Combat doctrine change?

mysteryman

Hello all. I had an idea for a chapter which I thought was pretty decent but i was going to run a question by you very knowledgeable people. Under duress circumstances would a chpater radically change its combat doctrine?

the quick rundown of my idea was this: (insert name, which is coming) were once very devout followers of the codex astartes, but then when most of the chapter, about 7 or 8 companies were away fighting, their homeworld and fortress monastry as well as the reamaining compainies were destroyed by a Tyranid fleet. after this incident they vowed to hunt down every last Tyranid in the galaxy or die trying.

that was just the basic idea which i will expand upon in a little while. i want to convert the models to have lots of Tyranid trophies and use 'suffer not the alien to live'. this is just the very start of the project but would it work with their doctrine change.?

I imagine so. Space Marines focus on honour a lot. So they'd naturally want vengeance and focus on trying to get vengeance - including learning how to kill Tyranids. It sounds like you have a good justification for changing your chapter's combat doctrine.

Well even the great upholders of the doex (Ultramarines) have altered their fighting style to fight the 'nids. They even had Nid war vets added to the codex, so I'm guessing a chapter with lesser ties to the codex would more easily change doctrine.

Maybe going from shooty to combaty very quickly might be overdone, but a slow progress (like my chapter) makes sense.

Ferrata

The Ultramarines had a big massive debate didn't they though about it?.

I image a chapter would change their doctrine especially in a bid to save their chapter from destruction. You could perhaps play with the change later on, stating that the chapter makes itself repent for their extreme actions. After all they have sought vengeance and revenge (Both selfish acts )rather than following the Holy Codex and Emperor ;)

I'm also sure some chapters are the other way - would rather die than change their doctrine. It just depends on the minds of the Chapter and Chapter Master.

Make sure you show us some of you fluff when it gets developed as the idea is perfectly plausible :mellow:

The Ultramarines had a big massive debate didn't they though about it?.

Yup. Every single marine had their say. Calgar listened to all of them, then made a decision. If they could prove themselves, they would be accpeted. Guess what, they did :mellow:

Ferrata

Well its not so much a huge doctrine change as more a shift in thinking away from sticking to the codex astartes. Hopefully I will be able to do a proper write up on them this weekend. Their still coming together in my head but its getting there.

Archived