Imperial Fist Successor

Had this thread a little while ago looking for something opposite of Blood Angels (my current chapter, kinda). I settled on imperial fists for my choice mainly on their colour scheme, really liked the idea at first but the longer I stuck with it the longer it wasnt as appealing to me. So now I am considering an imp fist successor.

They perform a similar specialty to the imp fists, that of siege except a little different. Instead of just besieging a place they sneak in (see but dont be seen) and end the siege. Perhaps while they where a fledgling chapter they would often assist their parent chapter in breaking a stronghold or something of that nature. They have some of their own siege equipment (preds, vindis, whirlys, etc......no dreads, too young of a chapter) to occupy the enemy while their troops sneak in and often make use of teleporting termiantors combined with their infiltrating troops. (Fluff wise how can I explain a fairly high # of terminators in a newish chapter? on loan from the imp fists? I dunno) They are not as stubborn as their parent chapter but have had covert op missions screwed up by allies and other "helping" forces too often so refuse to work with anyone (we stand alone).

Their homeworld is located near (less than a weeks warp trevel?) from the imp fists homeworld of Terra (does that break any fluff trends?) and is a temperate world containg oceans, forests, jungles, deserts, most types of conditions (think Earth in 2005) so they can train to fight anywhere.

To quote plisken:

It might be nice to go DIY and do a Chapter that is absolutely the polar opposite (of Blood Angels). They don't live as long as normal marines, the get darker and uglier as they age and aren't artisistic at all... they disdain close combat and prefer to keep their feet on the ground.

This chapter dislikes h2h combat, dont live nearly as long as normal marines due to the constant risk while infiltrating enemy positions, are often disfigured and covered in scars from previous missions, are level headed and can keep perfectly quiet and calm even when other marines would crack and start shooting, and care nothing for the asthetic apperance of their equipment so long as it works like its supposed to (dirt, mud, and dust covered with paint chips).......really quite the opposite of blood angels!

For colours it will be a muddy mustard colour using commando khaki (for weapons?) and the darkest GW yellow whos name is beyond me at the moment. Many/most of the marines will be converted to be crouching, prone, or in a stalking slow walk position and will all (at least the infiltrators) have ghillie suits. Their chapter icon/logo/symbol is the standard imp fist of the black fist on white background with black circle (because then I have transfers and dont have to free hand them all!) but because the symbol being on the shoulders would give them away too much it is on the outside of their right greave so it can be more easily concealed. (Does that break any set down fluff?). With any squad/company markings on the outside of their left greave.

Anything anyone can add is appreciated! Anything at all (so long as its constructive)

Well, welcome to the Liber.

One idea that might be good is to make use of Burrowing... there was a thread on PC+A with huge Drop-Pods that were represented by large drill-fronted transports. One way of getting through the fortifications would be to burrow underneath them.

A large number of terminator suits could be rather difficult to explain in a new chapter. The obvious answers would be some close relationship or contract with the Adeptus Mechanicus. Perhaps the AdMech owes your chapter a favour?

I remember the tunnelers from a little while back but I really dont like that. I am going more for the modern military feel (modern meaning 2005, not 40 000 :devil: ), so the tunneller may work for strictly 40k but I'm not going for the super gothic feel.

I cant believe I never thought anything about the adeptus mechanicus! That idea can work for me, thanks.

Okay, well if the tunnelers aren't your cup of tea, that's quite alright. Your chapter, after all.

With regards to the "AdMech owing them a favour", it could either be something to do with your chapter saving a forgeworld. or reclaiming a forgeworld that had fallen to chaos, or perhaps recovering a portion of an STC?

If you're going for a more militaristic than gothic feel, you might wish to look at the Raptors - perhaps your chapter has some rivalry or comraderie with them?

Also, if you're Sons of Dorn, remember to hate the Iron Warriors! :devil:

I've heard much about the raptors recently but have never heard of them back in 2nd or early 3rd edition. Where is a good source for their fluff?

Also I am still awaiting my index astartes 2 so dont know all that much about imp fists at the moment other than what is in general 40k fluff (not chapter specific) and what I ran into in the BA fluff.

The only real official GW fluff is here, in the Armageddon3 Raptors Article.

The big hoo-hah about the Raptors is now because Forgeworld's adopted them for the Taros Campaign.

And if you have any specific questions about the Imperial Fists I'm sure people would be glad to help you.

If stealthy commando-style marines is what you're interested in I recommend the Death Spectres. Their colour scheme is the one above the Black Templars on the insignium astartes poster.

You might also be interested in the Raptors, Executioners, Red Scorpions or Covert X, which are also on the website I've linked to.

Note that these are only guides based on official fluff. They're not official or anything.

P.S. If you choose Death Spectres, don't forget that they're all albinos when you paint them.

Archived