Commanders and Chapter traits

Arremess

So I'm looking through the Space Marine Codex and a curious thing occurs to me.

There's apparently no option for Space Marine Commanders to take the Chapter traits of the army... :\

The trait I was looking at in particular is "trust your battle brothers" and it lists several squad types (including Command Squads) but doesn't have an option for giving your HQ selections the same skills. So if my command squad has the skill and my Independant Character doesn't.. Can the Squad even use the skill? They've been joined by a model without the skill and that would seem to negate their ability unless the option of including the IC in the skill selection, as per the Command Squad "special skills" section on page 29 of the C:SM book which says "all models in a Command Squad (including leading/attached Characters) may be upgraded....." applies to chapter traits as well.

Help me out here, is there any way to get my IC's the TYBB trait?

If you buy your command squad a skill, you can buy the IC the skill for the same points. This goes for all of the skills, infiltrate tank hunters etc. So if you buy your Command Squad trust your bb's, your HQ can get it to.

As for skills which all members must have, check the rule book, some do and some dont. Furious charge doesnt not while infiltrate does

Ferrata

If you buy your command squad a skill, you can buy the IC the skill for the same points. This goes for all of the skills, infiltrate tank hunters etc. So if you buy your Command Squad trust your bb's, your HQ can get it to.

As for skills which all members must have, check the rule book, some do and some dont. Furious charge doesnt not while infiltrate does

Ferrata

Where does it specifically list the Chapter traits as being elligible for purchase this way? The Command Squad listing on page 29 says:

"...may be upgraded to have one of the following skills: Furious Charge; Tank Hunters; Infiltrate...."

(emphasis was mine)

I'm really looking for a specific ruling in the Rulebook, Codex or a FAQ that allows me to give my IC's the Chapter Traits as well...

Thanks for the skills info though :mellow:

The HQ cannot have traits. They can have skills though (From the command squad) But traits is more like organisation where as skills are the abilities the marines have :mellow:

The HQ cannot have traits. They can have skills though (From the command squad) But traits is more like organisation where as skills are the abilities the marines have

Yeah, and Trust your battle brother adds 2 skills to this list, thus the HQ can take them.

Ferrata

Trust your Battle Brothers

Any Command Squad, veteran squad, tatical squad, assault squad or devastator squad may take the skills counter-attack and true grit at a cost of XX points per model for both skills....

So seems Ferrata's correct (at least I would allow it).

It's not explicit, but it seems to me like the description of characters in command squads strongly implies that the character is "part of the squad". As such, he is just another model in the squad for the purposes of buying skills. From this perspective, the text in the command squads that says "including leading/attached characters" is really just clarifying the existing rule from the Space Marine Character section, rather than introducing a new rule that applies only to the skills listed in the Command Squad description.

Note that this is just my interpretation, and its fuzzy. The rules are vague on this point (not the first place this has happened).

ok that makes sense and looking over pg 21 of the C:SM, point 2 under Space Marine Characters does say "The Character is a member of the unit and may not leave it"

As a member of the unit I am actually required to purchase the skill for the IC if I want the Command Squad to purchase it because the trait itself says that all members of the squad must be upgraded.

ok, I'm satisfied with my understanding of it now. Thanks for all the replies everyone

Archived