Salamanders war doctrine

powerdogAoA

I'm making a army of marines that are part of the 2nd founding from the Salamander Charter, I know that they don't have one in the Space Marine Codex

but I was think that Is was time to build one, but not knowing the fighting doctrine that Salamanders use It's hard to build it right. Due they follow the codex by the book or are they little wild. Please help thank you

Working Link

That's got their history, doctrine and such.

The Salamanders follow normal Space Marine tactical and strategic dogma, with a slight variation to compensate for their own physical and mental traits. They have a preference for close-ranged firefights, using many melta and flamer weapons to smash armoured foes and bum whole swathes of lighter troops.

Coming from a society that places great prestige in craftsmanship and which has high regard for artisans, the Salamanders have access to, and can maintain, highly sophisticated forms of technology. This is most evident in the numbers of Terminators in their armies, as well as a greater proportion of artificer armour and master-crafted weaponry and is supplemented by regular trade with the Adeptus Mechanicus, made possible by Nocturne's abundant mineral resources.

There you go, enjoy! :lol:

I'm making a army of marines that are part of the 2nd founding from the Salamander Charter, I know that they don't have one in the Space Marine Codex

but I was think that Is was time to build one,

Read this:

The Salamanders have never been great in number and were the smallest of the First Founding Legions. Perhaps it is for this reason that there seem to have been no Second Founding successor Chapters formed from the Salamanders, whilst the other Legions were broken down into several smaller fighting forces.

It's always been a central tenet of Salamanders fluff that they were small in number and did not split after the heresy - because they didn't have the manpower to do so.

There are rumours that the Black dragons and storm lords use the salamander Geneseed. So there is a slight gap for you to create a successor of the Salamanders :rolleyes:

Weren't we just duscussing Sallies successors in the Liber Forum? It was only the second founding we can be fairly sure they had no successors, I'm sure their numbers returned after that. The High Lords would see to it, and the AM would use some of their gene seed for them. I'd make them a 3rd founding if I were you.

Since other people didn't use the idea, would you want them to be the Hellbenders? On top of being used as the name for the hummer-like attack truck in Unreal Tournament 2004, the actual Hellbender is a species of giant salamander!

The Salamanders did not really interact with other planets and its inhabitants. Thus the keep to themself and far surpassed other chapters as they did not depend on others. The Salamanders live almogst the people of Noctune and leave when needed. But them only take people for there planet and no other.

"Like many of the First Founding Chapters (and many subsequent ones as well), the Salamanders recruit exclusively from their homeworld. Children aspiring to become Space Marines begin at the age of six or seven as the apprentice to a Space Marine. They spend several years learning the art of the smith, and the most able apprentices are then judged by the chapter's Apothecaries and Chaplains to see if they are worthy to become marines. Their training includes many of the same feats the Emperor and Vulkan competed in, finally culminating in the hunting and slaying of a massive Salamander." :D From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamanders_(Warhammer_40,000)

This is why there are unknown successors so far. I think there will be none due to the above.

I know that they are small but if they are over 1000 marines they can't but make a new chapter. So I was hoping that in 10,000 years that they could have build up to at least 5000 marines, and in due so that they would follow the the Codex and the Emperor

So I was hoping that in 10,000 years that they could have build up to at least 5000 marines

Maybe they could have built their strength to these levels, maybe not, but that's immaterial, the dictates of the Codex Astartes forbid a Chapter to grow to that kind of size and the Salamanders have obeyed these strictures.

Now, as for Successors, well, there are no known Salamanders Successors, but that doesn't mean there aren't any, so a Sallies Successor is perfectly reasonable. Except for the Second Founding, it's categorically stated the Sallies had no 2nd Founding Successors and it's quite easy to see why with their heavily depleted ranks after the Istvaan Drop Site massacre they didn't have the strength necessary for the Legion to be split up the way the other Legions were. So a 2nd Founding Sallies Successor will gain you an awful lot of funny looks. 3rd Founding and later would be fine though, that's literally millenia later so there should be no problem there.

Let us know if you're going to continue DIYing a Successor Chapter and we'll send this over to Liber for you, where all good DIY Chapters belong...

So I can't have a 2nd founding but I could have a 3rd founding Right!, Then if this is the truth then I'll just have to be that way. What do you thinking?, I already have the color for the armor and a chapter name. So I hope not step on to many toes, if so that's the why the chainsword cuts

Aye, 3rd Founding is possible. Now, given you've developed your own colour/name I'll send this over to Liber and you can discuss your ideas with the nice folk over there...

