chapter traits for my mortifactors

SonOfKyuss

I'm still nut sure which chapter traits I should use for my mortifactors.

My first idea was to take 'take the fight to them' and 'no mercy, no respite' as advantages and 'eye to eye' as drawback, to represent the barbaric nature of the chapter. Another suggestion I got from the GW-forums was to take 'trust your battle-brothers' instead of 'take the fight...', combined with 'we stand alone' as second drawback. So what do you think about this? Which of those traits would you use to represent the chapter's background properly? Or would you suggest something completely different?

(I'm sorry for any mistakes made, English is not my first language you know)

I've already made a guide for the mortifactors here.

According to the most reliable source for 40K information: ironhands.com, the mortifactors were founded in M40, so they must have Aspire To Glory. The explanation's all in the link.

P.S. Your English written skills are superb.

I dont really kno the Mortificators background but i'd probably take 'Take the fight...' and 'No mercy, No Respite'

the mortifactors were founded in M40, so they must have Aspire To Glory.

Now im not an expert but just because they were founded in M.40 doesnt mean that the HAVE to take Aspire to Glory... i think it just fits in more with the fluff of a young chapter if they do....

++ Eagle Out ++

P.S. Your English written skills are superb.

My teacher would be so proud of me... :P

OK, Aspire To Glory would make sense to me, even though I wouldn't have assault termis. But what I don't get is why I should take Blessed Be the Warriors. I don't plan to use Land Speeders or bikes, so I have enough free fast attack slots. But Uphold The Honour would be nice...

OK, Aspire To Glory would make sense to me, even though I wouldn't have assault termis. But what I don't get is why I should take Blessed Be the Warriors. I don't plan to use Land Speeders or bikes, so I have enough free fast attack slots. But Uphold The Honour would be nice...

The Mortifactors are from a death cult, which is very close combaty if death cult assassins are anything to go by. They also fight on a night world, so long ranged units would be avoided. Out of all of the close combat traits, Blessed Be The Warriors is the best because it allows you to take veteran assault squads even though you have Aspire To Glory. So you can bypass the worst of the Aspire To Glory effects by having 30 assault marines with furious charge as your elites choices, plus 30 more assault marines (without furious charge) for your fast attack slots if you want. Then throw in the 60 tactical marines with bolt pistol and close combat weapon and you've got one hell of an army! :P

All of which can deep strike if you give the tactical squads drop pods...

The Mortifactors are from a death cult, which is very close combaty if death cult assassins are anything to go by. They also fight on a night world, so long ranged units would be avoided. Out of all of the close combat traits, Blessed Be The Warriors is the best because it allows you to take veteran assault squads even though you have Aspire To Glory. So you can bypass the worst of the Aspire To Glory effects by having 30 assault marines with furious charge as your elites choices, plus 30 more assault marines (without furious charge) for your fast attack slots if you want. Then throw in the 60 tactical marines with bolt pistol and close combat weapon and you've got one hell of an army!
The fierce nomadic tribes that inhabit this bleak world are locked in a state of constant warfare, fighting terrible battles and feasting on the flesh of the dead. A bloodthirsty caste of warrior monks rule the tribes and preach a culture of death worship. The monks of Posul teach that an enemy's strength can be harvested by the taking of his skull and eating of his flesh.

- The Mortifactors are not particularly from a death cult in the same way as the Assassins from either the Daemonhunters or Witch-hunters codices. They seem to have more of a mortuary cult. They have an obsession with the dead, but this needn't transfer into head-on combat. Then again, with the Mortifactors' insistence on taking the skulls of their enemies and feasting on their flesh, combat would seem to be an ideal.

- Posul is a night world, but that doesn't mean that the Mortifactors would be without ranged units entirely. Don't forget that Marines can see in the dark as if it were day, and their helmets have autosenses.

