in close combat and for the assault marines to have the deep strike ability like a BT army, but I just want sergeants in my tac squads.

Um, I would say take Take The Fight To Them for bp/ccw's, and maybe the teriat for elite Assault marines (they can deepstrike if the mission allows either way). If you meant fallign forward and all that jazz, yuo'd have to do a BT army ruleset, without sergeants.Otherwise, those traits would work.

As it discusses a (potential) DIY chapter then this can go in Liber astartes.

+ Thwock +

Now, as FF mentioned, creating your own chapter gives you a lot of leeway for creativity, as long as you stay within certain common-sense boundaries and keep them recognisable as a marine chapter, which is what a lot of the 'Do's and Don't's were there for in the Chapter creation thread.

On the subject of homeworld, it would make more sense for your DIY to be based on a world not before mentioned by GW. In fact, saying they were based on a current GW named world like Cadia, Galathamor, or Throne Forbid, Terra is very bad idea and will get comments. :)

If you like the BT way of fighting, then the traits system in the codex is specifically designed for creating a nearly 'codex' chapter that can be tailored to your needs. Search your codex and you will be able to find the perfect set of traits to go with your chapter background.

We will be looking forward to seeing your chapter background here on Liber, so get writing. :blush:

Well, glad to see I can create my own systems then.. allows a complete history unto its own methinks. Would it be wrong to have my chapter battle alongside real first and second founding chapters on my new worlds? Just asking because their histories are pretty much setup already.

Also, .. I forgot my other question.. :tu:

Thanks for the help guys, I will be back with more questions. I'll prolly start writing up some history this week. I will also be doing background history for my chapter master in a log style, beginning from his selection for Adeptus Astartes training. I'll try to write it in a style similar to that of the rest of the 40K literature.

MAGGOT

If you have dealings with the first and second founding chapters, then keep it believable, and possibly brief. Perhaps that they have good relations with a chapter, especially the relationship with their parent chapter (which need not be a first founder :tu: ) but whatever you do, don't make out that your chapter has saved the Ultramarines homeworld four times, and given Abaddon a wedgie and blew up his ship during one of his black crusades.... P

Hehe, everything major that the chapter does will be pretty much secluded to my new system. Right now I am going to setup a system planetary map, showing planets, and what type of planet they are, plus a basic map of the homeworld - and site of the first major battle they take part in. Hopefully the whole thing will turn out well and be very professional, as well as entertaining.

I'm still struggling to come up with chapter name, badge, battle cry, and planetary names, but I have the basic background in my head.

I'm not entirely clear as to the division of the imperium-occupied glaxy though. Is it split into sectors? Should my system be in a particular sector? I read over the fluff parts of my rulebook (3rd ed) but I do not recall very much in there about it. Also, I will setup the chapter like a basic codex chapter, with traits, but is it apporpriate to re-name classes/levels/whatever? For instance, instead of companies, give them a different name. Instead of Chapter Master give the title another name.

Thanx again for all the help,

MAGGOT

Hehe, everything major that the chapter does will be pretty much secluded to my new system.

<snip>

I'm not entirely clear as to the division of the imperium-occupied glaxy though. Is it split into sectors? Should my system be in a particular sector?

Since Space Marines tend to be very active in the affairs of the Imperium, I'd slighly caution you about making them too reclusive. Remember, chapters were created to fight anywhere they're needed - and there tends to be a lot of need :tu:!

As for the "universe," it's divided into Segmentum and Sectors. You can take a look here for the galaxy map, and here for a listing of "fluff" planets...

I'll try to work them in to some other battles in some way, but I don't want them to have too big a presence in stuff laid out by GW. Thanks for the links, but the second link doesn't work (for me anyways.. :( ) The basic reasoning for my chapter's creation is to protect a new system, aswell as several surrounding systems, although they are frequently called into duty elsewhere. However, the biggest battles my chapter will fight (well, the battles they have the most manpower invested in I guess) will take place in this new system. Simply for ease of fluff creation :) And it helps dictate the need of them in said systems. What is the name of the sector Earth and Armageddon are in? I didn't see a label for that in the first link you provided.

Thanks again guys,

MAGGOT

[EDIT] I'm blind, Earth and Armageddon are in the Segmentum Solar. :wacko:

It's pretty much laid out in the fluff that a good chunk of the galaxy is undocumented and/or unexplored. It's perfectly reasonable for you to invent your own system.

Also, along similar lines, there's no reason to believe that the battle history of the Imperium is anywhere near complete. While it may cover the most important battles within the "big picture", it almost certainly does not include the countless lesser battles, campaigns, and crusades that go on continuously. I mean, let's not forget the game's motto: "In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war." So, pick any spot of the galaxy, at almost any time, and there's probably some kind of conflict either going on, getting ready to happen, or getting cleaned up after.

In other words, I don't see that it's necessary to confine your Chapter to its home system just to avoid entangling it in GW's official battle-history. Much like inventing your home system, there should be no problem inventing your own battles and campaigns, located virtually anywhere you like (as long as it makes sense relative to your Chapter's homeworld). If you don't tie them into GW's battles, then you've accomplished your goal. In fact, when GW's major historical events are going on, sucking away the attention of major SM chapters, you can almost bet that there are smaller, lesser known chapters picking up the slack somewhere else, fighting the unsung battles that still need to be fought, despite the unavailability of the "Chapters of Legend".

So, be creative. It truely IS a big galaxy out there. Put in whatever systems and battles you need. At least, that's how I see it. Just don't contradict anything GW has written, or make anything that sounds really implausible, and you should be fine.

Archived