The Scots are coming!

terror bunny

I've seen a few posts here about creating a Scottish themed army and being an extreme scots nationalist myself i have often thought about starting a project such as this myself.

My first reaction was to look for a colour scheme and name for such a chapter, but seeing as this approach has not really worked for me so far i decided to gather some bits together and assemble a few marines with blu-tac in a "dry run".

I had a spare box of blood claws and a an assault squad laying aroun so i used the bits from these units to build my first guys.

Having seen the "Kilted Marines" thread i thought doing the same thing wasnt for me, (i not very good with GS) and i reckon that using SW bits here and there plus some "skillful" painting should be enough to make these guys look the part.

I have thought about how to display Tartan on the marines also, i think this could be done by painting it on the knee pad, turning purity seals into "Tartan seals" or using the parchment wraps you find in the terminator and commander box sets.

i have other ideas but these can wait - now onto the name and colour scheme.

My first attempt at naming this chapter is - Sons of the Saltire (saltire is the scots flag) what do you guys think?

If you have any suggestions for chapter names i'll be glad to hear them.

I have no idea about the colour scheme as yet. :cuss

cheers

TB - (not the lung disease)

I think ur off to a pretty goos start. I think the name is good and should give people an idea about what ur army might be like.

Colour scheme wise i cant help u there. But i do think that using some space wolf bits could help to bring out a more 'feral' side of the army.

I kno u said that u arent to good with green stuff but maybe using it to sculpt small things onto the model, (personally im stuck) but just things that will bring out the theme of your army more.

Let us kno when uve got a painted mini as i'd love to see how this turns out.

++ Eagle out ++

Well, I think it goes without saying that I'm in favour of your ideas! :cuss

As side note, I'm quite clumsy with GS myself, but making the kilts like TheDeinonychus and I did is actually a hell of a lot easier then you might think, especially after doing it on the nth Marine. I would encourage you to give it a try on a spare model, if you have GS around.

As for your proposed ideas thus far, I like. Sons of the Saltire as name works for me, especially if you use the flag a great deal in your iconography. Refresh my memory, though, is the Saltire the St Andrew's Cross or the Scots Lion? I can never remember.

For your colour scheme, using the colours of the flag would seem effective... Perhaps a light blue base with a white St Andrew's Cross over the chest? If you want something a little less...brazen...perhaps browns and dark, earthy colours? I don't think I've seen more than one or two brown Space Marines...ever.

Keep up the good work.

Aye, a see what you mean about doing "some" GS work what i ment in my last post was that i would prefer not to do alot of GS sculpting - making kilts for example.

I had a thought of naming the chapter after the "Lion Rampant" somthing like the Storm Lions or something but then i decided not to go down that route and stay away from the Fixed animal theme.

using some SW bits would relate well, IMO to this chapter as a feral minded scots chapter would have things like animal furs and animalistic symbols on there armour.

I found the perfect combat shield for my assault marines - the small shields you get in the termie box will make an excellent "Targ".

Aswell as this the fluff ideas are coming to me in abundance, I'm working already on a short story - The Lone Piper.

Hmm although im scottish, its history its not my cup off tea (I should have been born a greek, bah so kinda like the opposite from Herodotus - Barbarian wanting to have a classical heritage :lol: rather than philobarberous)

Do you have a historical period which your going for or just trying to encompass it all?

I think a skirmishing themed force for a scots army would be pretty fitting (striking from the highlands then legging it away again). Or perhaps use traits to limit your vehicles and take infiltration and/or furious charge to similate the highland charge.

As for colours I would perhaps avoid bright colours and go for dark colours (almost like camoflague, Dark greens?)

Other things to think about aside from historical stuff would be.

Is the chapter old or young?

Fleet based?

Who is its main enemy?

Geneseed?

As for names. I would ponder it a bit longer. Sons of yadda yadda are always apporiate but perhaps look at some Gaelic words or even some clan mottos for some ideas ^_^

Just some ideas

Ever played Battletech?

There used to be this unit, in Battletech fiction, that was called the Northwind Highlanders, and another one known as the Black Watch.

On the Battlemechs belonging to these units, tartans were painted onto the upper legs of the mech, if I recall correctly. You could do the same on marines, and paint the upper legs in tartan colours and patterns.

I suppose i'm trying to capture the essence of scots mentaility during the wars of independance - The Wallace and the Bruce look and feel, they will be a feral chapter - homeworld based the terrain and climate very similar to "Auld" scotland.

Furious Charge is a must ^_^

I'm thinking that they could be White Scars Successors, although i'm thinking of using Space Wolves rules.

Orks ^_^ :lol: are the main enemy and i'm thinking of making the chapter quite old 5th - 7th founding?

Gaelic names? Siol nan Gaidheal?

I'm not sure about a Gaelic name, i think the Imperium would force a name in Imperial Gothic upon them.

I've seen a few posts here about creating a Scottish themed army and being an extreme scots nationalist myself i have often thought about starting a project such as this myself.

From the B&C rules:

Things that DON'T belong are:

A)Threads/posts dealing with politics, nationalism, religion, moral/ethical debates. Please note that we request you refrain from making statements on the above topics in your signatures as well.

Thankfully there is not much sign of it at the moment other than in the opening sentence, but if this gets too 'Nationalistic' then the thread is going to get closed.