- The Mortifactors are not particularly from a death cult in the same way as the Assassins from either the Daemonhunters or Witch-hunters codices. They seem to have more of a mortuary cult. They have an obsession with the dead, but this needn't transfer into head-on combat. Then again, with the Mortifactors' insistence on taking the skulls of their enemies and feasting on their flesh, combat would seem to be an ideal.
Well they're very similar. They both worship by killing. It's really the whole decapitating thing that indicates that they prefer close combat. I recommend sticking some trophy racks (mail order the chaos terminator ones and convert them accordingly) on the back of veterans and leaders to symbolise the heads of particularly powerful opponents. It would help you tell the difference between the veteran assault marines and the normal assault marines.

- Posul is a night world, but that doesn't mean that the Mortifactors would be without ranged units entirely. Don't forget that Marines can see in the dark as if it were day, and their helmets have autosenses.

Yeah but the tribesmen aren't space marines, so they can't see very well. They become space marines after leaving their home world, but their character (in terms of the whole cutting-their-heads-off thing) remains pretty much the same.

Yeah but the tribesmen aren't space marines, so they can't see very well. They become space marines after leaving their home world, but their character (in terms of the whole cutting-their-heads-off thing) remains pretty much the same.

Take space wolves as an example. Before becoming marines most of them will never even know what a bolter is. Yet wolves still have greyslayers, longfangs and tanks.

The planet will influence the marines to a degree, but their training will probably influence them more. A mans life as a marine will probably be at least 30 times his life as a normal human, allowing a lot of time for his character to change.

Well the tribes of fenris are probably aware of ranged warfare, with longbows etc. Must be pretty vital given the large predators they encounter.

My point is that they all have the same sort of mindset. They are accustomed to a certain way of life. True, training changes people, but they have no reason to change their opinions on how to kill people and how to live or what they believe in. In fact, if all of your marines are experienced in chopping people up in close combat, it makes sense to make good use of that skill.

30 assault marines and 60 marines with close combat weapons are certainly not the army I had in mind. In your guide you said that you don't want to have clone black templars. This way you have a clone raven guard. I do plan to use plenty of assault marines, but concidering the points, in most games I don't think you will be able to field more than two squads with the right size and equipment.

I think we all agree on the point that a mortifactors army has to be close combat oriented, then why should you choose Aspire To Glory and not be able to field assault terminators?

then why should you choose Aspire To Glory and not be able to field assault terminators?
Codexmaker's theory is that if a chapter is young, it should take "Aspire to Glory" because the description says

A recently founded chapter may take centuries to aqwuire such equipment

How I see it, if you see the Mortifactors using Assualt Termies, then dont take Aspire to Glory, even if they were formed yesterday. Look at what the trait allows you to do with the army over GW description, because that can be changed to what you want.

Ferrata

30 assault marines and 60 marines with close combat weapons are certainly not the army I had in mind. In your guide you said that you don't want to have clone black templars. This way you have a clone raven guard. I do plan to use plenty of assault marines, but concidering the points, in most games I don't think you will be able to field more than two squads with the right size and equipment.

I think we all agree on the point that a mortifactors army has to be close combat oriented, then why should you choose Aspire To Glory and not be able to field assault terminators?

I know I often come across as if I think I'm always right, for which I apologise. I'm not always right, but I've been treated that way for so long when it comes to 40k that it's warped my attitude. :lol:

I know that when choosing the big disadvantage, most people avoid Aspire To Glory because they love Elites choices (and which army doesn't apart from kroot mercs?) and instead opt for a reduction in speed or firepower in the form of Eye To Eye or Flesh Over Steel, but if you take Aspire To Glory and then a trait that adds another elites choice to the army, you've taken most of the sting out of the big disadvantage.

Raven Guard use stealth and lots of assault marines. An army using the traits I recommend uses tactical marines armed for close combat and lots of assault marines, allowing the marines the rare option of swamping the opponent in close combat troops. (This is as far as I remember, it's been quite a few months since I've been allowed to look at my codex.)

