Run something through

CB319

How about thus, after earth has been taked by the emperor, a group of soldiers decide that they are not ok with it. They form a secret cult called "The virtuos hands" where they try to find others of similar conviction.

This bunch get drawn into the horus heresy, and at the height of the heresy, defect from the imperial army and escape to a relatively unknown planet. There, the cult grows and the teachings of the cult are passed on generation after generation. Eventually, because of some happenings, the high lords order the creation of a new chapter to guard an area, and by chance, the planet is chosen as the recruiting-ground of the new chapter.

Over time, the teachings of the virtuos hands have been fully assimilated into the chapter (since marine chapters frequently follow the customs and traditions of the planet their marines were all recruited from), and the chapter eventually changes its name to the virtuos hands (name-changing doesn't need the express permission of the high-lords. they could even claim to change the name in memory of a special event).

Et voila, you have a virtuos hands chapter with an IG regiment of the same desposition on the planet they have recruited from.

Lol, back on the eleventh of August I posted this (back on page One):

Perhaps your planet's homeworld was one of the earliest human colonies (blown far away by a warp storm or some such). Perhaps they kept ancient traditions alive, perhaps when a marine chapter recruited from them they based themselves on an ancient unit that had served the Emperor faithfully in the past.

It seems that Takeda expanded upon it and managed to express it in a way that you were interested. Now that your chapter is moving closer to what could be considered 'in-line' with current fluff, I think it's improving markedly.

Geez, this is getting to be one of the longest fluff articles I've seen. Alright, how about this (and please help me with the wording:)

During the Conquest of Terra by the Emperor, several of the early space marines became horrified by some of the atrocities committed in retribution for minor attacks.

As such, when the Great Crusade began, they made sure that they were lost in the turmoil, and disappeared onto a world on the rim of the galaxy.

They became, through the generations, something of cult, passing on their values through the generations, equality, freedom, and [insert phrase for not unnecessarily killing civilians.]

They also maintained a ship, and a number of their old Thunder Armor suits, and created their own colors. They would often show up in the middle of a losing battle and turn the tide in favor of the Imperium. Because of their old armor, many soldiers came to believe that the cult members were ancient spirits who came to rescue Imperial soldiers during a time of need.

About the time of the Horus Heresy, they gained a name: The Virtuous Hands, given to them by the loving population of the planet they lived on, in return for the Hands' great acts of charity.

About 300 years ago, a new Space Marine Chapter was formed, the Imperial Panthers, who recruited and were based on the same planet where the Hands were living. Within two or three generations, everyone in the Panthers was a Hand. The Imperial Panthers changed their name to the Virtuous Hands, changed their colors, and even switched to using the purer gene-seed that the Hands had kept in perfect condition for 10,000 years (in essence making them a 10,000-year old Chapter, dating from the original Conquest of Terra and the creation of the Space Marines.)

With the arrival of new communications equipment, the Hands had started to find other marines with the same disaffection for needless killing, and often arrange for them to become MIA, only for them to 'coincidentally' arrive at the doorstep of the Virtuous Hands. In this way, the numbers of the Hands has grown to about 2,500 Marines. They also do the same thing with Imperial Guardsmen, who have been formed into a section called the Virtuous Guard. They number around 5,000.

The Virtuous Hands are very influential, and have a number of sympathisers planted in the high ranks of the Imperial Military.

There we go. What do you think? Not only do they date from the Conquest of Terra, but it seems perfectly acceptable. Now, the wording needs to be changed, and if anyone can offer help in that area, that would be very nice.

Well, circumstantial fluff suggests that Space Marines are rendered sterile from the chemotherapy they undergo. Perhaps a better idea would simply be a group of humans that left Earth during the great crusade. (During the Conquest of Terra, weren't there warp-storms throughout the galaxy?)

The idea being that if they're ordinary humans, they would be able to create and sustain their own colony. Now, they belonged to a secretive group similar to today's Freemasons. The group called themselves the Virtuous Hands, and their creed was carried on for many millenia. Eventually a Space Marine chapter arrives and their creed of the Virtuous Hands is slowly merged into the chapter's ethos.

