Naming my DIY Chapter

Hyperion

I've decided to use templar icons for my DIY Chapter, because of the abundance of great bits that are about to be released. I'm also going to use the Forgeworld icons, which say "Templar" on some of them. Therefore I'd like to name my Chapter the ______ Templars, but I'm not sure what to go for. They are a standard codex chapter and will have codex markings.

The colour scheme is shown in these pics (sorry the colour is a bit grainy, the pic went odd when I saved it as a JPEG):

Link 1

Link 2

I was thinking of maybe the Imperial Templars, Blood Templars (hmm, maybe not)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not to go too far out, but why the "two part" name options?

Even the "knight templars" were actually the "felowship of poor christian knights of the temple of soloman in jerusalem". It is just easier to write and say 'templars".

Just a thought. Maybe something along the lines of " brotherhood of the temple of ____" or "Order of the temple of _____". Just an idea.

I am thinking of something similar with a steel armor white highlights and a red cross. I see the "black templars based more on the "order of St. John", than the temple knighthood.

Thanks for the replies.

Marines/Order of the Temple of ____________ - hmm, an interesting idea. Maybe the founder of the Chapter was defending an Imperial temple and had a vision of a saint (a bit like Gaunt and Saint Sabbatine). The only thing is, does it make them a bit too much like Sisters?

Guess I'll need to go for a Holy Relic now, won't I?!

It seems strange to use a chapter called the x templars and use the standard ultramarine rules.

How about the Templars of Guilliman? Or the Templars of Ultramar? Such dedication to the codex indicates close links to the Ultramarines.

Why not have them searching for a particular relic, lost for many centuries: Emperor's Toenails, the original Black Sword, one of the Primarchs' weapons/suits of armour, that sort of thing. They are then the temple guardians of that relic, although the item itself is absent.

Hell, you could even have them losing the relic they were supposed to guard and give them a reason for a major penitent crusade (always a good reason to fight battles).

What about the "Guardian Warriors of the Temple of [insert name of relic]", which could easily shorten to the "Templar Guardians" or "Guardian Templars"

It's mainly a practical modelling decision! I want a codex army with access to all the usual stuff (rather than a frothing-at-the-mouth CC army) but with plenty of available bits.

Maybe they are from Imperial Fists geneseed but for some reason have become disillusioned by the legacy of Dorn and are more impressed by the example of Guilliman?

++Edit++

too many colours that clash horrendously

:huh: Dark blue with black and dark red highlights, with brass chest eagles (yeah, that's supposed to be brass)(btw the blue is meant to be a solid colour not camo, the pic is just weird) and white helmets for veterans. Didn't think this was too horrible - oh well, each to their own! :)

Guardian Warriors of the Temple of [insert name of relic]

I think that name is getting a bit long :huh: Maybe have them called [insert name of relic] Templars, so the Toenail Templars

It seems strange to use a chapter called the x templars and use the standard ultramarine rules.

How about the Templars of Guilliman? Or the Templars of Ultramar? Such dedication to the codex indicates close links to the Ultramarines.

Not really. Most newly founded chapters adhere closely to the codex because they know nothing else. All new chapters follow the codex until either the veterans which train them tell them otherwise, or something happens to make them change. Also, just because they have Templar in their name doesnt mean they are an Imperial Fist (thus Black Templar) successor, they could be a Sallie or Raven Guard one.

Ferrata

Guardian Warriors of the Temple of [insert name of relic]

I think that name is getting a bit long  :huh:  Maybe have them called [insert name of relic] Templars, so the Toenail Templars

I refer you to Einsatz' post, as well as the suggested contractions later in the same sentence of mine.

The relic of Sigismund is a really cool idea, lets see, what did he have? The Armour of Faith, the Black Sword...

Actually, after re-reading the hype fluff from the release of the original Emperor's Champion model, I think the Black Sword would be a really cool thing for them to search for/guard: pre-imperial, given to Sigismund by Dorn, and it is rumoured that Dorn got it from the Emperor himself. If that is not the holy shiznits then I don't know what is...

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm currently leaning towards the Imperial Templars. Sounds too obvious I hear you say? Hmm, possibly, but it's short for The Order of the Temple of the Imperium. ie: they believe that the Imperium is their temple and it is their duty to defend it. This leads to two nice follow-ons: firstly, although they fight any threat to the Imperium they particularly despise aliens (which ties in nicely with my WIP Ordo Xenos army and their close links with the Deathwatch); and secondly, although they are of Imperial Fist geneseed they revere Guilliman as the saviour of the Imperium and follow the Codex very closely (which obviously leads to a little bit of tension when they cross paths with the IF and other successors).

What do you reckon?

++Edit++

I was wondering about a suitable Holy Relic. One possibility is a really really old version of the Codex (signed/touched by Guilliman!). Also it gives me an excuse to add books to my characters and vehicles...

Unless your chapter reveres Guilliman over Rogal Dorn, the (Codex-Compliant) Imperial Fists wouldn't mind the respect you show.

As to the signed copy of the Codex Astartes, I believe that the Astartes would have been a huge tome. Even in the Ultramarines, marines are only required to remember a small section of it. Perhaps something smaller in scale?

Unless your chapter reveres Guilliman over Rogal Dorn

I was thinking along those lines, yes!

If the codex is that big, then maybe they have a "small" section of a very old version (the Ultramarines probably have the whole original, but I imagine that Guilliman had many copies made for dispersal to the Legions/Chapters).

I like the scheme. it stands out. You need to color the eyes so they stand out, though. Where did you get those templates?

As for the name, I think you need a word that sounds strong to proceed Templars. Hust the two. More than 3 words in a Chapter name and it sounds more like an SOB order. The first thing that jumped into my head was "Ardent Templars", but in light of their blue color, I think "Cobalt Templars" has a nice ring to it.

Why not simply make them an Ultramarines successor? The blue/red scheme looks very similar, though the new BT bitz will give you enough stylistic differences, and this "searching for the holy [thingamabob] of Guilliman/other imperial worshipee" sounds like it could fit an Ultramarines successor quite easily. They don't have to search exclusively for one thing either, though they might have a "grail" that is their final goal they could take any opportunity to retrieve holy items or defend shrines on remote planets.

You could then name them something like Templars of Ultramaar, Ultra-Templars (maybe not...) or Templars of Guilliman.

More great ideas - thanks!

I've pretty much settled on Imperial Templars (well, for the time being). I know this is fairly basic, but it hasn't been used (unlike Dark Templars, which is a good name) and seems to fit in 40K without being out of place.

The colour scheme is going to be quite dark (a cross between Crimson Fists and Black Templars - hmm).

Anyway, thanks again! :D

Archived