Being founded in M40 strongly suggests that they would have Aspire To Glory, but as others have pointed out, maybe they've had good contacts with the ad mech and found plenty of relics during the centuries since its foundation. Eye To Eye would be my second choice, as most of the fast attack choices you'll be using will be assault squads, thus allowing you to still drop pod the opponent on mass whenever you want. ;)

P.S. the traits I've suggested allow you to take 60 assault marines and 60 tac marines with bolt pistol and chainsword.

In my opinion, the Mortifactors dont fit into the Furious Charge slot. They seem to morbid and intrested in death to rush into battle. Like the LotD who have a slow and steady advance upon the enemy, I think this fits the Mortifactors more. This goes with Assault Terminators, which have a more slow and purposeful feel to them, which rules out Aspire to Glory. As GW have never released any traits for them, you can take what you feel right for them.

Ferrata

OK, how about this?

The Mortifactors don't fit into the furious charge slot?

Well, the fluff clearly sais that the monks of Posul teach that 'an enemy's strength can be harvested by the taking of his skull and eating of his flesh.' To me this sounds almost as if they where followers of Khorne, so imho by giving the chapter close combat weapons by choosing T.T.F.T.T, their way of thinking and fighting is represented best.

Also the Mortifactors see the Emperor as the true 'Ultimate Warrior, a divine being who embodies the pinnacle of fighting prowess'. So what would fit this belief better than to improve the chapters fighting skills even further by giving them furious charge? 'Death in battle is the ideal of every warrior' So the Mortifactors are imho not that much interested in death in general but to die on the battlefield - regarding this they appear to me as some kind of hardcore 40k-Klingons and won't hesitate to run into the enemy.

drawback: Eye To Eye

The only reason for me to choose this one and not Aspire To Glory is that I want to field assault terminators. With death in battle being their ideal, I don't think that many Mortifactors would live long enough to become Veterans. But for the few who do, a terminator armour and a pair of lightning claws is the equipment of choice.

As for Dreadnoughts, I do not believe they fit the chapter's background at all - a true Mortifactor would rather die and sit at the table of the Ultimate Warrior than being reanimated and stuffed into such a machine.

Everyone satisfied?

(Sorry for making two posts, but I always get an error if I try to post longer texts :lol: )

Found a snippet that might be of interest...

According to the most reliable source for 40K information: ironhands.com, the mortifactors were founded in M40, so they must have Aspire To Glory. The explanation's all in the link.

Yet again, I'm afraid ironhands.com is far from the most reliable source for 40K information... The Mortifactors were most definitely NOT founded in M40. The IA: NL has a boxout on the culling of Grendel's World (an event which occured in 843.M34 - six thousand years before M40) which makes mention of scouts from the Mortifactors chapter investigating the slaughter wreaked by the Night Lords...

I like the the traits you have gone for Kyuss, i think they portray the chapter well from exsisting fluff. I may adopt them for my own force.

I also thought that the M40 founding date was a bit strange, although i admit i didnt know when they were founded - i still thought they were older.

cheers RT. :lol:

BTW kyuss - do you have any pics of your guys?

I like the the traits you have gone for Kyuss, i think they portray the chapter well from exsisting fluff. I may adopt them for my own force.

BTW kyuss - do you have any pics of your guys?

Thx, looks like I'm not the only one with a soft spot in his heart for the cannibals from Posul :D Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet. I just started this whole project just a couple of weeks ago, so a Tactical Squad (with bolters actually), some Scouts and my Commander are the only thing I've painted so far. But they look pretty neat though and I will post some pictures when I have finished some more stuff.

cool, i have actually only painted my first test mini a couple of days ago - i'm working on a Veteran Sgt just now and i will likely finish my first Tac Squad this weekend.

I have a the following units ready to paint ;-

Various converted Characters - (chaplian, libby and captain)

Terminator Squad - (5 man)

X2 Tactical Squads - (6 man each, 1 squad geared for CC)

X2 Assault Squads - (5 man each)

Devastator squad - (5 man)

Scout Squad - (8 man)

Dreadnaught - (various weapon configs.)

Predator Destructor - (Auto cannon - H/bolter sponsons.)

So that should keep me busy :D

Archived