The Fourth founding.

Det Gr

What do we know about the fourth founding, exactly? I'm in the midst of a fluff project involving the Marines Malevolent, and need to find out as much as I can about this founding for my work.

Any information you can provide, is greatly appreciated!

I doubt there is very much about it. I think only generally the Dark founding, Cursed founding and second foundings are known, the rest are a mystery.

What do you mean anyway? Are you wanting a time period or reason for the founding?

I would guesstimate that the 4th founding took place not that long after the 3rd. The 3rd took place on the first day of M32, so your probably looking around the 300's.

Most chapters are founded because somewhere needs more men.

Ferrata

I placed the 4th founding (keep in mind that is only in my fevered mind and is not official in any way) as the first day of 001M33, thinking that it might have followed in the tradition of the third founding, and may have been a celebration of sorts of humanity's continued existance in the face of chaos.

It sounded good to me at least :lol:

While your theory sounds fine on its own, you need to place it in context with other founding dates. The 21st Founding is the next one we have a date for, M36. By your theory this should only be the 7th Founding, so your missing around 14 foundings. My way was taking the years between known founding dates and dividing them by the number of foundinds needed to be placed. While this might not give you the right dates, it gives you a good area to start from.

Ferrata

The Fiery Lions are of the 7th founding. I placed this in the year 501.M31, because according to my logic, the first foundings were very very close to eachother. Reasoning behind this is that after the 2nd founding, there (still) was an enormous shortage of marines to cover the entire Imperium (they just lost over half their Marine force!). Therefore, a large amount of chapters were created to participate in the Great Scouring and the safeguarding of the worlds of the (new) Imperium.

This was a very tumultuous time for the Imperium, so when the dust settled and a status quo was reached (well, sort of anyway) there was a less pressing need for marine chapters and foundings started to come further apart.

So, even though I think dividing the time between know foundings and spreading the in-between chapters accordingly is a good idea, it is my opinion that the first 10 or so foundings should be very close to eachother, very soon after the 2nd.

An added piece of 'evidence' for this theory is that the 13th founding was such a failure; perhaps they got a bit rusty doing it after so many years without a founding and screwed up because of lack of experience (cutting corners, misreading instructional tomes/files)? (13 actually being a lucky number instead of a bad-luck one...)

daeothar It worked out roughly at 222 years between foundings from the 3rd to the 21st. Maybe it would make more sense to have the early ones closer, with the laters ones further apart. After the 21st, its a millenium between foundings, so your theory is correct.

Ferrata

Ask Chaplain Desmondus if you want Marine Maleviolent info. As for the FOurth Foundig, I have no idea.

I doubt there is very much about it. I think only generally the Dark founding, Cursed founding and second foundings are known, the rest are a mystery.

:D Nothing is known about the Dark Founding so I don't think that counts.

Archived