Captain in Terminator armor with storm bolter and power sword

1, squad of scouts, 4 bolt pistols and CCWs, Sgt. with sniper rifle, 1 heavy bolter

1,Tactical squad, Vet Sgt. with power fist and bolt pistol and Terminator honors. 6 bolters 1 missile launcher and 1 flamer, plus 1 Vet marine in case I spilt the squad in two he has bolt pistol and CCW, and they all have frag & krag grenades

I have 3 other Tactical squads all about the same, but I need bikes(4), rhinos (2)

Assault squad and Devastator squad also a Lander Raider and 1 Dreadnought,

and a Terminator Squad, Librarian, Standard Bearer, and a Chaplain. If you see anything that I'm missing please feel free to ad your two cents :-)

It's always been a central tenet of Salamanders fluff that they were small in number and did not split after the heresy - because they didn't have the manpower to do so.

Actually I believe it was phrased as 'no known successors'. They have a slow recruitment process and were severely depleted after the Istvaan V debacle. So it is possible to have a 2nd founding successor,such a chapter would be not very well documented and perhaps secretive.however I have claimed my DIY chapter is a later founding to prevent people trying pick holes in my fluff.

So it is possible to have a 2nd founding successor,such a chapter would be not very well documented and perhaps secretive.however I have claimed my DIY chapter is a later founding to prevent people trying pick holes in my fluff.

A Salamander successor is not possible. They where a small legion to start with, and suffered to disasters in the heresey. First the drop site massacre, then the warp jump which when wrong, so they where under strength and couldnt not split. Sallies are not the type of legion to have a secret successor, or not talk about it.

Ferrata

Actually I believe it was phrased as 'no known successors'....

The Salamanders have never been great in number and were the smallest of the First Founding Legions. Perhaps it is for this reason that there seem to have been no Second Founding successor Chapters formed from the Salamanders, whilst the other Legions were broken down into several smaller fighting forces. Others point to the disaster at Istvaan V as reason for the lack of Second Founding Chapters (as many scholars believe the Salamanders to have been present at this infamous massacre). It is a matter of debate whether there have been Successor Chapters during subsequent Foundings, although it appears likely and many scholars point to similarities in the physique, markings and tactical dogma of Chapters such as the Storm Giants and Black Dragons. Recent questions regarding the purity of the Black Dragons' gene-seed has led to some Genetor-Biologis questioning the purity of their source zygotes, but the legacy and reputation of the Salamander has led to their detractors being openly ridiculed.

Read into that what you will. 99.9% of people will laugh if you suggest you have a second-founding Salamanders successor. It's part of what makes the Salamanders unique. I don't see why a Salamanders successor needs to be second founding - what does it particularly lend to your fluff?

OK It's not It's 3rd founding and if you read they were able to field 6 companies for the plant Armageddon and if they only had 5 companies after the Heresy, be that they made the longest warp jump in history losing half of their chapter, but they still were able to be massacre at Istvaan V landing site so if they were small in the beginning how could the still be effect fight until when it comes to a space marine chapter. Now!, my argument is that no one knows for sure how many marines the Salamanders have or if the they have a 3rd founding or not. I see no harm in making one up DO YOU :blush: Also they are suppose to have 7 companies

you do the math I don't think be that if they take so long to field marines that they could be effect in any fight, and that Chaos would hurt the chapter down and wipe them out ::cuss:

I'm sure we've said this somewhere else

2nd Founding - No

3+ Founding - Go Ahead

Sallies at the Heresey

Small Legion to start with

Istvaan V killed loads

Tried to warp jump to Terra to help. Heavy Loses

At the end of heresey not the rquired 2000 marines to make 2 chapters, so stay as one.

Later foundings only need 50 marines (guess) to go train the new chapter so they dont need to give out large amounts of men.

Armegeddon was ages after the Heresy

Ferrata

OK again I was hoping to just make up one company of marines, and I thought that going with the 3rd founding was great but some still think that I going belond the rules. So i hope that this ends this little tiff and I can get on with my new CHAPTER :blush:

I would take a deep breath and relax Powerdog. :blush:

OK again I was hoping to just make up one company of marines, and I thought that going with the 3rd founding was great but some still think that I going belond the rules.
Ferrata was saying you CAN make them third or later founding, so you seem to have mis-read / misenterpreted his post.
2nd Founding - No

3+ Founding - Go Ahead

People are giving you feedback on your idea, mainly that second successors for the Salamanders are out, along with explaining why, and at the same time saying that third and later foundings are OK.

I would suggest reading this very useful stickythread from Index Astartes about, among others, the Salamanders - Link. There is plenty of great info there.

The Chapter Creation Stickythread - Link - is also worth reading.

I am not sure what you mean by creating one company of marines. Could you explain, as a chapter contains more than just a company, even the Sals, who have more than 10 squads in theirs.

DEEP BREATH ^_^ LET IT OUT ;) ;) OK guys thanks for your help, A'm well on my way to making my company, so I plan to make one company for now. Later if money let me I'll make more. Hey how do I make sure that one steals my name for my Chapter Please help. B) Plus when I make up the history I'll show the 10 full companies

Archived