I would turn away from having lots of scotish flags (St Andrew's flag), it could come of as a little tackie.

Crimson Claymores

Claymore Guard

Highland Templars *

Highland Storm/ers

First one sounds cheesy, the last one seems a little weak. The middle 2 are ok. How about "Brotherhood of the Claymore". I think you should go for an bp + ccw & furious charged army. Maybe a murky colour scheme (browns/greens).

Ferrata

The Knights Templar have a history with scotland which is why am leaning towards the Highland Templars as a name, but there are quite a few "Templar" armies around and i dont to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon with this one.

Brotherhood of the Claymore seems a good choice, but again i've been thinking about having this chapter indentified with a specific "theme" i.e and animal, weapon etc. i dont think this is where i want to go.

As for colours why browns and greens?

As for colours why browns and greens?

I was thinking of the ambushing scot, making raids into england. So dark colours for camo. Maybe dark reds & blues would look good.

Ferrata

You could work with some Templar influence in the scots however their numbers and influence where very small in scotland and mainly been romanticised by the Masons however it could add a nice edge to a force. Hmmm now that would be cool - A small band of scottish knights (perhaps like a royal guard) accompanying the band of kilted madmen ;)

I suggest trying out a few schemes on the GW paint program to get some clogs ticking ;) .

Black always goes well with red but perhaps a little common, how about purple? - as in a black with a purple tint ;)

well its been said that Robert the Bruce had a personal bodyguard of Templars at the Battle of Bannockburn......

I've been trying out some paint schemes and i think green with black helms, shoulder pads and back pack looks cool....

Ok, the colours will be either -

Dark Green OR Light brown body - with black helm, shoulder pads and backpack.

good or bad?

I have come up with my first special unit - the Deer Stalkers - these will be veteran marines who perform scout duties (similar to SW wolf scouts) only i'm thinking of kitting them out with Ghillie suits and sniper rifles.

Glad you got away from the Sons of Saltire idea. The Scottish flag is not THE saltire, it's A slatire. The term comes from heraldry and vexillology (the study of flags) and simply denotes the x pattern crossing the field.

Interesting choice of colors. Could you post a pic from the painter of what you're thinking?

The second scheme there, all the way, except for a couple suggestions I'm about to make.

Make the torso and backpack exhausts the same colour as on the upper legs, it'll reduce the number of colours used and make the scheme a little bolder and more unified. The helmet and shoulderpad interiors could be changed to the same brown as on the arms and lower legs, or left black. Either would work for me. Change the gauntlets to the brown on the knee- and elbow-pads. Also, the bolter clips should be metal, not green or brown. It just looks a little...odd...

Have you thought about a chapter badge yet? When we were playing around with the colours for the Sons of Dagda, I experimented with having the St Andrew's Cross on the left shoulderpad, and it might look okay on your scheme, too. It is quite bright and, perhaps, clashing with the more earthy browns and greens, but it makes for a very striking and identifiable badge...

As for a chapter name, why not look to heroes or notable individuals either from Scots or even Gaelic history and legend. If you have a specific clan in mind, I think you mentioned the Gordon, why not look for inspiration there? Name the chapter after traditional lands or great victories (or defeats, perhaps). Failing that, I like 'Brotherhood of the Claymore' and 'Hightland Templars', myself.

The bolter clips are metallic, that's tin bitz. I'll let terror bunny decide what to do b4 I bother changing the schemes. He's welcome to try what you like though.

TB, if you want to try your original Scottish flag idea, it might not look so bad!

gallery_18392_344_14453.jpg

Cheers for the effort guys, i really like the camo schemes - the first scheme is my prefered simply because it has the camo look but also has the "chapter" look, while the second camo scheme look more like "campaign" colours.

The scots flag colours are a bit bold for my liking, plus it has red in the scheme - which makes me think "Union Jack".

In other words i prefer the first one. ;)

the colours i have to work with at the moment in terms of camo are - DA Green, Snot Green, Vermin Brown, Black.

Nice idea about the army, I do think however the idea would be to keep it low key, I agree with what people are saying about the darker colout schemes, perhaps it would be best to restrict Saltires/Lion rampent stuff to banners and personal heraldry.

I myself have a marine army which in essence are scottish warriors, although mine are a DA succesor chapter, they do however make use of extensive assault marine/SW parts to make them look the biz.

I would suggest using only "hints" at the origin of the army through the use of character names homeworld etc, I Saltire heraldry does look pretty cool sticking out on the battle field, just 40k it with some skulls etc.

As for a chapter name why not try something like Sons of Caledon, or the Cameronians (good Scottish regiment that.) Also try a latin motto, such as In Arduis Fidelis. If I spelled that right it shoudl translate to "Faithfull in adversity". Celer et Audax is another one but you cant have that one cause tis mine.

I found a good idea that works for me is black and green with gold.

My marines have snot green Greaves, knees shoulder pad trim, gauntlets, chest eagles, bolters and face plates on the helmets. the rest is black with the details picked out in silver or gold. (sorry no pics due to lack of digi cam)

Just remember you dont want your army to look to far out other wise you will find the ordo hereticus knocking at your door.

Also thought of modelling some cans of Tennants lager to the bases but decided it probably wasent a good idea.

;)

Archived