The chapter then re-names itself the Virtuous Hands and tries to help cure the injustices it sees. That would be far more acceptable to most than the idea of a group of defecting marines from the heresy.

I never said they defected from the Heresy. And I didn't make it clear that the planet the Hands were originally on was inhabited, and the Hands drew a small number of recruits from the populace each generation.

Sweet .. Illuminati of the future!!! Who needs detailed fluff for that?! Just make it real ambiguous.

Btw, once it hits page 2 on Liber, I'd say it was accepted as "good enough" :rolleyes:

This has been a great discussion! I have learned a lot about the Imperium's history and design. THIS is why I visit B&C a lot. If anythng it helps with my own stories.

I have nothing to add or subtract here. But I like throwing a pebble in the pond every now and then.

Man, in the end CB319, it's your story :lol:

Much much better CB, I'm liking it!

For how it started, you could say those marines stayed on the planet till they died and passed on their teachings. The ancient armor was kept in good state and kept as relics. As the virtuos hands get incorperated into the new chapter, the ancient armor is taken out of hiding, dusted of and worn with great pride. Whaddaya think? You'll have to work out more details yourself tho.

And you can still use the genestealer cult idea. Maybe the population found out of a genestealer cult infiltrating and corrupting their planet. The members of the virtuos hands (normal humans) rallied the population and built an army to combat this cult, and after much fighting, won. This deed would have brought the eye of the imperium to the region, and in light of a possible tyranid intrest in the area and the fighting prowess of the planet's population, they dicided to start a new marine chapter there to safe-guard the area. The rest of the story you know. Interesting?

;) keep up the good work!

Here is another Chronicler. Don't look at me funny, though, I know how it's painted.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/5186/mk30013lc.th.jpg

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/619/mk30021ga.th.jpg

It's a bit fuzzier than usual, I don't know why. I also did a lot of other stuff:

I added the purity seals to this fuzzy chronicler:http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/7118/group20012eq.th.jpg

As well as this one:http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/6746/group20020cp.th.jpg

And I added the purity seals to this fuzzy chaplain:http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/9632/group20032fh.th.jpg

Finally a clear picture. I finished this multi-melta by adding a purity seal:http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/7417/group20040su.th.jpg

I also added spare rockets, a fannypack, and a pistol in holster to this rocket launcher devastator, also finishing it (sorry for the bad lighting:)http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/1521/group20058vb.th.jpg

And to round it off, I'm almost done with this Emperor's Champion, just need to do the grass and the details on the sword:http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/6596/group20062zc.th.jpg

As for that last one, what would be the revised rules for it? And do Emperor's Champions have to use melee weapons? Because I thought of a cool idea for an Emperor's Champion last night that involved lots of pistols.

This is a fluff forum and not an art or painting one. Plus no need to get all hot and bothered as you've not waited that long considering this forum isn't one of the fastest :huh:

Try the PCA for some opinions

What? That's insane! Oh, well. It works fluff-wise for two reasons. One, while the Black Templars do have more ECs, I don't remember reading anything that says they have the only ones, though I'll believe you if you find something that says only they can have them.

And two, while it's not likely, and I don't think it will ever happen, it would be possible for a Black Templar EC to turn over to the Hands.

It works fluff-wise, I'll leave the rules to you guys.

As far as longer versions of the fluff go, I'm currently working on finishing off my Devastator Squad. I finished the Plasma Cannon, and am working on the Heavy Bolter. After that, I'm gonna do the Lascannon, then I'll work on the longer fluff.

Gah...and I've spent so long painting it. Oh, well, it will look good, and I'm sure it will be just fine in un-official games. Hey, I just realized I'm three posts away from having a six-page long fluff thread. I'm going to check the lengths of others, but this is definitely in the top-ten longest.

Wait, what if I counted the EC as an allies unit? Can I do that? And does the combat knife give it an extra attack? And at what strength? And does it look good?

mmmmm... even in unofficial games, I'd say he's a little iffy in 4th edition rules. And once the new BT codex is out, you won't even be able to use him in friendly games like that at all, since his new rules will directly intertwined with the rest of the BT army.

As for using him as an ally... doesn't work too.

The knife can give him an extra cc attack at the same strenght as his normal attack. It's like the normal rules.

Archived