Our yearly pilgrimage takes place once again! Today marks fifteen years since the Castigators' inception. Over the past year Games Workshop have detailed the psychic awakening, the emergence of the Great Rift and the Indomitus Crusade. It's an interesting thought exercise to consider how to detail a Chapter before and after the emergence of the Primaris, without bulking out the venerable Index Astartes structure. This is especially the case because I think that the return of Guilliman and the Primaris would greatly change the Castigators. 

When 999.M41 was the end of the timeline I had conceptualised the idea that the Castigators would be stretched thin, fighting many different wars to maintain some semblance of peace. The Eldar and Orks were emboldened and causing problems, there were cult uprisings across the Dalthus sector and the warp was growing more and more unstable, making travel difficult. None of the Castigators' allies were responding to petitions for aid and they were dying a death of a thousand cuts. Earlier editions of the 40k rulebook and timeline seemed to suggest that some Imperial worlds were effectively taken over by the Space Marines to direct the defense, effectively like Ultramar. Forced inward, things seem grim. 

The Dalthus Sector and the Howling Stars have been a shared narrative with other hobbyists and so I didn't want to destroy it out-of-hand, or to condemn it to an existence in the Imperium Nihilus. I've recently read Spears of the Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and it has done a good job of illustrating quite how desperate things are in the Dark Imperium. However, it did also show the Calgarian Rites - crossing the Rubicon Primaris and how difficult it is (despite every named character of the Ultramarines doing it without problem!) I do wonder if a Chapter with such a heavy focus on genetic purity might lead to most - if not all - of the Castigators volunteering to undergo the conversion to Primaris. I just have issues with Primaris Marines giving up their former weaponry, wargear and equipment; that's something I find difficult. 

The imagery of the Torchbearer fleets led by the Custodes bursting through warp space and bearing news of the returned Guilliman seems fantastic for the Castigators - not least because I think he and his representatives would be displeased with the Castigators and how they have diverged from the Ultramarines. I think that new Primaris reinforcements would bring psychic Librarians to the Chapter - and the idea that psykers have been approved by their living Primarch. The Devastation of Baal books and Guilliman's appearance within makes me think that the unnecessary suffering of the Losancan people might be something that is criticised - so perhaps the Castigators might take a stronger hand in supporting and securing their homeworld's populace. 

I'm keen to scour the new literature with the Indomitus boxed set to see what the new state of the galaxy holds for this venerable Chapter! 

Oh man, the venerable Commissar returns! Great to read your IA again. Inspires me to further refine mine. I too (im)patiently await any new writings about 40K’s New Normal. It’s a good proposition: needing a new structure to complement the Index Astartes format for those chapters predating the Ultima Founding. I felt I had it easy creating my DIY Chapter as a primaris chapter to begin with. Can’t wait to see what you do :)

I do wonder if a Chapter with such a heavy focus on genetic purity might lead to most - if not all - of the Castigators volunteering to undergo the conversion to Primaris. I just have issues with Primaris Marines giving up their former weaponry, wargear and equipment; that's something I find difficult. 

I know what you mean, it seems bone headed to simply leave behind your own personal gear, especially if all that needs to change for example is say, the pistol grip, trigger guard and trigger itself to support a bigger hand in it's use, with the same deal for some melee weapons.

I can only hope the new codex will include a unit template for 'reborn veterans' or what have you and basically have Primaris Sternguard, built from those that have crossed the Rubicon, which would also solve some fluff issues.

The only way I can justify it is being a 'rebirth' of sorts, that they leave their old life and legend behind to forge a new one, as a new Marine. The only other way I can see it working is to have the mortality rate being so high among the first volunteers that it leads perhaps to a ban on the procedure, and the only survivors becoming the squad leaders and lieutenants of their new Primaris reinforcements, to smooth assimilation of the new marines to their parent chapters culture and doctrine. Which in turn could also lead to some interesting tension between the older veterans and the newer Primaris, especially the psykers. 

• 1 year later...

A little bit of a necro but your Chapter is so loved around here I don't think anyone will really mind.

Your chapter badge of the arm and whip, is clearly very obviously referring to whipping their own backs.

Now usually the chapter badge is moved to the right shoulder as part of the Death Watch.

Would Castigators of the Death Watch have a different shoulder pad to continue to whip their own backs, or would they now be whipping in front of them?

I hope that makes sense

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some updated artwork for the Castigators. Been meaning to post these. Enjoy everyone!

gallery_4536_12470_17708.png

Castigators armorial (updated)

gallery_4536_12470_347522.png

Castigators Battle-Brother of the 5th Company ("Shield Bearers"), 4th Battleline Squad.

gallery_4536_12470_31675.png

Castigators Tactical Marine; 3rd Tactical Squadron, 4th Company ("Blades of Thorns"), wearing Mk VI 'Corvus' pattern power armour. Note: Oaths of moment & Purity Seals.

gallery_4536_12470_334964.png

Castigators Tactical Marine of the 2nd Company ("Firebrands"), 6th Tactical Squad wearing relic Mk V 'Heresy' pattern power armour.

gallery_4536_12470_109980.png

A Castigators Deathwatch Veteran of the 4th Company ("Blades of Thorns").

gallery_4536_12470_253719.png

A Castigators Sergeant of the 4th Company recently returned from his Long Vigil with the Deathwatch. Veterans who serve with this Chamber Militant of the Ordo Xenos are singled out by their continued use of the left pauldron and arm encased in the silver livery of the Deathwatch, which helps make them easily indentifiable for their skills at eradicating xenos.

Edited by Algrim Whitefang

And here's some more...

gallery_4536_12470_100848.png

Castigators Veteran Terminator Brother of the Honoured 1st Company ("Scourges of Barathus"). Note: Personal scourge iconography displayed on power fist, and Raptor Imperialis honour on livery shield.

gallery_4536_12470_116015.png

A Castigators Veteran Marine of the elite 1st Company wearing archaic Mk IV 'Maximus' Power Armour Note: Decorative filigree displayed on right vambrace (forearm) and personal heraldry on right greave.

gallery_4536_12470_418038.png

A Castigators Veteran Marine of the elite 1st Company in modified Mk III 'Iron' Pattern Power Armour, with Mk VII Helm and backpack Note: Personal heraldry on lower right greave.

gallery_4536_12470_272063.png

First Chaplain Karakalla, of the Castigators Honoured 1st Company.

gallery_4536_12470_136890.png

Castigators Apothecary of the Honoured 1st Company Note: Personal heraldry on right greave.

gallery_4536_12470_196419.png

Castigators Techmarine (updated).

Another one I thought you all might enjoy. Here's an updated Chapter Banner I did for the Castigators.

gallery_4536_12470_558665.png

Castigators Chapter Banner

Another one I thought you all might enjoy. Here's an updated Chapter Banner I did for the Castigators.

I advise making the whip a lighter color- maybe blood-red, with blood drops flying from the whip- so it'll stand out against the black background. This is otherwise excellent work.

Here's another one I..'whipped' up:

gallery_4536_12470_509458.png

Castigators Veteran Sergeant Jonas of the 6th Company ("Purehearts"), 1st Battleline Squad (Squad Jonas). Note: Wielding his Chapter's signature weapon, a deadly Power Whip and artificer-wrought bolt pistol.

Here's another one I..'whipped' up:

gallery_4536_12470_169347.png

Castigators Veteran Sergeant Jonas of the 6th Company ("Purehearts"), 1st Battleline Squad (Squad Jonas). Note: Wielding his Chapter's signature weapon, a deadly Power Whip and artificer-wrought bolt pistol.

nice, but they way he points with his finger don't fit with the way the whip is moving. And it don't look like he is holding the handel but that it is glued on his hands, maybe change the hand?